|Print List Price:||$11.95|
Save $7.96 (67%)
Contract of Defiance: Spectras Arise Trilogy, Book 1 Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 249 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
I read that the author is an ex-paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne so that explains why the weapons and tactics were so well described, and from her writing, I can't help but wonder if she saw actual combat. I realize being a veteran doesn't guarantee a good story, but in this case it sure worked.
I may have gotten this book for free, but after reading it I immediately ordered the rest of the series, including the short prequel that tells how Aly and David came to be smugglers with Rajcik. I'll let you know what I think when I finish them. As for this book, I highly recommend if you like well written military Sci-Fi.
All of the characters in the book are complex and interact well together in a natural manner, and the world Tammy has created here is extremely engaging.
The main protagonist is not a cookie-cutter leading lady, but instead she develops throughout the book into a woman balancing the jaded cynicism caused by the world around her with the sensitive humanity at her core.
The story moved along at a brisk pace, with comfortable interludes between exciting actions sequences, and the story came to a satisfying conclusion while leaving the opening for the sequel book, Contract of Betrayal. (Which I am in the process of reading write now, and it is another great book!)
Do yourself a favor and grab this book. You won't be sorry.
A few high points:
1) I had a strong feel for how the book's region of space works, without ever being stuck reading a boring page of explanation, or worse - scientific jargon.
2) I like how Salyer handled the growing chemistry with the love interest without ever having to spell it out. (It's not a romance, though... not by any means.)
3) Right up to the end I wasn't sure how Aly and the crew would pull off their mission - great suspense and everything made sense.
4) The characters were all very real and multi-dimensional... none of them are perfect, and even the villain has an understandable reason for villainy.
The only complaint I have is that the next book isn't out yet.
Contract of Defiance initially draws you in with a pair of gunfights and a suspenseful interrogation scene--all great stuff, but it really shifts into high gear when you meet Aly's former boss, leader of a smuggling crew, who is one of the most intimidating and devious characters this side of Darth Vader. The novel then becomes a battle of wits between two space crews. Aly is caught in the middle, and she must navigate their conflicting interests in order to save her brother. There's mystery, political intrigue, double crosses, clever reversals of fortune, and of course, an evil galactic empire.
Sci-fi movie fans will see shades of SW IV: A New Hope and ST II: The Wrath of Khan in here. If I have one complaint, it's that Contract of Defiance doesn't offer much that's truly unique to the genre. But if you love those movies like I do, then you'll love this book as well. Highly recommended.
Most recent customer reviews
I’m all for the fun action movie, especially when it’s science fiction, but I generally look for more when I read.Read more
Contract of Defiance, the first entry in the Spectras Arise Trilogy, is a very fast paced, fun and terrific introduction to the universe created be the...Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller & Suspense
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > War & Military
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Exploration
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Marine
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > War & Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Marine
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Exploration