- Hardcover: 1216 pages
- Publisher: Prentice Hall; 3 edition (July 19, 2002)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0130452416
- ISBN-13: 978-0130452412
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 2 x 11 inches
- Shipping Weight: 6.6 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (34 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #648,962 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
On Cooking: A Textbook of Culinary Fundamentals (3rd Edition) 3rd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
"This book is simply the best one of its kind. A masterful collection of reliable recipes and step-by-step procedures, accompanied by brilliant food photography and lore, it is a must for every kitchen-home or professional." Dr. Noel Cullen, Certified Master Chef and Past President, American Culinary Federation
"On Cooking has everything a culinary student or young chef needs-clear, close-up photos, basic butchery, principles of the bake shop and magnificent dessert presentations. For working professionals, it is a gold mine of invaluable tables and charts and hard-to-find information. Best of all, On Cooking provides all of this priceless information in one single book. I predict that it won't take long for a professional chef's copy to get that battered, grease-stained, much-used look." Shirley O. Corriher, CCP cooking teacher and author of CookWise
From the Back Cover
Attractively designed and extensively illustrated with color photographs, line drawings, charts and tables, this contemporary introduction to cooking and the culinary arts focuses on, information relevant to today's students. Comprehensive and well written, On Cooking emphasizes an understanding of cooking fundamentals, explores the preparation of fresh ingredients and provides information on other relevant topics such as culinary history and food science.
- Over 1800 original color photographs and line drawings illustrate preparation and presentation techniques and identify fresh foods and ingredients, tools, and equipment.
- New chapter on Mise en Place explains this important professional conceit and illustrates basic techniques.
- Expanded Principles of Cooking chapter provides step-by-step photographs and explanations for each cooking method.
- Essays and recipes from over 50 prominent chefs, food writers, and food producers allow readers to benefit from the combined expertise of these professionals.
- Over 750 proven, tested recipes from the authors and from numerous chefs working in culinary schools, restaurants, and hotels throughout the country are included. New recipes focus on classic dishes and competency-based skills, giving beginning cooks a strong foundation on which to build.
Browse award-winning titles. See more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
Most recent customer reviews
Also the last dudes notes and stuff are very helpful.Read more