Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
on February 15, 2015
Works great. I did a lot of research and the contour is a great deal for the price. I've found that the 720 hd at 60fps is the best setting for what I use it for, and in that regard it does not have the same picture quality as a GoPro. However, it was one third the price when I purchased it so you have to take that into consideration. I use mine for hunting and shooting for reference.

Highlights:
Low profile compared to a go pro for helmet/earmuff mounting. It does not get hung up on trees or brush as easily.
Having both the 1/4-20 stud mount and the contour grooves gives you a wide variety of mounting options, especially if you buy a go-pro adaptor for their mounts.
The slide switch for on and off is the best feature compared to the go-pro. No wondering if the camera is on, and having to flip if around to see if the red light is on. (a real benefit if mounted by the muzzle of a gun)
Adjustable lens makes getting a perfectly square shot easy regardless of the mounting situation.
Lowlights:
Settings have to be changed hooked up to a computer, so if weather or lighting conditions are going to change drastically you lose optimal exposure.
Wide angle view (same angle as every other action cam, I just wish it were narrower) gives you that fish eye look every action cam provides.
on July 18, 2013
Pros:
Easy to use.
AMAZING video and sound quality.
Wide angle is a huge bonus.
HD is amazing.
Gorgeous underwater video and great underwater sound quality even while in the waterproof housing! Can hear the sound of the water as you are snorkeling! Even when recording fish under a rock about 8 feet underwater, the camera picked up the fish and natural light beautifully.
Great mounts to use on my equestrian riding helmet, or anything else I wanted to use it for.
Low profile and light-weight.
Waterproof housing floats and you can attach a strap to it.
Cylinder shape is perfect for riding helmets, bike mounting, etc. Far lower profile than the Go-Pro in my opinion and easier to hold on to.
Long battery life.
Beautiful colors.

Cons:
Cannot switch between video and photo mode unless done so through your computer. Someone mentioned you can just put in a different memory card that has been set to photo or vide mode. This is fine with me, but I haven't tried it yet.
No pause. I feel like the on/off sliding back and forth will wear out because there is no "pause" for video or photo mode. It hasn't yet, but a "pause" button would be great.
No strap, which isn't a big deal because you can put a strap on the waterproof housing.

All of these are minor compared to what you get with this camera. Love it and can't wait for the next gen.
on October 9, 2014
The build quality, durabilty and overall functionality are great. It's very simple and easy to use. For a motorcycle helmet (what I'm using it for) as well as other various action sports like biking / kayaking / etc this really is pretty great because the ease of use and versatility is all there.

That being said, the quality of HD video you get is fair at best. Even if 1080p High Quality the video is very muddy and compressed. In 720p the video doesn't even look HD but rather some blurry wide-screen standard deffinition. All this if you are lucky enough to recording in outdoor sunny conditions, if it's cloudy or dark it will look even worse. Don't even think about using it at night.

The microphone audio quality is pretty lousy too, everything sounds distant and tinny.

For the price it is a solid, dependable camera, but if you want even remotely decent quality HD video, or some low-light performance don't even give it a second thought.
on January 19, 2016
the thing about CONTOUR it may not be a perfect action cam, it does almost everything as the next best one out there but it sure has an ironclad perfect top notch Customer Service.. that is unbeatable.

my contour cam broke from the rail and as it fell the back cover also got damaged and the tooth broke and could not be locked and mounted to anywhere :( i contacted the firm and they upgraded my cam to roam 3...
if only they could do the rails (imo the weakest design in the cam) in aluminum too this cam will be a rock solid cam...

so thank you once again CONTOUR for such a great product and for being so understanding
on June 10, 2013
Its a great camera for anyone who doesnt plan on filming an imax movie. The gopro was over rated in my opinion and I also liked the form factor of the contour. I am very glad with my decision to purchase the contour. Easy on/off removable sd cards waterproof for anything that doesn't involve submerging it. Extremely durable, I use it on motorcycle rides, fishing trips, duck hunting, and spying on my girlfriend in the shower..... nevermind that last one.
on October 26, 2015
Purchased to replace my older Contour HD. In comparison, I love the single function ON/Record slider. The older power switch on the back was a) impossible to use with gloves on, and b) ended up being flakey. The lack of a replaceable battery is a bit of a concern, but given my track record of replacing cameras every year or so, I shouldn't outlast the battery. Main issue is if you have a long-recording session (e.g. track day), you won't be able to swap batteries.

Still prefer this form-factor over the GoPro. I mount it on the side of my motorcycle helmet and other than extra wind-noise, I don't notice the drag much. I've ridden at well over 130 mph with it on the track and despite the flimsy mount (I use the plastic "meshed teeth" mount), it's never fallen off from riding. Do use the safety tether just in case however as a small bump with my hand will knock the camera off the mount.
on November 5, 2014
This camera is definitely worth the money I paid for it. I primarily use it as a dash and body cam (for protection against aggressive drivers and/or law enforcement misconduct).

PROS:

-Shoots in full HD with good picture quality, lens angle/FOV, and true 20/30 frames per second
-Easy to mount to just about anything with Contour's attachments (really recommend the headband)
-Durable with the out the extra water/shock proof case (do not recommend submerging in water over 2 ft without the case, but will do fine outdoors in the rain or wet conditions)
-Intuitive and easy to use, (takes just about any SD card )just point and click
-Decent battery life (about 2 hrs in full hd settings)
-Laser level attachment has a decent range and brightness

Cons:
-You can not charge this on the fly
-You can not charge and shoot at the same time
-The camera is very picky where it gets its charge, prefers to be charged on a dedicated USB port that is not shared with other objects.
-No way to adjust zoom (however the high resolution and wife field of view helps if you want to edit your videos).* If you adjust the angle settings you will need to review your video (plugging your camera into a pc, laptop, or tablet).
-The camera is truly plug and play, but the software (and it needs to be synced to a computer) is needed in order to adjust the settings.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2013
I bike through the streets of NY City on an almost daily basis. I wanted to get a camera that I could mount on my bike without having to use a permanent mount on my helmet. Because I ride a recumbent bike with under seat steering (the handlebars are literally UNDER my seat) it makes it hard to find accessories that I can mount.

The two reasons that I wanted a camera are: 1) I wanted to have video of zooming around in NYC traffic and 2) wanted to have video should (god forbid) I have an accident with a pedestrian or car/truck.

I researched a large number of sites and narrowed it down to this and the GoPro camera. Based on the reviews about the ease of use for the Roam, plus the fact that there are a TON of different mounting kits for it, I picked it up. I could not be happier.

The camera is amazingly easy to use as it has only one button. Slide it forward and it is instantly on and recording. Slide it back and it's off. I actually have it mounted on my front fork using the strap mounts and turn it on and off with the toe of my sneaker! Doesn't get much easier than that.

The fact that you can turn it sideways or upside down and, by simply turning the lens, have the image right side up is fantastic. That makes mounting it in odd places that much easier.

The video quality is great, and got even better with the ROAM2 as it now allows more FPS in HD than the original model did. If you do a search on YouTube, you can actually find some side by side comparisons that people have done.

Downloading the videos that you have taken is as easy as plugging it into your computer. It will register as an external storage device and you can simply drag and drop the video. In addition, you can download software from Contour's site which will allow you to edit your video. I have not done anything with this software yet, however, so can't comment on it's ease of use.

Overall, a great camera for those who are active and want to record their adventures. It can be mounted in unconventional places (they even have a mount for baseball hats!) and is small enough to remain unseen in certain situations (I have a black version that is mounted to my fork near the tire and you hardly notice it. This is probably not the case with the green/red/blue versions though).
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2015
For the most part this camera is really good. The video quality is very good, it's easy to use, light-weight, and durable. Mounting options are excellent.
Why not 5 STARS? Like most cameras the battery life is not great and the video does not rewrite once card is full. [At least I haven't figured out how] When card reaches capacity camera shuts off, so watch the memory.

Biggest Complaint - software that comes with camera only works with Windows or Mac on a PC or laptop. Also no mobile version available either [Android nor iOS] This means you cannot manipulate or view video with mobile device. Had I known this before buying I would not have!
For the money...no regrets, a very good camera. Just wish they'd update software:-l
on December 2, 2016
Its a fantastic camera, provided you don't run on any issue that seems to be faulty firmware and/or lack of technical support.

I've used it on any weather except snow since it doesn't snow around here and it just simply performs brilliantly.

The video quality is good for me since it is the only camera I have and I don't see the need to go comparing it with another one I couldn't afford and the rotating lens feature is priceless.

Adhesive has just started to crack on the mount but it's been there year and a half so i guess is time to buy some new adhesive.

Granted, is utter terrible on dark conditions, like I-can-barely-see-the-headlights-of- incoming-cars bad, so I only use it in daylight (bought a HTC re for 25 bucks and it does record at night)

I keep hearing how awesome are GoPros but i think nothing beats the appearence of the Contour. I'd hate to have a brick attached to my helmet even if it does record crystal clear at night.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.