Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
on October 25, 2009
One thing I didn't expect when I opened my Amazon box was to find that this book is only about 6 x 8 inches (it's TINY)! Who put my book in the dryer?

Anyway, I'm a fan of these ladies' Cookie Craft book and I pre-ordered this one and eagerly awaited it's arrival, so after I read through the whole thing I came away feeling disappointed. That's it? I felt there were too many "easy" cookies that weren't that impressive. Their best work is all represented on the cover so I was hoping for much more of that, but didn't find it. Oh well, it's still a cute book that might give you some ideas to work with.

Back to the size - you should take it into consideration because if you want it for a coffee table book, it's a bit too small for that. Also, if you want to prop it up on your counter to look at while you're working (like I do), good luck. You'll need something to keep the book open, but still not block what you're trying to see.

It's a good book for straight-forward Christmas cookie icing with lots of style. It's worth buying!
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 22, 2013
If you have always admired those gorgeous, painstakingly decorated cut-out Christmas cookies and wanted to learn to make them yourself, then Cookie Craft Christmas: Dozens of Decorating Ideas for a Sweet Holiday might just be for you. I'm always looking for new ideas, so when I found a great price on the Kindle version of the book a couple of days ago I added it to my library.

Authors Janice Fryer and Valerie Petersen provide three basic recipes for cut-out cookies - Plain, Chocolate and Gingerbread - each of which will make

● about 30 2.5 inch cookies
● about 16 3.5 inch cookies
● about 12 4.5 inch cookies

You'll also find detailed instructions for cutting & baking the dough, freezing the cookies and numerous techniques for decorating your masterpieces, both before and after baking.

Royal Icing, which dries quite hard, is the icing of choice for complicated cookie decorations. Fryer & Petersen give recipes for a number of variations - large and small batches, icing suitable for piping or suitable for flooding (a runnier icing used for filling in the outline, icing made with powdered egg whites, liquid pasteurized egg whites or meringue powder - as well as a number of decorating techniques that use the icing. (If you're a decorator, the handy charts alone are worth acquiring the book!)

▶︎ NOTE - One reviewer mentions an error in her copy of the book in one of the Royal Icing recipes. I've double checked all of the Royal Icing recipes in the Kindle version of the manuscript and all of them are correct.

Part Two contains full color photos for more than 60 different cookies (I counted variation as just one), all gorgeous, each accompanied by a complete list of equipment & embellishments needed and and detailed instructions for reproducing the cookie. Sadly, there is no master list of the included designs and page numbers referred to are neither actively linked or useful in Kindle. You'll have to page. (I subtracted a star.)

Part Three contains detailed directions for packing your cookies for shipping, planning a cookie swap party and a lengthy list of resources for cookie cutters and decorating supplies.

Grandma's $0.02 - These gorgeously decorated cut out cookies really let a decorator show off her creativity and make wonderful Christmas ornaments. Great activity for a snowy afternoon.

Highly recommended
on May 10, 2014
This book is specifically about ICED COOKIES such as you see on the book jacket. Bought this book primarily for the design ideas and it did impress with some beautiful ideas! Lots of good, close up photos.

I like that the three basic cookie recipes give you three yield options for differing sizes of cut cookies: 2.5", 3.5" & 4.5" - much appreciated. Good info & tips re. dealing with cookie dough for best results. All the info you'll need for icing, too, from recipes, how to hold the pastry bag, and clever design techniques.

While actually doing these cookies is time consuming, for those who have the time or who deliberately carve out time from their busy schedules for this kind of very special activity, this book is a gem. And it would be a wonderful gift along with some cookie cutters for someone who is artsy & loves to bake, or someone who is artsy and retiring!
on March 31, 2017
Greatest little book ever for tips and tricks decorating cookies.
on December 13, 2009
I saw this book at a local bookstore and when I got home I immediately ordered it on Amazon. I do a lot of baking and I am always looking for easy cookie recipes and new icing ideas. This book hits the mark. In fact I bought two. One will be a Christmas gift this year.

So far I have made the gingerbread recipe and the sugar cookie recipe - both get 5 stars. They are not TOO sweet or too buttery. The cookies don't loose their shape in the oven either (like so many sugar cookie recipes do). The icing was easy although the book does mention to start with a small amount of water I did have to add a lot more (tbsp at a time as the book suggests) until the proper consistency.

The method of rolling out the dough between wax paper BEFORE chilling is a little different to me so I did it the old fashion way and it still worked perfectly.

Seriously a good buy and a great gift.
on November 3, 2009
I have been waiting eagerly for this book the last two months...There was a different publication date en Europe and US, so I preordered it in Amazon.com and Amazon.uk...obviously in US was published earlier...and this morning I just received my copy..... I am so happy with it.

I had to admit I was a bit aprehensive, having read the previous comment about the size of the book, but when I saw it, I loved the size...its soo cute. Full of interesting ideas.....so many, I do not think I will have time till Christmas to do them all!!!!! LOL......

Thank you so much Janice & Valerie!!!! I love your work......I have half of Spain decorating cookies with your tips and buying Cookie Craft...... wait until I show them your new "masterpiece"

Thank you again...

Bea
[...]
on September 22, 2016
First of all, I absolutely LOVE Christmas, and second, I absolutely LOVE decorating cookies. When I saw this book, I thought it was an absolute no brainer. Obviously I was going to order Cookie Craft Christmas. My first thought when I opened my box was: "That's it?" It's seriously small! It measures about 7x8 inches. Looking back at pictures, I now see it does show a picture that it measures 6.8" high and fits in the palm of a hand (much larger than my hand I guess!), so it's not that it's a negative for me. What I don't like is that it's that proportioned when the first Cookie Craft book is much bigger. When I have books by the same author(s) I tend to think they'll fit together like a collection. This isn't the case, so I'm a bit disappointed with that. I like them to look cohesive on my bookshelf!

As far as the content, it's ok. There are a lot of really basic designs. Being a cookie decorator who has self taught for the past year, it was a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping for new ideas and really cute cookies I never would have thought of. Instead it was a lot of basic Christmas cookies. I know there's people who don't have a cookie background that this book would benefit, but I feel like cookiers are more likely to purchase (and be disappointed) by Cookie Craft Christmas. I also don't care for the amount of fondant decorated cookies in the book. I don't tend to specifically make the cookies I see in the books, more use them as inspiration and to pick up tips on different techniques. That being said, there are many books that are far better.

It's a Christmas AND Cookie book, so if you MUST have anything in those categories, it's great. I do love that it's a subject I love. But I wish it were better executed. When I look at this book (and its' predecessor), I tend to think it's just outdated. The photography isn't as vibrant as 'newer' ones, the cookie techniques seem to be a step behind, etc. Seeing that the book was published in 2009 wasn't a shock to me at all. There's plenty of newer, more cutting edge books. There's a lot more to be found on blogs, websites, social media, and pinterest. So if you're looking for really up to date ideas, look somewhere else. If you're looking for a good book for cookie bakers that pretty much only use their (limited) skills every christmas, you might be in luck!
on December 13, 2015
Informative cookbook on Christmas cookie decorating offering clear instructions for perfect results while allowing personal creative touches. Provided comprehensive resource list for needed supplies to gain perfect results.
on October 27, 2016
This is the best "cookie book" I have read. At age 65 I rolled out my first batch of cookies. Our family had fun decorating and eating them. Wilton stock rose in value as I purchased colors, cutters, tips and sprinkles. Thank you Amazon for making my purchases so easy.
on January 13, 2011
Some of the recipes and pictures in this book are the same as the ones in Cookie Craft by the same authors.