Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 23 reviews
on September 6, 2014
I followed this affair closely and Stober has done a good job accurately reflecting what happened. It is balanced and informative. Well written.
on January 25, 2002
I am very familiar with the events described by Hoffman and Stober. They capture Wen Ho Lee very accurately. Lee's complaint that the authors never interviewed him is somewhat disingenuous given the fact that Lee's handlers won't let anyone question him. The authors tried and were denied access. Even now he is handled like a dancing bear on his book tour. Try to question him and you will get bit.
on March 26, 2004
Some one has protested that the Authors were biased against Dr. Lee, I don't agree with that point.

The first time I found it two years ago, I immediately fell in love with this book. The beautiful writing, the amazing story and the vivid pictures of distinct characters, all have been inspiring me to think and to change even today.

My own conclusion:

He is not a spy. Why?

As a second generation of Chinese immigrant to Taiwan, Dr. Lee believes in his heart that he is superior to a Chinese, unfortunately (or fortunately), his moral (like majority of the Taiwanese), is as low as an ordinary Chinese in that "we" (Chinese and Taiwanese) both worship no God but money and authority.

Wen Ho Lee's own account ("my country versus me") as to why he wasn't spying for China was simply that China was such poor (at his time) that it wouldn't be wise, honorable or beneficial for him, such a smart guy, to work for the Chinese. This argument makes perfect sense to the majority of Chinese and Taiwanese because "we" are educated to think in this uniform way that I do something only because it is good for my own, "we" don't care whether it is good or evil, in "our" eyes, "we" see only the difference between the smartness and the stupidity, and by smartness, "we" mean specifically, though implicitly, that someone is able to observe the vulnerability of a system or the weakness of other people AND to take the advantage over it by some way no matter what. But his pale explanation does NOT make any sense to the people in this country. In this country, citizens are educated to do something because it is the right thing to do, NOT because he himself would necessarily benefit from doing it. Dr. Lee was unable to understand the way his own brain functions his own thinking style his own philosophy much less the way Americans are thinking, that's why he was so confused and frustrated that the American investigators would have hard time to believe his innocence while ordinary Chinese or Taiwanese would be easily convinced as soon as he speaks out loudly his "concrete" reason.

Surely Wen Ho Lee has broken the honor system, he violated the code of conduct, he destroyed the mutual trust that his colleagues at Los Alamos had graciously laid on him, but

He is not a spy for China; he doesn't have the guts,
He is not a spy for Taiwan; he doesn't have the moral,
He is not a spy for any country; he doesn't have the intelligence, Yet

He is a smart PhD (his own words) as far as "we" are concerned, in the sense of "our" culture and value. Consequently, everything he did was simply for himself, which is the unspoken common sense for both Chinese and Taiwanese, which explains everything!