Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business (New Rules Social Media Series)
Amazon Vehicles Celebrity Picks 2016 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Gift Sets Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Sting Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 62 reviews(5 star, verified purchases). Show all reviews
on November 29, 2010
I should preface this review by saying I have been podcasting and creating content for the web for over five years now, and that I regularly help clients do the same. This said, I was expecting Content Rules to be a good book on the subject, but perhaps one of those that did not speak to me, because of my experience. I was wrong- Content Rules speaks to everyone- even seasoned content creators, by providing the metrics we may know around content creation, but haven't yet articulated, and helps make the case for content for everyone from people getting their feet wet on the Web for the first time, to those who are looking to raise their game and up their level of engagement with others online.

Content Rules is compelling and honest from the introduction on. It is a book I can hand my clients, friends, teachers- almost anyone who wonders why people need to or bother creating content for the web- to help not only explain why compelling content is important, but how to create it. It helps people break down the barriers that often get in the way of creating compelling content, and instead gives them some parameters on how to make sure your authentic and compelling voice shine through. In addition, the examples and case studies in the book bring the rules to life, in a way that will help folks understand how to find their human voice, and why that is so important to success in contrast to another paragraph of over-polished, sanitized, personality-free "safe" messaging.

I'm really excited by Content Rules as a book I can enthusiastically pass on to friends, colleagues, clients and more. If it's between a more generic book on social media or online marketing and this one, you need Content Rules because it will help you understand the fundamental approach you need to take regardless of the tool, platform, network or marketing plan- you need to concentrate on your Content first.
22 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2013
I purchased this book when it was first published and I finally got around to reading it. I'm about to launch a new website and I knew I needed to read this book first. Although I haven't yet finished it, the book is providing me with ideas about how to reimagine my existing content and it even suggests a publishing schedule with daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual tasks. If you are just starting a blog, read this book first. If you have been writing a blog for a while (like me) and are looking for new inspiration and oomph, this is a wonderful book. It also makes a strong case for videos and podcasts (which I've been avoiding) but now I'm shopping for a camcorder. It's a worthwhile book for every blogger in every industry. I know that I'm going to recommend it and loan it to friends and clients.
on October 26, 2015
Content Rules is one of those timeless content marketing books that works for any business (I actually just bought a copy for my church). Ann Handley and C.C. Chapman walk you through the mindset of creating valuable content, then dig into the myriad of ways you can do so.

Even though Content Rules is a few years old, I'd argue that it's more relevant now than ever before, as we have more tools for creating and repurposing content from channels that weren't as established when the book was first written (think social, but even through marketing automation and new publishing channels like LinkedIn and Medium).

If you're new to content marketing, start here. If you've been at it awhile, come back to this book for a refresher on ways you can repurpose and reconnect with your customer base.
on May 2, 2015
I read a ton of books about content and marketing (I own a content agency), and this is one of my favorites. I recommend it to many of our clients and have even purchased a few extra copies to pass around to our team.

For the uninitiated, it's a fantastic overview to what the possibilities are for content, how to draft a strategy, and how to create something effective that can truly connect. For those with more experience, there are plenty of fantastic reminders to go beyond one's area of expertise to create something compelling and high-impact (and sans silly buzz words). And even for experts there is something helpful in this book.

Sure it can't be your be-all when it comest to content, but it's more than a solid foundation. And while not everyone can make even decent content--or decent content of all types--this book lets them know what they need to look for and ask for from agencies and freelancers they work with. I can't help but to say this book helps to get everyone on the same page.
on January 25, 2013
Content Rules has finally cracked the Social Media code for me. For years I had utilized various platforms, but never "got" how they can (and are supposed to) all work together. It gives insights that make the daunting thought of "content creation" so manageable and even FUN. The back of the book includes real world applications at various organizations that puts the ideas into practice which helped me tremendously. My copy has so many tabs and highlights that I know it will be the go-to book on my desk for years to come.
on January 23, 2011
I have developed hundreds of websites over the last 10 years, and have to say that these authors know their stuff. Even though I'm already familiar with most of the techniques offered in this book, it's an excellent primer on how to use online content to improve your business.

Content Rules is incredibly effective because it stresses the importance of using your own voice to create blog posts, videos and more. In other words, create content much like the way you would have a natural conversation with someone. Just as important, the book emphasizes using content to educate and entertain, rather than use it as a sales pitch.

The book teaches you how to come up with ideas for useful content, even if you're not sure where to start. You will learn how to create effective blog posts, useful podcasts, captivating customer success stories, and helpful videos.

One of the most eye-opening chapters of the book deals with giving your Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page a makeover. After writing hundreds of FAQ pages for clients, I never considered that there was room for improvement. But after reading this book, I now have some excellent ideas on how to make those pages, as well as my own company's FAQ page, much more effective.

Many books on writing copy or creating web content only offer you theories of what works, they don't always back up those ideas with facts. But the final chapters of Content Rules provide real examples of how everyone from the U.S. Army to Kodak were able to use content to improve web traffic.

If you're an experienced web developer, this book may not bring much to the table, though I guarantee it will offer you a few new tips. If you're new to web marketing, Content Rules is a terrific starting point. Best of all, it simplifies how to create and distribute useful content if you're not web-savvy.

This is definitely a book that every web developer, internet marketer, or business owner should add to their collection.
on May 21, 2015
I was recommended this book by a friend who has his own business and is seriously impressed. What a brilliant guide to content marketing. It gives much more than I ever expected. The information is in depth and requires a 2nd or maybe even a 3rd read. Next time round though, I will be checking out many of the sites and blogs recommended. So much information its quite scary - but really exciting. I am looking forward to starting my own blogs and doing something serious with them.
on February 22, 2013
With content marketing becoming such an important part of marketing these days, this is a great tool to help you figure out how to do it well for you company or brand. C.C. and Ann give lots of great advice and tons of examples on exactly how to do this right - whether your a big B2C brand or a small B2B brand. It is written so you'll get something out of it even if you're a seasoned marketer like myself. But it isn't written over the head of the novice either.

If you're thinking of dipping your toe into content creation or are just looking for ideas to pump up your existing content marketing efforts, there's something for you in this book!
on May 11, 2013
I have used social media for personal use for years, but mainly limited to posting pictures of the family and keeping up with friends. This book helped me see the business potential for social media and explained it in an easy to follow format. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn how to better utilize facebook, twittter, blogs, etc. for their business.
on April 1, 2013
I bought about five books on building my internet site. This was one of the better ones that I bought and read. I have marks and highlights all through the book and I am getting ready to go back through it and pick back up on the major ideas that I want to implement. It is great for a person with limited experience like myself. I enjoyed reading the book. Jim