Contemporary Library Architecture: A Planning and Design Guide 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Focusing on the practical issues which need to be addressed by anyone involved in library design, here Ken Worpole offers his renowned expertise to architects, planners, library professionals, students, local government officers and members interested in creating and sustaining successful library buildings and services. Contemporary Library Architecture: A Planning and Design Guide features:
- a brief history of library architecture
- an account of some of the most distinctive new library designs of the 20th & 21st centuries
- an outline of the process for developing a successful brief and establishing a project management team
- a delineation of the commissioning process
- practical advice on how to deal with vital elements such as public accessibility, stock-holding, ICT, back office functions, children’s services, co-location with other services such as learning centres and tourist & information services an sustainability
- in depth case studies from around the world, including public and academic libraries from the UK, Europe and the US
- full colour illustrations throughout, showing technical details and photographs.
This book is the ultimate guide for anyone approaching library design.
Frequently bought together
About the Author
Ken Worpole is Emeritus Professor at the Cities Institute, London Metropolitan University, and adviser on public policy to the UK government, the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment, and the Heritage Lottery Fund. He is also the author of many books and studies on architecture, landscape and urban design. The Independent newspaper wrote that ‘for many years Ken Worpole has been one of the shrewdest and sharpest observers of the English social landscape.'
- Publisher : Routledge; 1st edition (July 10, 2013)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 216 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0415592305
- ISBN-13 : 978-0415592307
- Item Weight : 1.75 pounds
- Dimensions : 8.6 x 0.5 x 10.8 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #1,264,973 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews: