Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 135 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 143 reviews
on February 11, 2015
First book i have bought from the cook this not that line but i must say it is a fantastic read. I have many cook books that i have bought but this one may be my favorite just because it focuses on cooking foods that one would actually want to eat. Comfort foods made in a way that lowers the fat/calorie content but still keeps the food tasting the way it should. Anyone can lose wait by eating plates of vegetables and drinking water all day but this book focuses on taking food that most people grew up and presenting it in a way to cut back on a lot of the fat. They also point out just how much fat, sodium, and calories are hidden behind a lot of the favorite restaurants that the mass majority frequently dine at. The Chee$e cake factory being one of them. I have cooked a few recipes so far from the book and i must say they are delicious. To each their own I guess but I was really shocked at how many little post it note tabs i put in this book for recipes that i had to try.
on December 12, 2012
I had pre-ordered this, too, and although it does have some recipes found in earlier books, there's enough new to keep me happy. David and Matt revived my interest in cooking, and i'm grateful to have some new recipes that are "skinny." Of my dozens of cookbooks over the years, this one will join their 350 calorie meals one as the only ones with a permanent spot on my kitchen counter. I live in Mexico part of the year, and this new one seems to have fewer specialty ingredients that I can't find there so this one is going with me.
on December 11, 2012
When I saw that there was going to be a new "Cook This Not That" I immediately pre-ordered it. I loved the previous books and had received numerous compliments on the meals I had made with the recipes. Unfortunately this is a major retread of the previous two editions. Many recipes appeared in the the others and many of the creative different ideas they gave you about creating healthy meals appear verbatim in this one. If you've never tried any of these books I would recommend it but I think people who have used the other books will be disappointed like me.
on January 15, 2014
I had decided to lose weight (have done this time after time just to gain it back). I needed something that was not a diet but was just common sense. These guys were a God send. It is a common sense approach. The suggestions have been great. The recipes that I have tried have been excellent and better still they actually showed me that my eating and cooking habits had been the biggest reason for my weight gain. We need more of these books that show you that you can eat well and still lose. I would recommend it to anyone.
on June 27, 2013
This book is excellent! This is truly the No-Diet Weight Loss solution. The book provides recipes that substitute chicken, fish and/or turkey for red meats causing healthier food choices. The recipes also substitute healthy oils for butter or margarine. The recipes provide number of calories and number of servings which greatly helps with calorie in-take and portion control which really helps me. The recipes use many spices which gives the food lots of flavor. I actually have an earlier edition of the same series. If you combine this book with a Free calorie counting app like MyFitnessPal, you will be well on your way to dropping some unwanted weight. Adding a regular exercise program like the YMCA will also result in dropping some weight. This book is well worth the investment.
on January 30, 2014
This book is full of useful information on staple items for your pantry, tips on creating healthy recipes and easy recipes that can be swapped out for favorites at nationally know restaurants. The other interesting aspect of this book is the information concerning the restaurants with the least healthy food so even if you do not cook at home and eat out more this book will help you avoid the unhealthy selections on the menu. The one thing I learned was some of the items that you would think are the healthy more then likely are not healthy at all. As for the recipes most are pretty easy to make and taste really good. Following the recipes in the book I've managed to take of ten pounds with little to no exercise while recovering from a knee injury. If you're looking to lose some weight or just eat healthier this book is a good choice.
on November 15, 2014
This is a great book. It gave us good ideas for recipes that are at least somewhat similar to restaurant food. If you have kids who are picky eaters, even getting a couple more recipes that everyone likes is more than worth the price. It also helped us to realize just what's inside a lot of foods we'd been taking for granted.
on April 14, 2014
My husband is french and likes rich food, so it was nice to have some sub options that were designed to be more healthy alternatives, w/o completely omitting the substantial feel. The chicken pot pie was very good, made that several times. Never did make the choc cake, but would love to.
VINE VOICEon May 13, 2013
This book will really open your eyes to the heavy fat and calorie counts in many of your favorite restaurant foods. You'll scare yourself when you think aobut what you've been woofing down all this time. I have to say - most of the recipes in this book that I've tried have far outshined the restaurant version in my opinion. My absolute favorite is the Spinach Artichoke Dip that is an alternative to Applebee's. We had some at the restaurant last month, and after eating the version from the book earlier, I will never order the Applebee's again! Another recipe that is very good is the oriental Beef with Broccoli - you'll never want takeout again! I am definitely looking forward to collecting more "This not That" books.
on April 26, 2015
Very informative and important guidelines for those of us who wish to change our cooking and eating habits in order to accomplish a healthier lifestyle. I read through it on the very day I received it from Amazon, and I highly recommend this book full of useful information for everyone.