- Explore more great deals on thousands of titles in our Deals in Books store.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Contraband Paperback – January 15, 2010
Start a new series - up to 50% off
Featured First in Series titles are up to 50% off for a limited time. Learn More
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Top Customer Reviews
Paul, who was raised with his cousin Mark, found himself protecting him as a young boy and as a result continues to do so even though he is now a man. But Paul cannot seem to help his cousin slow his role and stay out of trouble. After finding himself in turmoil with a gang and trying to avoid the hit put on him, they are up against many problems that threaten to bring Paul down. Paul encourages his cousin to shape up, but his own actions aren't exactly reflective of an upstanding citizen.
To complicate matters, Paul is falling for Janine Phipps, whom Mark had a car accident with, leaving her wounded and in the hospital. Unfortunately, she is the niece of the man whom Paul has come to despise, the disgruntled officer.
J L Campbell presents an interesting story, set near Jamaica on the fictitious Island of Xantrope, which is described beautifully and vividly. The story is paced well, and the plot is strong. This author's debut novel will lure you into mystery, romance, kidnapping, suspense and murder, which is just the tip of the iceberg. CONTRABAND is an exciting and interesting read.
Reviewed by RM Jackson
for The RAWSISTAZ (tm) Reviewers
Set near Jamaica on the beautiful (though fictitious) island of Xantrope, "Contraband" is fast-paced and addictive, with gritty realism and a cast of characters you won't soon forget. Paul finds himself up to his ears in trouble, and it's up to him to handle it all. A major crime lord sets out to kill Mark in retaliation for his brother's death, Singh tries to extort more money from Paul, and Paul finds himself falling for Janine but knows she'll never approve of his illegal business.
I loved this book and highly recommend it. The author has another book due out later this year, and a sequel to "Contraband" in the works. J. L. Campbell is sure to find herself on the bestseller list.
* Paul is the MC who owns a farm producea and export business that he also uses to camouflage his less legitimate activities.
* Mark is the spoilt younger cousin who Paul raised since the age of twelve when they lost their parents.
* Janine is Paul's love interest and a niece to Paul's nemesis, a sergeant in the police force.
THIS WAS HOT....
* As always J.L's novels are always full of action and suspence. This one was no different. The twists and turns kept the pages turning. I like that in her writing because it means the story never just rabbles along and you never find those doldrums moments where the writer tries to fill up the pages to meet word count. This is one of the things that make her writing so enjoyable.
* I really didn't like Pauls's cousin, Mark at the beginning but I could see him in real life. Some of us have a brother or cousin like that so he is totally credible I enjoyed seeing how J.L took him through certain experiences which made him realise that if he didn't change, he would die a horrible death. Those were life changing and helped mould him into a better person . I can't wait to see what he's become in Taming Celeste.
* The morale issue in this novel for me was how justifiable was it for the main actor to do what he was doing? Exporting a contraband product. Its interesting how as a reader you fell so in love with the character that your ampathy for him skews your judgement. It demonstrates in a way how criminals manage to evade the law for so long as those who are close to them have different experiences with the person they know.
* The relationship that develops between Janine and Paul was really sweet.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Jeesz, Contraband hit all the right mystery spots, and combined with the romance between Paul and Janine, it’s sure to make an excellent read for those who love to engross... Read morePublished 14 months ago by S.E. Felida
The saga continues with JL Campbell's island adventures.
A must read before "Taming Celeste". Read more
Paul and his cousin Mark are interesting reflections of one another. Paul considers himself more responsible. I didn't really think so. He was just more successful. Read morePublished on April 20, 2014 by Mary Pax
Paul Weekes lives on an island, Xantrope, near Jamaica. He makes his living HUSTLIN' 24/7. Paul is a true player and knows how to stay out of trouble, but not his cousin, Mark;... Read morePublished on December 12, 2010 by OOSA Online Book Club