Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 23 reviews
on September 13, 2011
The Contour HD camera is a pretty slick design, but the flat surface mount is a miserable accessory....

Their original mount (that I know of) at least had a "velcro break-away" system such that if you hit the camera on something (while it's mounted to your helmet/flat surface) you stood a chance of having the velcro actuate properly and without breaking the mount. Well, mine eventually broke the plastic as well, rendering that mount useless...so I tried this newer version.

This newer version, so far as I can tell, doesn't even offer a "break-away" plan in the event of bumping the camera. It just breaks, and then you're stuck having to buy another one for $20 plus shipping (approx.), not to mention finish your ride/trip without the use of a mount for the camera.

I understand it's all a fairly new and they're working out the kinks. But I cannot stress to the Contour HD people enough the importance of making a better mount, or at least having this one available for $5 and every sporting good store around. Please folks: Don't make a crappy accessory that costs next to nothing to manufacture in China (or wherever) part of your profitability plan. We all see through that, and will end up doing the ridiculous tele-tubbie Go Pro thing eventually if we have to.
on November 2, 2011
This mount works well at keeping the Camera steady on my helmet vs. a goggle mount. My videos come out very well using this mount.

PROS:
* The adhesive for the mount is 3M and sticks VERY well. I have no worry of the mount coming unstuck from the helmet.
* The rail system that fastens the cam to the mount also stays very well (however, this is also a con)
* Angle of the camera is easy to adjust and lock with the button the mount.

CONS:

* The rail system holds the cam to the mount so well, it is incredibly difficult to remove. So difficult in fact, I find myself leaving the camera mounted to the helmet, which leads to the next issue. (I have found somewhat of a fix for this - see below**)

* The mount is not strong in any plane except the twisting motion of the mount itself to adjust the angle. A slight bump from the top/bottom or front/back of the camera will break the mount. I've broken 2 mounts already just taking my helmet out the truck and bumping it on something.

** since I've had so much issue removing the cam from the mount, I've begun spraying the mounts and rail slides of the cam itself with cooking spray (I suppose any lubricant would work, but the cooking spray sort of dries on there. A silicone spray would work well too I'd imagine, but I used what I had on my last adventure). This still isn't a total fix because even 1 spec of dirt in the rails makes it come off the mount hard, however the spray keeps dirt from sticking so it can be washed out with a small amount of water and/or compress air. Do this before you try and remove the cam from the mount.

Overall, I like it. If you have a contour cam, the lack of camera shake vs. goggle mount is so much better it makes it worth it.
on May 27, 2013
I purchased a Contour Camera as I believed the Contour to have better design and usability than the Go-Pro. I have since found that the abysmal quality of the helmet mounts for the Contour outweight any design and usability benefits.

When skiing anytime you go through branches or take a spill in which your helmet hits the snow (even gently) these mounts are _sure_ to break. The result is that you will spend a bunch of time combing the snow for your lost camera or if you don't notice simply lose your camera.

I have tried all the available mounts and found them all unacceptably bad, in fact I think that the Go-Pro will win the "sports camera" wars purely as a consequence of the terrible quality of these mounts.
on December 31, 2011
Luckily enough for me, the product I received was not as pictured, but even better! The product pictured appears to have a flat square base. The product received is a base with a tab coming from each side. It's also curved, making it easier to attach to the helmet, though still very far from ideal. A perfect mount would be vertically narrow and horizontally curved.

I strong agree with the other reviewers on the quality of the adhesive. It appears to be very weak and I'm really worried about the camera falling off. In fact, I'm going to jimmy up a lanyard and connect the camera to my jacket for the first few rides until I know for sure this mount isn't going anywhere.
on May 3, 2017
Perfect
on October 19, 2011
This Contour Rotating Flat Surface mount broke on my first use. I used the adhesive to put the mount on my motorcycle helmet. The next day, I tried to slide the camera on the track and the mount broker - the inner ring just popped off the mount; seems like it was just superglued on there. Generally speaking, I don't trust these contour mounts and I think the tracks are designed to fit too tightly, causing undue pressure on the mounts. Still looking for better solutions.
on July 26, 2011
I used this for my kayak and was digging it for the first 30 minutes of use...until the connection between the contour camera inside the waterproof case and the base broke off. I didn't realize this happened until the camera floated by (the waterproof case is awesome!). I've glued it back together again and give it another go, but was disappointed how quickly it broke. Upon further inspection of the attachment, the plastic tabs are not thick enough and shouldn't be expected to hold up to the force of a camera as it flips on the kayak. Really like the ability to turn the camera on the go, so willing to give it another shot...
on July 16, 2014
This it's a replacement for the contour camera mount. I stick it to ma helment and sticks very well, it's hard to take it off.
on July 28, 2015
Just a memory card not much to add
on March 6, 2013
Works great on a racing kart helmet! Application easy and it holds camera steady during the racing action!
Will purchase again!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question