Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 267 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 301 reviews
on August 24, 2008
Bruce Fife has done a great job in helping people to understand that coconut oil and other coconut foods are good for us. I have been aggressively integrating coconut into my diet with happy results. I believe that coconut oil, milk, flour & cream are really healthy food choices.

I bought this book hoping to find some really interesting main dishes that I could use to expand my use of coconut in daily food preparation. I was somewhat disappointed to find that the bulk of this cookbook is devoted to bread, muffins and desert items. This 160 page book has 50 pages of general information, about 90 pages of bread and dessert items, and 17 pages of main dish recipes with a predominant use of ground meat in those recipes. I seldom eat or cook with ground meat so these recipes were of little interest to me.

I suspect that anyone buying this book is interested in improving his nutrition, so if you are looking for a healthy bread/dessert recipe book, this cookbook may be perfect for you.
1313 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2007
I've only tried one recipe from this book so far, but I've read many of them. These are great recipes. Many with very few ingredients. The recipes are very simple and the one I tried so far had great results. Everyone who tasted the cookies loved them! One co-worker asked for them 3 days in a row. And I just happened to have some with me all 3 days.

I noticed that by using coconut flour, there is very little flour used in each recipe, but if you don't like to use a lot of eggs, you may not like a lot of these recipes, as there are about double the number of eggs used as in recipes with wheat flour.

The end product was quite tasty.
on March 23, 2007
I now make pumpkin, pineapple/banana, and sausage/cheese coconut muffins and freeze - nuke a couple for breakfast - they're not only good for you, they taste GREAT! This cookbook discusses how to use coconut flour, many of the recipes incorporate coconut oil, and gives you enough information to improvise even further.....
44 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2006
This book is very valuable for the basic information on working with coconut flour, as well as the recipes. I would NOT call it low-carb though, because there is a lot of sugar in the recipes. Even the "low-sugar" recipes are still half sugar and half stevia. I really liked the coconut muffins, but am working on which sugar substitute would be best so they can really be low-carb. The meatloaf tasted good, but had an odd, grainy texture that the baked goods did not. I'm very excited about baking with coconut flour, but will probably end up using a few of these recipes (the lower sugar and not quite so many eggs ones) more often than the others.
44 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2016
This book was published in 2005 and is out of date to the extent of being nearly useless. I realized I was gluten-intolerant in 2006, and studied everything I could find about the condition, but much more has been discovered since then and some of the information has been found to be dead wrong. I wish the author would update because many of the recipes, which do not regularly use expensive ingredients, would be good basic recipes to have.
on May 10, 2016
Very disappointed, title says a delicious low- carb, gluten-free alternative to wheat, which is not true. Recipes have sugar, cornstarch, can beans, bottle barbecue sauce, cornmeal, brown sugar, powder sugar, 2 cups pineapple, 3 or more bananas, 3 to 6 cups strawberries, apples, peaches, honey, corn syrup, 2 cups carrots, and more. i have been low carbing for years, all these things are on our NO CAN EAT list. Plus no nutrition list. Was looking for recipes that are cooked with coconut flour, gluten-free and low carb. Sorry but feel the title gave me a false idea on what the cookbook was about. If you are not low carbing, you might like the book.
on November 26, 2016
Decent book but it seriously needs an update and revision (2011). If you are ALLERGIC to eggs, beware as they are used in a lot of the recipe, some nearly a dozen. It would be nice to have options if there are allergies to ingredients in the recipes. Some of the recipes appear to have missing info, and others appeared to have typos, especially page 78, the chocolate chip cookies, as they were too dry and crumbly. with nice recipes and info about the benefits of coconut flour.
Cooking with coconut flour and the related ingredients are not cheap, so be sure you look closely at the recipe, as they are not for beginners as you really need to know how substitute if necessary and know when there is too much or too little ingredient in a recipe as noted above.
on March 29, 2015
One star for such a nice fragrance, but very hard to work with without having your cake or cookies, or whatever, come out wet and grainy.
on September 2, 2007
I can honestly say that this book has changed my life! Low-carb and healthy has never been so delicious. I am not one for baking, but I just whipped up a batch of delicious cupcakes with chocolate frosting--and I can eat one guilt free! Coconut flour is high in fiber, low in carbs and delicious! I love the low-sugar recipe options, too. Basically, use half the sugar and add stevia to taste. Perfection!
My favorite is the pancakes recipe--I can now eat my favorite breakfast food every day. Hot tip: Add a couple of chocolate chips to each pancake for the ultimate (guilt free!) decadence. Mmmmmmmm.
on February 22, 2007
I have found the recipes in this book to be very tasty and have enjoyed all of the recipes I have tried with the exception of the pancakes which just didn't seem like American pancakes to me. Be advised that you really must stick to the ingredients recommended, no substitutions.

I think one could safely say that it is a comprehensive guide to cooking with coconut flour.
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse