Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 12, 2011
I originally got my clay pots and cookbook as a way to do some "home cooking" without having a working stove or oven. I was told that with a clay pot I could cook meat in a microwave without it tasting strange or having a rubbery texture. This is true, and I love clay pot cooking, and have found many good recipes to try in this cookbook. Unfortunately, not one recipe I have found in "Cooking in Clay" has microwave instructions.

I have used many of the recipes by using formulas from the web, and the outcome has not been bad, but it has been sort of "trial and error" (with many things I will do differently the next time to improve the result). It would have been so easy to just have added a quick note (Example:"If using the microwave, cook 5 minutes per lb of meat at full power and 15 per lb at 50% power"). This would have made it a far more versatile cookbook and been much more helpful for those of us currently "Kitchen impaired."
on December 23, 2009
I recently was digging through a kitchen cabinet, one delegated to storage of old pots and pans (you know those you swear you will use again, but probably won't), when I noted way in the depths, my old clay cooker, none-the-worse, for wear. Who knew! I'd forgotten it was there. I hadn't used it in years and wondered why I had placed it in such exile. I suspected I had made something less than satisfactory, giving up on clay cooking. I decided to resurrect the vessel---to give it another chance.

Since I wasn't sure if this clay roaster and I would get along, I opted for a reasonably priced cookbook to get started, settling on Joanna White's, 'Cooking in Clay.' I couldn't remember even the basics, like how long to soak the cooker, cleaning techniques, etc. So, basically, I was a novice, again.

I couldn't be happier with White's instructions, and recipes. This is an excellent book for the beginner; but one you can clearly grow with. Every recipe I have tried has been succulent. Now I'm using it mostly for reference regarding amount of product for cooking time, and I'm creating my own recipes.

I recently made a spicy chuck roast, with lots of garlic, green chilies, fresh tomatoes and onion, that resulted in the most flavorful, tender, stringy beef for tacos, I have ever had. And we do have some great Mexican restaurants in Texas, so I know good tacos. My hubby was so pleased he said he'd marry me all over again. It's definitely something I would have been intimidated to try, if not enjoying experimenting with White's recipes and adapting them to my taste. I'll eventually add another clay cook book to my library, but will have a special fondness for White's book because it paved the way for me to get started again, with this wonderful cooking method.

I'm thrilled to be reunited with my clay cooker. Every time I use it, I think of our sisters before us, and the vast history of clay cooking. There's something a little rustic and primitive about it---not unlike the same feeling our men have starting that charcoal fire. Both will take you back to your roots---in a good way.
on March 19, 2013
Too much reliance on canned soups - basically useless. Would not recommend this cookbook to anyone. if you are cooking in a clay pot you expect to cook from 'scratch.'
on May 17, 2013
This cookbook mainly concentrates on the oval clay cooking pot. Has a good variety of simple and delicious recipes.
Comes with good instructions in the front on how to cook with clay and care for your pot.
The bad is the pages come out easily but for the price it's OK. Once you get use to cooking with a clay pot you really don't need to follow recipes exactly.
on January 31, 2016
I opened the book and wanted to try all the recipes right away. They come out really nice, too.
on February 9, 2015
i only used it once, chicken came up very nice but not crispy, i like the skin crispy, not soft. i need to try it again and see what was wrong with the recepie.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2014
been cooking in clay for 15 years.love the linguini asnd clams---to die for.thanks for a great book.ordered some for the family.
on February 23, 2013
Purchased the book to go with a Clay Roaster gift . Reviewed the book and liked it. Hope the recipient also enjoys it.
on January 26, 2011
This has recipes for the niche market of clay cooking. I've only used a few, but they were good.
on March 20, 2000
I bought this book after I created several clay pots myself in my pottery studio. Not only did the pots work great with many of the books recipes, I found myself making more casseroles for friends and relatives.