Lyft Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on February 13, 2010
The theme of 10 Conversations You Need to Have With Your Children by Shmuley Boteach is to teach your children to find their own way in the world by listening to their own, unique, inner voices. It's a great message for all parents.

Boteach stresses the importance of interaction with your children. He says that everything that happens in life provides an opportunity for conversation, and you shouldn't overlook those opportunities; rather, you should train yourselves to see them.

All parents can learn from Boteach's book that making the investment in children by conversing with them and teaching them their uniqueness will reap rewards. Work on motivating your children to hear their inner voices, and it will inspire them to become better people. Boteach says, "Success is never immediate, and sometimes it's nowhere in evidence, but talking to your kids really works."

Boteach's book also has four great lessons for improving communication skills with everyone you live with or work with. These are Boteach's four lessons:

1. You can control your emotions by controlling your actions. When you force yourself to behave in a certain way, even if you don't feel it, the action creates the emotion.

2. The foundation of every relationship and interaction you have is the "desire to know". Much of Boteach's advice is based on the premise that you have to find ways to be stimulated every day, and your relationships and interactions are a source of stimulation.

3. The world will be a kinder, gentler place if we each honor and exhibit what Boteach identifies as the "feminine qualities" we all have within ourselves, such as peacefulness, tenderness, nurturing, and relationship-building.

4. Show the people around you that you know you make mistakes and that you are seeking forgiveness. Furthermore, you should be willing to forgive those people who are seeking forgiveness from you. Boteach says, "An unforgiving heart is a heavy heart. When you don't forgive someone, you become bitter, and that feeling festers, affecting you more than it affects them. When you forgive, the one you are truly freeing is yourself."

The book has great lessons on parenting skills as well as general communication skills.

[...]
[...]
on December 2, 2016
As a parent of a two-year-old boy, I benefited a lot from this short, concise book.I think it not only inspires a parent how to communicate with your child, but also inspires me how to be a better person.
on April 15, 2016
Had to read this book for my effective parenting class and it was actually pretty interesting. I also had to give a 15min presentation so I just talked about each chapter for about 2mins. I got a lot of complements about the presentation based on the book with a class filled of 19-20yr olds.
on February 11, 2014
Was a gift for a single dad of two small children, and I understand that he enjoys it and is utilizing it as they grow. I will get one for my daughter soon, because she's expecting. :)
on May 29, 2008
This is a great book! I read it all and now I want to go back and read each individual chapter. This is more than a parenting book--it will really help you reflect our your own life. The writing is non-judgemental and easy to read. The author comes off as very friendly. I don't agree with the reviewer that says the religious chapter at the end ruins the book. It has a base in Judiasm but comes across as more spirtually based that can be applied to any religion you are. I am a psych nurse and have used these techniques in dealing with my adult inpatients so the information is very transferable to all aspects of your own life, not just your life as a parent.
This is a great book!
on May 25, 2008
I must admit that I am a bit biased towards Rabbi Shmuley - I am a huge fan of his TV and XM radio show. I found this book to be yet another example of Shmuley giving practical pointers that truly help parents navigate in this crazy world where many people seem to be traveling w/out rudders or sails! The book is not going to tell you something you don't know....but it is written in a way that helps you articulate important, sound, common sense advice to your kids. I am already incorporating several of his suggestions into our home, and it is definitely reaching my children. These are important conversations that all parents should be having with their families!!
on September 14, 2006
This has been the only book I have ever read that hit a huge cord within me and stayed. The messages and insights will stay with you long after you've put the book down. We have stopped watching TV with our kids during the week and instead talk, play games, go on walks and enjoy each other's company. We have learned to destress our house and focus on happiness. My husband and I have reconnected and our family is happier as a whole. This book, if you allow it to, can teach you miraculous things. Shmuley Boteach is an incredible rabbi, teacher, husband and above all, father. This book is worth 10 times it's price. Thank you Shmuley Boteach!!
0Comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 9, 2016
I dont even have kids and this book was great, its not just for parents. It changes your overall outlook on life, and many areas in it.
on December 16, 2009
This is the book. The only one you need. The one you pick up, read a chapter, put down and immediately find ways to include it in your life. Not just for you children but also for you. It just simply reminds you about what is most important in life. Being good. The best line: You can never go wrong when you do the right thing. It is the stuff of life. It is a great book to read, think about and spark a conversation with your spouse, friend, mother, father, sibling whomever and most importantly your children. I started reading this book and quickly put the conversations into action. Our family has lived in 7 places in 9 years, so my children are constantly going through change and adjustments. Sometimes as a mom it is hard to remember how much they need the "good convestaion" reinforcement when your in the midst of unpacking, adjusting and trying to make a new home yourself. Everyone is busy, just in different ways and my kids just have started acting up in a way that has been difficult to figure out how to best fix it. I've tried star charts, the 1,2,3, method and a bunch of others, but this book just hit and home run and life is so much better now. I highly recommend it.
on April 30, 2014
I did not purchase this book for myself. However, who I gave it too found t interesting and think she might be able to use some of the confersations