Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cooking with Days of Our Lives
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

on March 28, 1998
The soap opera, Days of Our Lives (DOOL to insiders) has been on the air since November 8, 1965. I was in high school then, but I watched it consistently during summer breaks, and I've been watching ever since. Well, perhaps I missed a few episodes here and there -- OK, maybe a few years out of the past 33 years. This book has given me not only the chance to catch up, but also the possibility of duplicating the Romantic and Celebritory meals featured on the show. The characters are real people to me, so I jumped at the chance to purchase this book, which includes "recipes from Salem's most popular restaurants," "food you might enjoy at...a Horton-Brady family picnic," AND "menus for meals served at DOOL's most popular weddings." The recipes, compiled by the restaurant critic for the DALLAS MORNING NEWS, seem pretty do-able. Many of them call for frozen vegetables and bottled barbecue sauce ("your favorite brand"), but there is plenty here to challenge the from-scratch cook as well, such as Grilled Mahi Mahi with Roasted Pineapple Salsa, Lamb Chops Crusted with Vivian's Favorite Herb Blend, and Catfish Po'boy with Brady Pub Tartar Sauce. The book also offers helpful biographies of the characters (not the actors) who inhabit the sophisticated city of Salem, U.S.A. These documents have aided me in catching up on the storylines I've missed. For instance, I had NO IDEA that Vivian Alamain "stole Kate Robert's embryo and had it implanted into her own uterus." The mind boggles! Nor did I realize that Mike Horton "ran up huge debts, which limited his precious time with Margo as he worked to repay them." And critics say that soaps are unrealistic? Neither did I know that Caroline Brady, "the blue-collar, salt-of-the-earth" wife of a humble Irish fisherman (and propriatress of the Brady Pub) had AN AFFAIR, in 1985, with Victor Kiriakis, who is Bo Brady's real father! That would make Bo just 13 instead of thirty-something, but who's counting? This is like finding out that my own grandpa ain't really my grandpa. The book assures the reader/viewer/cook that "There is great comfort in knowing that no matter how much things may change -- or even if Satan comes to town -- Christmas will still be observed at Alice Horton's." They are not kidding about Satan. Who can forget the storyline wherein Marlena was possessed? I shiver to think of those big yellow eyes. The Christmas menu includes Holiday Hot Chocolate (with an "optional" cup of brandy or bourbon), Old-Fashioned Eggnog, Alice's Famous Cake Doughnuts, Cut-out Sugar Cookies, Fruitcake, Mixed Nut Cereal Snack Mix (with three different kinds of dry cereals AND pretzel sticks), Sugared Almonds, and Best Brownies. There is a special wedding section, where one can duplicate Bo & Hope's English Wedding Tea, Sami & Austin's Paris Wedding, and Bo & Billie's Trattoria Wedding. Non-viewers should be forwarned that none of these marriages have lasted much beyond cutting the cake, so let that be a thought before you put too much time into whipping up Bow-tie Pasta with Artichokes or Tiramisu. There is also a cooking section entitled "On the Set", which features interesting recipes from the Jennie Cook catering firm in L.A., who actually cater to the cast. I am planning to make Chicken Pieces with Miriam's Marinade for dinner this very evening. "Cooking With DOOL" is entertaining, glossy, and would make a great gift for that Susan Banks or John Black fan in your life. There is only one question left unanswered for me -- who in the heck is Brady Black's mother???
on October 8, 2002
This is the first truly hilarious cookbook I have ever encountered!
For example here is an excerpt from "'I love you' cookies":
"Decorate the cookies with your message of choice: 'Good luck.' 'Love, Bo.' 'XOXO.'"
Now I want to make cookies for myself and write "Love, Bo" !
The only problem with this cookbook is if you are serious about cooking something, and not just looking for funny pictures of John, there is no organization except for themes like "Weddings" and "Trickery and Treats." So if you want to find pasta, you have to look page by page for a pasta recipe. But if you want to find the pasta Carrie and Austin ate at their wedding, you can find it quite easily, along with a great picture of Carrie slapping Sami.
So far I have only found one recipe I might want to make; all the other recipes are obvious (The "'I love you' cookies" are made with prepackaged cookie dough) or too expensive for my college budget. But who buys this for the recipes? Where else can you find a nice tart recipe next to John's letter to Marlena when he was awaiting execution for killing Tony? (who is alive and well now, but you already knew that)
on March 17, 2000
This book REALLy makes you feel like you're in Salem with recipe's from the show, you're bound to feel like Mrs. Horton! I definately love the little inserts to each recipe like a reminicing to get you in the mood for clam chowder or Alice's donuts. Simply superb! As an editor for Bella Online's Days Site I personally recommend this book for any occasion such as weddings (have yourself a Salem wedding!), for a romantic evening with your honey (candlelight dinners like Marlena and John!), Holiday recipe's from Christmas gatherings at the Horton's! This book can take me back to the DAYS in Salem (especially when the show is off for the weekend!) just by brewing me up some of that Brady Pub clam chowder, YUUUM!
on March 25, 1999
Good pictures, information and recipes. We have prepared the Mahi Mahi with roasted pineapple Salsa several times. Any Days fan ought to enjoy this book.
on December 19, 1999
I absolutely loved this book. There are many beautiful pictures in this book as well as some very interesting facts about the show. (The letters from Hope to Bo or John to Marlena were especially touching.)The recipes also seem extremely delicious. ( haven't yet had the time to make any of them! ) this is a must-have for any Days devotee.
on October 21, 2013
I love all of the old pictures and some of the interesting background information. The recipes were okay and an added bonus to buying the book. Love my Days of Our Lives soap!!!!
on August 6, 2013
I love Days of Our Lives. Interesting articles on the characters and yummy sounding recipes.I just have to try Alice Horton's donuts.
on November 20, 2013
All my favorite soap actors in it. It was definitely a collector's item and something I will keep put up after I get through looking at it.
on December 9, 2015
Very honest and respect! This book is very good and clean! Coverage missing but great looks!! I trust this seller ..
on June 3, 2016
"LIKE SANDS THROUGH THE HOURGLASS, SO ARE THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES"