Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 23, 2013
I received my book yesterday, and not have not yet cooked anything from it. That said, the recipes are typical of the previous volumes of this book. They have similar steps and the ingredient mixing is familiar. There are a couple recipes I've seen that look very similar to previous recipes (Chicken with Israeli Coucous is one) but it's just slightly different to not be a complete knock-off.

Before I get started ... I work 12 hour shifts and I get home at 7:30 PM. I often prep parts of the dinner ahead of time (if I can) otherwise, I start the recipes from the beginning around 7:30 and usually by 8:30 PM we're eating. This is recipes that involve baking, skillet cooking, etc. I tend to not be gun-shy about trying any of them at that late hour. I'm NOT an expert cook by any means. I just follow the directions and get it done.

Here are the chapters:

Express Lane
Slow-Cooker Favorites
Side Dishes
Baked Goods and Desserts

Express Lane is new to the series and it's similar to previous editions "One Big Roast" section, but uses pre-cooked foods as the main ingredient. It has 4 recipes for each ingredients. The ingredients are: Rotisserie Chicken, Chicken Sausages, Precooked Shrimp, Cheese Tortellini, and Canned Beans. Each segment has recipes that utilize each of those ingredients. Most are fairly basic and not complicated like a pasta salad with shrimp, or skillet tortellini with mushroom cream sauce. It's called Express Lane for a reason. :)

Slow-Cooker favorites is one section that is fairly similar to the other books in types of meals, there are non-slower cooker versions in the other books, or at least similar items.

Red Lentil Stew (new, lentils haven't been used in previous books)
Black Bean Soup
Chicken Provencal
Moroccan Chicken Stew
Pork Chops with Cranberries and Orange
Tomatillo Chili with Pork and Hominy
Southwestern Pork
Red-Wine Braised Short Ribs (stove version in previous books)
Smothered Steak
Beer Brats (this is a repeat, previous book has a stove version of this)

The Main Course has a few recipes which I'm looking forward to trying including:

Weeknight Roast Chicken (roasted in pre-heated skillet thigh side down)
Chicken Marbella
Minute Steaks with Garlic Parsley Butter (a new cut of meat for the series)
Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers
Braised Brisket with Mushrooms

One-Dish Suppers is a fairly typical representation of meals like the pan-roasted breasts with vegetables (yawn), chicken and rice (yawn), skillet chicken with orzo (the Israeli coucous knock-off mentioned earlier, that recipes also subs orzo), but has a few new ideas in here including:

U.S Senate Navy Bean Soup
Cajun-Style Eggs in Purgatory with Cheesy Grits (Sunday breakfast anyone?)
Strip Steaks with Potato-Artichoke Ragout
Catalan-Style Beef Stew

Ravioli and Tortellini are HUGE in this book (8-10 variations). I think someone just fell in love with them and needed to make as many recipes as possible. They also give a recipe for fresh pasta without a machine and two sauces for it. They both sound good but not likely to be a weeknight meal for me. Potato Gnocchi also makes an appearance with a homemade version.

This book also includes the Smart Shoppers Guide and Equipment Guide that previous books have. I always appreciate the shoppers guide, especially when something calls for half a bell pepper. I can certain just snack on the other half as I eat but it's nice to use it up in another meal.

They are using some new ingredients in this book which is nice to see like quinoa, soba noodles, lentils, pigeon peas and 4 recipes alone with napa cabbage. I don't eat soy products like tofu but there are recipes with tofu and soy crumbles as well.

Since I've started using these books my grocery costs have decreased tremendously and I no longer have a fridge FULL of leftovers. There are only two of us in this house but most of these recipes make enough food for both of us plus 1-2 small lunch servings (I eat less than the average person).

I find the recipes very easy and reliable. Even if it's not something I'll make again, I've not ever had a disaster of a meal. My only struggle with these books is the meat naming conventions they use for the cuts of beef. I can NEVER find beef in the cut they call for. I am to the point where I'll start going to a butcher just to ensure I get the right cut. I don't think that's necessary if you know the various ways meat are cut and the myriad of names they have but I have other things to memorize. :)

Overall, another solid addition to the series and I'll be making quite a few of these recipes in the coming weeks. BTW, I have made duplicates of several of the recipes in previous books which is a good thing. It means that I liked it enough to eat it again. I gorged on this series though and bought the previous 4 books all at the same time so I've been going crazy (in a good way) cooking new things all the time. I'll likely cook exclusively from this book for the next month or so and have no issues doing so.

If you have questions, LET ME KNOW!
107 people found this helpful
|77 comments|Report abuse
on October 4, 2014
Does America's Test Kitchen make a bad cookbook? Never. This one is a little different though. In Cooking for Two, you will find lots of helpful tips for avoiding leftovers, tips that transcend the recipes given. The recipes are tasty and unique, but what I find most helpful is the approach to cooking that focuses on quality not quantity. A must have for empty nesters or newly weds or parents whose idea if date night is putting the kids in bed and cooking a late dinner together. If you cannot stand leftovers piling up in the fridge, this is a must have.
on March 29, 2014
America's Test Kitchen already is one of my favorite programs. I love that they give you a history, and explain step-by-step how they got to where they are in the recipe. The fact that they know some of us cannot do anything besides cook for an army is AWESOME. Every recipe I have tried thus far (ranging in the 10-15 of the GINORMOUS options available) has been DELICIOUS. If anything, the only gripe my husband has is that cooking for two means he has no leftovers for the next day's lunch. Can't recommend this book enough--I have several of their magazine editions, and plan to acquire all of the series!
3 people found this helpful
on April 13, 2015
This is the most fabulous cookbook series I have ever encountered. I am committed to cooking the entire 2014 edition and almost 1/4 the way through. The recipes are great. Some may only take 30 minutes to an hours but there are those that take longer. One thing that I do not light is that some of the recipes are duplicated in the following year, which I find common.
on September 3, 2015
I love every cookbook I've received from this company. The recipes are delicious, and easy to follow. Now that there's only two of us in the house, I'm excited to try new recipes for the two of us. So far, we've loved each one.
on November 17, 2013
Cutting recipes down for two is not easy to do. I've made many dinners from
Cooking for two 2012 and love the results. Many of the recipes are slightly more involved than
others you might find, but the results are worth it. Also, the explanations the cooks give
in their trial testing is very interesting. Can't wait to work my way through the new book.
Seve R
5 people found this helpful
on September 10, 2016
good book, good price, fast service.
on April 23, 2014
Very satisfied. I was looking for ideas for my companion.and I.

I don't have anything else to say. I was taught to get to the point.

Rhoda
on November 16, 2014
I ordered kindle version and I was pretty disappointed. Thought there would be more classic type dinners a lot of weird recipes I will never make.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on January 21, 2016
Bought as a gift. They talk about it all the time. I am told it is extremely useful and practical. But everything from ATK is good!