Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cookie Swap!
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$9.49

on August 21, 2016
The book arrived sooner than I expected (not that I'm complaining). It had an "extra" recipe (clipped from a newspaper) for "Maple Pecan Refrigerator Cookies" (thanks! :) ). The book itself is in excellent condition.
I had been looking for this book for a while now. Thank you!
on August 28, 2014
Cookie Swap! By Lauren Chattman is a fun book that is so much more than a few recipes bound together.

The idea of baking up a batch of cookies, and then sharing them with friends is more fun than rolling downhill in a rusty wagon. Each recipe pictures the real cookie in finished form- I love that. There are invitation and decoration suggestions and even a section on how to carry your goodies to and from.

The recipe cards for each participant are a vital tip.

The drink recipes in back are a fabulous addition.

Ever heard of cookie swap math? Buy this cookbook and you will. I can't wait to plan my own cookie swap.

Review by: Pamela Robinson of Night Owl Reviews

Disclosure: Most books that Night Owl reviews are received courtesy of the publisher, author or publicist. In most cases - reviewers get to keep the books they review and choose the books they will review themselves from an available to review database and based on their favorite authors and genres. Publishers, authors and publicists are not guaranteed a glowing review just because they have provided a copy of their book for review. Reviews are based on each individual reviewers opinion and not based on receiving a free copy of the work.
VINE VOICEon January 2, 2011
While I'm not much of a cook due to lack of interest, I've always loved baking and my all-time favorite project has always been cookies! Cookies can be as simple or as elaborate as you like, and are always welcome no matter what the occasion!

I was pleasantly surprised when this book showed up in my mailbox, as I had forgotten I'd left my card with the publisher at BEA. I had left my card with several publishers, but Workman Publishing is the only one to have kept their promise of sending me a review copy. Yea Workman!

This title arrived at a perfect time, as I was able to try some of the recipes in time for Thanksgiving. Received nothing but rave reviews, and the recipes I tried were all easy to make! I'm a big fan of drop cookies, but this book also offers recipes for sandwich cookies, bar cookies, pastry cookies, biscotti, and shaped cookies. There's even a section on cookies for special diets (nut-free, wheat-free, sugar-free), which is a great addition.

Each recipe has a picture of the finished product, a list of ingredients, simple to follow directions, and some even offer variations. For instance, I've been making chocolate chip cookies for years, but never thought to add cinnamon and cayenne pepper to spice things up! Can't wait to see the reactions to that cookie!

All in all I think this is a great book for the cookie-lover! Loads of great recipes as well as helpful advice for hosting a cookie swap of your very own. There's even a countdown checklist to help you prepare for the cookie swap. Very helpful! So if you love to bake cookies, I think you'll love this book! Think I'll try the molasses raisin recipe next....
TOP 100 REVIEWERon December 16, 2010
I explored my library's catalog for cookie exchange cookbooks and looked at a number of selections but this is the only one I plan to purchase. Some of the other books contained tired old recipes in a user unfriendly format. To be expected from a former pastry chef, the recipes in Cookie Swap! are fresh and the contents are well thought out. This book is a keeper and worthy of space on my cookbook shelf.

Each of the 71 cookie recipes includes a color photograph of the cookie. The instructions are clear and the cookies I prepared - Incredibly Fudgy Brownies, Gingery Chocolate-Orange Slice-and-Bakes and Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies -- were all delicious and ones I will make again. I look forward to systematically working my way through the rest of the book.

Beginning with a chapter on the specifics for organizing cookie swaps the remaining chapters are Swapper's Delight (The Cookie Baker's Bag of Tricks,) Drop Everything (drop cookie recipes,) Raise the Bar (bar cookie recipes,) Best of Both Worlds (flaky pastry cookies,) Refrigerator Madness (insanely good ice box cookies,) Play Dough (shaped and cut cookies,) Slam Dunk (biscotti and Mandelbrot,) Something for Everyone (special diet cookies,) Snack Attack (savory cookies,) Easy Peasy (shortcut cookies) and Beyond Milk (drinks to serve at the swap.)

The back of the book contains a liquid conversion table for Metric and Imperial, a weight conversion table, an oven temperature table for Celsius and gas mark along with approximate equivalents. There is a list of resources for materials and ingredients along with a solid index so recipes can be located by primary ingredient or proper name, etc. This is a paperback book so it won't lay open on its own, so a cookbook holder will be useful. Black ink is used for the actual recipes in a readable font size, making it easy to see from a distance -- like laying flat on a kitchen countertop.

Hints and tips are noted in the recipes indicating what can be frozen and how to pack the dough for the deep freeze. The author crammed just about everything a cookie baker might need to know within the covers of this book making it useful for all skill levels from novice to advanced cook. I appreciate the obvious care taken by everyone involved in the production of this book. I whole heartedly recommend this terrfic cookie cookbook.
on November 14, 2011
According to Lauren Chattman, "There's no better way to enjoy the cookie-friend combo than with a cookie swap." With this book, she removes the guesswork and instills confidence by providing us with really excellent cookie recipes and guidelines on how to be well prepared. The very first chapter gives us the lowdown on the swap, explaining the best way to go about organizing a successful get together, how many cookies to bring for trading and sampling, and exactly what information should be included on the invitations. If you are planning to be the host, pay close attention to the checklist/time line provided as it is incredibly helpful.

Every cookie that made the cut here has an accompanying photo. I don't know why that's so important to me, because you would think by now that I could visualize a cookie based on the title. However, there's just something about casually flipping through the pages and using the photos to make initial decisions about which seem most appealing. Honestly, I probably would have passed right by Flaky Pastry Pinwheels, but the photo nabbed my interest.

The recipes are organized by type: drop cookies, brownies & bars, icebox cookies, etc. I like when cookie books are organized like this, because chances are, I already have know they type of cookie I would like to make. When I'm ready to bake, I can gauge if I'm in the mood to roll out dough and bust out the cookie cutters or feel the need for the ease of a bar cookie. In addition to the traditional categories, Chattman also offers a few more unique chapters. The Savory Cookies seem so interesting to me; I can definitely get behind rich buttery cookies studded with nuts, cheese, olives and sea salt!

We tried holding a cookie swap one year at my office, with less than desirable results. After reading Lauren's tips and hints, I am inspired to take another crack at it. I think she provides exactly the information I need to put together a super fun and successful swap.

More reviews at [...]
on January 14, 2012
Chattman uses a cleaner and far more readable layout than Joy of Cooking, though perhaps not as many recipes. The instructions give more details, including more specifics about how to prepare the pans. If your teens yearn to be allowed to go wild in the kitchen making cookies, this book fits their needs well.

As a cookie consumer, my greatest temptations are soft cookies, so the chapters on drop cookies and bars hold more interest for me than the rest of the book. The recipes provide reasonable variety, not just redecorations of recipes on previous pages. Many of the recipes are classics, like Chocolate Chip cookies, Peanut Butter cookies, and Oatmeal Raisin cookies. Chattman also includes reasonable variety, like Gingerbread Chocolate Chip cookies, Double Peanut Butter Cup cookies, and Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies.

I rate cookbooks based on the number of interesting recipes I find. This book lays out 71 recipes in a very usable format, so it's a bit lightweight in a market with some massive competitors.
on November 16, 2010
I have many of Lauren's books and was hesitant to order this one, thinking it may contain repeats of other recipes. I was happily mistaken, and really enjoy what I have made so far. Lots of photos, easy recipes with excellent results. It nice that each recipe tells you if it can be made ahead or frozen. Perfect for the holiday baking.
on January 22, 2011
Every recipe I have tried out of this book comes out delish! My oven is hotter than normal, though so I have to use shorter times when baking the cookies.
on March 20, 2011
I borrowed this book from the library because I love to find new cookie recipes. They had a biscotti recipe and a savory cookie recipe that I was excited to try. For the biscotti recipe, there were not enough liquid ingredients in the recipe to hold the dough together. I had to go onto the internet and search other biscotti recipes to figure out what I could add before I could bake them. They turned out alright. Then I made the savory pepper and parmesan cookies. These also did not include enough liquid ingredient to make the dough stick together. I refridgerated the dough, hoping that it would stick together better, but when I removed it, it completely crumbled, making a mess of my fridge. I finally added some more milk so I could make it into a dough consistency. The baking time was off as well. Overall, I wouldn't trust another recipe out of this book. I've never had 2 recipes fail!
on March 3, 2015
great recipes for big batch baking