Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on April 26, 2017
I've had to eat gluten free for 30 years and this is the best cookbook I have found for gluten free. I have to admit though, it does have lots of sugary things a kid would like. Penny's apple-brown sugar coffee cake is the best. Chicken fingers are real good to. She has her own gluten free flour mix at the beginning of the book. It is simple and works very well, even with other recipes I have.
on August 7, 2015
I think this is my favorite gluten-free cookbook yet. The pizza crust recipe? I nearly cried it was so good. We've tried a few recipes and a few gf flour blends and the results were fair to disappointing. But Silvana's blend and recipe? I couldn't stop commenting on how good it was and that I'd eat it even if we weren't gluten free. No one else at the table said anything--they were too busy gobbling this down. Clear instructions, great photography, and delicious recipes. If you know anyone who has recently gone gluten-free--this would make a lovely gift to get them started.
on April 22, 2014
I can only comment on her baking recipes, since I have only tried those so far. (I don't follow recipes for dinner cooking very well.) I cannot give enough praise to her baking recipes! I was so scared to start baking again after my daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease as well as Lactose Intolerance but these recipes were simple, and more importantly DELISH! My daughter can now enjoy brownies, doughnuts, cupcakes, cookies, etc just like the other kids. Even better, most people that have tried the baked goods have commented that these taste better, and have a better texture than their regular "gluten" counterparts. :)
My only complaint would be that the instructions are written in PARAGRAPH format, instead of step by step. So I had to rewrite all the instructions on sticky notes so I could have a quick way to glance at the book to remind myself what to do next.
on March 22, 2014
Thank you Silvava for your heart filled cookbook. You can see the love in your cooking, this cookbook is a labor of love.
I learned so much. No more dull tasting meals for our 2 1/2 yr.old grandson, or our family get togethers.
Last month he was diagnosed with Celiac, I thought well there are lots of children with allergies, so no gluten right. That sounds simple, but gluten is in everything. So I'll buy packaged foods, NO they are filled with starch, sugar & some ingredients that you would not normally eat in that volume. Plus no vitamins, no nutrients. So I tried to keep it simple but that was boring, our grandson loves food, & good tasting food. Also I found I was constantly worrying, is he getting enough vitamins, it was a struggle.

Then I bought your book " Cooking for Isaiah" everything became so much easier, I could see the enjoyment with my grandson as he ate meals I would make from your book. I relaxed, it's going to be ok, better than that we are all back to "normal" family meals that we all look forward to! Thank you!
on December 20, 2010
We have been gluten free for 8 months and have recently had to go dairy free due to my son's food intolerances. Gluten free I can do - there are enough mixes out there that I can get by although I do dearly miss bread. But dairy free too? I originally purchased the book for my daughter's school teacher who has the same food issues as we do. I paged through it and was sucked in by the "fried chicken" recipe and it just so happened that I had chicken out defrosting. I had to make it and boy was it delicious! Company came for dinner a few nights later and I prepared the sloppy joe/ crispy potato skins recipe - super yummy. My friend even asked me for the recipe. (The only thing with this particular recipe is that I don't understand why she didn't incorporate the potato back into the meal - she says to save it for another meal. I made mashed potatoes with it and topped the sloppy joe mixture with it and it was delicious).
And last weekend was my son's first birthday and we were having a birthday breakfast. I was so stressed out about what to prepare - I wanted to make foods that we could eat but that our guests would enjoy too. I took a huge leap of faith and made Silvana's apple cake and her pumpkin streusal muffins (and potato/egg nests from familyfun.com). Everyone loved it - I got so many compliments and people asked me for the recipes. The best part...my husband hates pumpkin yet he ate two muffins...then later asked me what was in them that made them so yummy. He was floored when I said pumpkin! :) Anyway, I highly recommend this book - you won't be disappointed!
on May 16, 2015
I bought this book as a surprise for my mom, who has been gluten and dairy-free for about a year. She absolutely loves it! She constantly raves about the recipes she has tried, not a single one of which she hasn't loved. In fact, she loved the book so much that she bought a second copy, one for her home abroad and one to keep in the states when she visits.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It has changed my mom's life! Although it wasn't her goal, she has lost 30 pounds since beginning her diet and is smaller than she was on her wedding day. Her skin is absolutely beautiful (her original intention with the diet was simply to clear up her skin - way to go mom!), and she looks years younger. Her strength, drive, and dedication constantly inspires me.

So for those wanting inspiration or needing support with continuing a gluten and dairy-free diet, this book is an absolute must-have! It will be the best decision you make today.
on April 3, 2013
I do love this cookbook for its variety of dishes (it's not just desserts, not just main dishes, but a little of everything) and creative use of the waffle iron to make a quick gf bread for sandwiches (brilliant)! I thought about withholding one star only because I don't believe her gf flour mix is spot-on but top-heavy with tapioca flour which makes it gummy (which is fine in Brazilian breads but not even close to the texture of the bread that we're used to here in the U.S. My own flour mix, after years of experimentation, has more potato starch than tapioca.) I've tried many of the recipes in this book and have found all of them to be really delicious, NOT difficult at all if you already have your flour mix made, and very very creative. Unfortunately a lot of people have discovered it imperative to go gluten-free, but the good news is that there are now plenty of good cookbooks on the market. This is one of them.
on April 27, 2017
Silvana's two cookbooks are the best out there for gluten and lactose free recipes. I have Celiac Disease and am lactose intolerant. Every recipe I have tried in the books turns out well. She includes her cup for cup flour mixture and it performs better than anything I have tried on the market. Silvana gets it. Wish she would write another book. Bet she has many more recipes to share. Would have given this 10 stars if that was possible.
on September 14, 2011
I don't remember how I found this book, whether it was a review or 'recommendation' but it doesn't matter. I'm just REALLY glad I bought it! This book is full of recipes that I can't wait to to try on a daily basis. My 14yr old son has been lactose free for the last year and half. He's always hungry, and mornings and afternoon snacks have been tough to have things on hand for him to eat. This book will give me tons of stuff of base items that I can make and sock away in the freezer that he can pull out when he wants - AND they won't taste like cardboard. One thing though, I would love to find out if anyone is getting White Rice flour in bulk somewhere?

In our family of 5, besides my son, I'm also GF. So, rare is the day that I can make something for us and one of my other teenagers doesn't say "Ew,is this GF/LF, I'm not eating that". Right now, I'm actually watching all the family get ready for their day, and the Apple-brown Sugar Coffee Cake from pg 54 is disappearing! My husband just snagged a tiny piece on his way to the gym saying "Wow, it IS really great" and will have some more when he gets back. I had to tell my 16yr old (nonGF) son to cut his enormous second piece in half! I've also made the Chicken Tetrazzini on page 95. It would have been great, except I screwed it up myself.

As with a lot of cookbooks, you need to adapt them to your family and this cookbook is no different. For example the coffee cake in this book is for a 9in springform pan. This would never be enough to feed my teenagers in the morning. So, I doubled the flour base part, cut some of the oil & sugar and replaced it with some applesauce, added more apple and cinnamon so I would be able to bake it in my larger Pampered Chef Deep Dish Baker. When I made the Chicken Tetrazzini, I made the mistake of when it called for water that I thought to make it chicken boullion. However, you use a grocery store roasted chicken to begin with, so there was just to much salt..so don't do that! However, our family decided that it still needed something, maybe some carrots in it and a little garlic.

No matter what you need to adapt, this cookbook is awesome. I'm hoping Ms. Nardone has another one stewing in that brain of hers. I owe her a huge debt of thanks already.
on February 22, 2012
This book is wonderful. ANYONE who is new to celiac disease or the gluten free world has learning to do in the kitchen. You just do. However--the author does have many easy recipes--one of them being her meatball recipe---And this book is worth it for her meatball recipe alone. They are so delicious. My kids cannot get enough every single time I make these for dinner...without exception! They are easy to make...(I substitute onion powder for the onion as my husband has an aversion to all things onion like in texture)...and it is still awesome! If I would have had this recipe prior to being gluten and dairy free I would have been using it a long time ago. (The rice milk makes these even better as I have tried it with regular milk--I'm the only lactose intolerant in the bunch--and they were a little "different"--not as moist). Even my non celiac friends that I have made this for were amazed it was gfree/dairy free. This cook book is totally worth it. I haven't had to buy any special pans--except a donut one...I use my regular ole non-stickers for the recipes I've made with excellent results. A kitchenaid type mixer is a must for gfree dough--but that has been our biggest expense, you need it if you are going to be doing gfree baking anyway--any cookbook. I wasn't a baker until my son's diagnosis and I just saved our $$ for the mixer. Best wishes!
Hint: I keep crushed Rice Chex in a ziploc in the pantry...makes for one less step in the meatball recipe/and I usually have one of my boys do the crushing. :)