Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canal House Cooking, Vols. 1-3 (Summer / Fall & Holiday / Winter & Spring)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on August 6, 2014
EXCELLENT COOKBOOKS. I had read reviews of the Canal House Cooking series initially in the NYT and tried their recipe for crab cakes which were the best I'd ever had. I've been collecting cookbooks, kitchen equipment as well as cooking, which is definitely my favorite form of "artistic expression" not just my hobby but my passion for more than 45 years. I still buy cookbooks albeit they are generally ethnic cookbooks at this point remembering how much I'd enjoyed their crab cake recipe I figured I needed to buy Volumes 1-3 to read their compilation of recipes. This set is absolutely fabulous...not only for their recipes which are well presented, easily re-created, etc. but for all the excellent tidbits of information collected through both their experience but what they garnered from years of excellent advise from people like Alice Waters, etc. The recipes are good and the insights they offer between recipes excellent. The authors set an ambitious pace and I wondered how long they'd be able to keep up the quality of the initial volumes and what I've gathered from reading reviews of subsequent volumes is that while good they did not live up to these first 3 volumes but if you enjoy cooking and trying to expand your horizons or pick up some ideas these volumes are definitely must haves.
on February 19, 2013
I enjoy that these magazines are separated by season. As well the internal organization of of each into things like drinks, to start, fish, stews etc is very inviting and makes me cook more from the books. All recipes tried so far have been delicious and despite not having an over abundance of obscure ingredients have been complex in flavor and highlighted the seasonal ingredients.
on June 19, 2014
This set, and the Vol 4-6 set, are both fantastic and should be a "staple" in everyone's cookbook collections. From the novice to the expert there is something for everyone. Good recipes delivered clearly and with many wonderful pictures to inspire you. The only thing I would say is that the printing quality of the 1st set was not as good as the 2nd, and neither are top of the line printing quality, but certainly not a reason to hesitate to buy either one. If you really use them, you're going to end up with food and spills on the pages and that to me is the sign of a well-used cookbook.
on January 12, 2013
I heard about these through Jamie Lee Curtis in a magaxine article. The recipies are faavorful and healthy.
I havn't used it yet but I did read all three volumes in one sitting. Looking forward to passing on some good food
on September 3, 2013
Fresh, easy, fabulous food: that is Canal House. I worked my way through the big red book which is a comilation of these three books. I wanted more and I got it. This is really farm to table for even the most basic cook. Every page is delicious and easy to do. The photography and graphics are gorgeous too. Great gift as well.
on January 2, 2013
I haven't tried any of the recipes but they look like foods that I will make for everyday cooking and sometimes for company. The books are a visual pleasure to go through.
on September 1, 2015