Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 65 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 66 reviews
on December 23, 2011
Received the item yesterday and looks like it's well made. I'm giving 4 stars since it's a job sliding the thing off.....really tight.Very thin material but I think it would hold and not break. I placed a rubber o-ring in between the base and the male thread so it does not push it all the way when tightening it. I figure that a thin plastic like that would really crack if the threads pushes on it.....hopefully that's the case. I will definitely give it a try tomorrow. This thing should come standard with the Contour, unfortunately "NOT".

I tested it for a good 12 miles on a bumpy gravel trail today and no signs of crack yet.
review image
on May 1, 2013
They say it's a universal mount for any Contour camera but really this product was only built for the Contour GPS and HD models (says so for this product on the contour website). If you have a +2 or Roam2 like myself you can just go ahead and buy the ball stud and screw it directly under the Roam2.

Ball Stud for Cameras: http://www.amazon.com/Mount-Ball-4-20-Stud-Cameras/dp/B003CMNXTI/ref=pd_sim_p_24

Then mount it to whatever base you have. I use it on my motorcycle fork stem with a short socket arm. You might want a longer socket arm if you it to sit higher for a better view. I have the short one because I sometimes use a GPS that I don't want above my windshield.

Fork Stem Base: http://www.amazon.com/Mounts-Fork-Stem-Base-RAM-B-342/dp/B001RHVS8I/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1367464670&sr=8-10&keywords=ram+mount+motorcycle
Short Socket Arm: http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mount-Aluminum-Short-Socket/dp/B000WJ90K0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367464670&sr=8-5&keywords=ram+mount+motorcycle
on December 27, 2012
A perfect way to get a tripod mount in addition to the standard helmet / goggle mounts provided. Mount allows the camera to be used with a GorillaPod tripod to provide more versatility to the camera. Good center of balance when using this way. NOTE: Latest models of Contour cameras available end of 2012 have the screw mount hole embedded in the camera now.

Like Helmet mounts, is fairly tight. Actually, ridiculously tight. The tightness is likely good if you use the mount in a rough environment (like motorcycle handle bar) and never remove it. But not usable if wanting to take the camera on and off this mount in the field. What makes the mount near impossible to get off (and causes the "click of death" sound when you put it on) are those little tabs on the rails. Four of them. Those tabs provide a level of safety to prevent the camera from sliding off. But they cause a crazy amount of force against the whole track to make it too tough to slide. Since I only wanted to use this with a tripod in a still environment (not mounted to a ski pole, for example), I used an exacto knife to shave off the tabs. So now missing the "click/lock" feature but the mount slides on and off much easier (without being too loose either).

As stated elsewhere, you cannot slide this mount on while the tether is on the camera. Hence, find another solution for an interchangeable pole and goggle/helmet mount if you plan to use the tether. (Tether is a must when you go down hard with the goggle/helmet mount -- you will never find the camera in the powder!)
on October 27, 2014
Quality mount for your Contour Roam. The only reason to get this is if you want to quickly slide your camera in/out when one of your mounting points require a standard tripod mount, otherwise the camera itself has a standard tripod mount on the bottom of the unit, which is not entirely obvious unless you do a moderate amount of research.
on October 28, 2012
I've used it for intermediate to low advanced mountain biking in the Santa Cruz Mountains with my Contour 1080p HD and it works perfect. No problem sliding the camera in and out of the mount and the mount doesn't break. The mount holds the camera securely.

I'm trying to invent a better handlebar mounting system and so far every design fails but at least this mount does what it is supposed to and survives my falls in rocks.
on October 7, 2011
I purchased a ContourHD and a few accessories to record myself during motorsports. I included this mount in the package because I had an existing tripod installed in my car - I had a point and shoot attached to it, but was looking to upgrade.

This adapter works fine if you want to put it on a free-standing tripod, but in my case it didn't work - it's because adding this fitting onto the Contour adds ~5mm in height to the Contour which is too high for where I have my tripod mounted. It's a nice accessory otherwise; it feels strong and slides OK. The earlier commenter complaint about the tether on the camera side not fitting with this adapter is definitely true, but it's not something that concerns me individually.

I understand it's my fault that it doesn't work for my application, but Contour should seriously reconsider needing this thing in the first place. Save your customers the 15 bucks and just build the threaded fitting into the camera body. Then I'd be able to use my tripod. For now, this thing is sitting in my box unused. $15 not well spent.
on September 30, 2011
In spite of the description that claims this is designed to work with the ContourHD, this tripod-mount adapter does not appear to be designed specifically for the ContourHD.

The camera has indentations in the slots into which the mount fit, and the mount has what appear to be matching bumps that should align with the indentations to provide a more secure fit. However, the mount does not slide far enough onto the camera for the bumps to line up and fit into the indentations, leaving the camera attached solely through friction.

Fortunately, the friction seems to be tight enough to prevent much movement. But this is definitely a mount where you'd want to make sure the camera tether is attached in case the camera comes loose.

I really would prefer a mount that is designed specifically for the camera, especially at the given price. I'll use this one, but I'll be nervous every second about it sliding off.
on April 11, 2012
I have most of the mounts for my Contour GPS, and I guess I'm just amazed how poorly thought out the products and mounts are, not one of them is effective and simple.

I tried installing this mount, it goes on about half way and then gets really hard to continue because of the design. I pushed a little further then decided as hard as it was to get on if I proceeded I would never get it off. I really thought I was going to break the camera just getting it back off.

Contour seems to care more about looks than functionality. How hard would it have been to design a STANDARD 1/4 x 20 mount into the camera?
on July 29, 2017
Nice to have to keep mount in place and remove the camera.
VINE VOICEon November 28, 2012
I ordered this mount at the same time I ordered my Contour ROAM 2 camera. But when the camera arrived, I discovered that it has a 1/4" x 20 tripod socket already on it. So, I really don't need this one much - but there are times when it does come in very handy. If you want to mount your Contour to a tripod, take it off, put it back on, etc. then this is worth having. Otherwise, you'll be screwing the camera on and off repeatedly. With this mount, you just slide the camera in and out as needed. I also like the idea of using this mount to prevent accidental over-tightening of the tripod screw from breaking my camera! Let the mount crack instead of the camera housing if that happens.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.