Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 75 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 90 reviews
on May 25, 2011
I'm a long time Matlab user, but have been using R for a couple months now. Still on the fence on their relative merits (they're different, let me say), but it's been interesting. I had the help of friends, but this book got me going. I bought probably 10 books, and this is far and away the best place to start. Nice combination of keeping it simple and still giving you a sense of the logic of the software. What it doesn't have is details about specific things (graphics, for example), but it gets you close enough that you can usually figure the rest out for yourself. Great book, well written, good coverage of topics -- at least for my use (analysis of international macroeconomic data).
22 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2015
This is an excellent book. I read it from cover to cover. I did not try out the examples however. I found the writing to be very good and the book, although a cookbook, actually provides a great way to get an in depth overview of R. The R packages facilitate the use of the book examples by providing test data in the packages. The book is organized well, especially the file I/O and data structures, as well as the statistics sections.

I have worked with statistics at various levels over the years and taken courses but I wanted to brush up on concepts and applications, and this book was really good for that. I think it is also a decent book for learning programming although one would start using the 1-based paradigm instead of 0-based for indexing and that is kind of nonstandard and used only for math software. But a beginner could learn quite a bit by just playing around with the examples.

The explanations of the statistics concepts was particularly good. The author is very precise with his language and even repetitive (which I appreciated) about the rigorous interpretation of results.

The R software thankfully provides a well designed, open source alternative to Matlab and this cookbook (with its references) is an ideal place to start learning for practical use at work or on projects. I thoroughly recommend it. I found very few typos which for me is one of many quality indicators. The author also writes in an entertaining style making the book fun to read - which is a challenge considering the subject matter could be considered dry (by some).
VINE VOICEon January 15, 2013
This book is meant to be a reference. It doesn't teach you, and it is not meant to, anything about regression statistics. It does, however, cover using R for statistics (including regression).

I think much of the information contained in this book is widely available free on the internet.

Pros:
1)Comprehensive reference on R.
2)Good explanations and writing.

Cons:
1)Mostly for beginner-intermediate users. Not too many expert level concepts.
2)Most of the information is available for free on the internet, and usually in much more comprehensive form.

If you already have a good R reference, then this book will probably be redundant.
on March 29, 2011
I'd give this book ten stars if I could. I bought one copy for the office and one for my house. This guy has the ability to write simply and with the mind set of people who are busy and want to get results right away. Of course we'd all love to be leisurely scholars and plow through theory and practice but most of us just need to get things done. A good example is the way he treats ARIMA. He warns you about using auto.arima but does not hide it from you because it is "dangerous." The book is full of tips, well organized and is oriented towards beginners, though it gets into depth. So many of the R books I've read absolutely pound you with up front details, some of which relate to obscure concerns, rather than starting with a task. For example, on page 199 he writes "Problem -- you want to count the relative frequency of certain observations in your sample" Next is "Solution" -- and he explains just the minimum needed to do that job. Some of the tips are just simple time savers, such as the function head(dataframe) to show a few of the dataframe rows at the start and tail(dataframe) to show a few at the end. Finally .... I don't know this writer personally, but I hope he keeps on writing because it is a craft he has thoroughly absorbed somewhere along the line. Bill Yarberry, Houston, TX
0Comment| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2014
If you are trying to learn the powerful, but challenging, statistical programming language R then you will find this book very handy. It's one of many such books from O'Reilly. As with all their Cookbook series, this is not a general introduction to the language, for that you need a different book. But the main thing I need when picking up a new language is lots of annotated code samples; this book has those.

From my experience with comparable books for other languages, I expect this book would also be useful for an experienced user of R. I've been using Perl on a daily basis for over 20 years, and I still keep a well-thumbed copy of the Perl Cookbook handy!
on May 22, 2016
A great book written very clearly. Most of these technical books are difficult for me to understand and become confusing. This book does not fit the mold. It is very easy to understand and follow. There are useful examples and it comes in handy as a quick reference. My only complaint is that the book didn't really discuss functions or loops as much as I would have liked. Everything else I have needed I have been able to find except for these topics
on June 7, 2014
I use R to put together and organize data in my work and have been taking classes to take it a little further. When I googled questions about tasks with R, I kept winding up on a set of pages referencing this book. I gave up and bought it. It is a gem to have if you are far enough along to be writing your own code and putting together your own reports, but aren't sure how to implement sorting algorithms and the like in R, as opposed to more procedural languages. I recommend this highly for people who can code in R but have not been doing so long enough to build up their own bag of tricks and who don't want to reinvent the wheel when their translations of code from other languages into R don't quite seem to work.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2015
I am new to R programming and it can be really confusing trying apply its specific syntax to problems. This book helped me out a lot because it is 1) situation (problem) oriented and 2) written in a concise, simple to understand language. That means that you exactly learn and understand what you are currently fighting with. The best book on R that I have read yet and a big asset for beginners.
on March 15, 2017