Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 166 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 212 reviews
on March 20, 2014
I've had my pressure cooker for about a year now and I LOVE it. The Lorna Sass books have been my teachers.
The recipe for Coq au Vin that you'll find in "Cooking Under Pressure" is worth buying the book. Everything I've made, from all three books (Cooking Under Pressure, Pressure Perfect, and Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure), has been wonderful. I am, finally, prompted to write a review by my latest success, Corned Beef with Cabbage and Potatoes. I had people coming for a St. Patrick's Day dinner and I got a late start... No problem! The recipe took only an hour for prep and cooking time. The dinner was a great success. Everyone asked for seconds (even the children) and my husband declared it the best corned beef dinner he'd ever had. Thank you, Lorna Sass!
(This recipe is in the book "Pressure Perfect" on page 104.)
A final note, since falling in love with the pressure cooker, my slow cooker has been exiled to the garage. I never use it. The flavor produced in the pressure cooker seems to be so much better. I don't know why.
Enjoy your pressure cooker! And, please, do yourself a favor and try the Coq au Vin.
on November 21, 2014
Not had a lot of time to use the recipes yet. I do wish it had some more basics in there for when I'm in a hurry. I watched her on television helping Wolf Gang Puck on one of the home shopping shows advertising his pressure cooked. That particular pressure cooker I did in fact purchase and therefore sent for several books for electric pressure cookers especially her's. Mine does not have any heat settings so it's just turn the knob to the time your cooking for and that's it. This book or any of the others does not cover one with just the one setting so it makes the recipes a guessing game as many have "do this setting, wait for X amount of minutes and change it to this setting" I can't do that Lorna. She does have lots of handy little tips and writes in a common "non-gourmet chef" way. I do wish she had put all the handy "cooking at a glance" charts in one place, like maybe the back of the book. The only other thing I would suggest is, I don't know about the rest of you but I'm a very messy cook and (as my mother-in-law would say) I cook all over the house! There's flour and peels everywhere like a bomb went off at dinner time. So I said all that to say I really like cook books with covers and pages that can take some amount of motivated cooking ingredients strewn about without pages getting stained and/or stuck together. js. But that's me. Except for the above mentioned considerations, not a bad book.
on February 17, 2010
The other night I gave a Valentine's Day dinner party using recipes from this book. The osso buco (with risotto) was "to die for" and was easier than I ever thought it could be. The guests ate and ate, then complained of being too full but politely accepted a bit of dessert - being the chocolate-kahlua bread pudding. After raving about the bread pudding, they all took seconds and devoured the rest.

I had previously tested my new pressure cooker by making a chocolate bread pudding from the recipe book that came with the pressure cooker. It was runny and tasteless and I wondered why anyone would bother. I scratched bread pudding off my list. I was then advised to try Lorna's recipe since she tests them carefully. I was so happy I did!!!!! I used brioche bread (challah) and 71% Valrhona chocolate which helps, I am sure.

Apparently my guests all called other friends, and two days later I was getting calls from the others asking why they were not invited and "could they come next time".

I am new to the pressure cooker but am becoming a convert, having bought two sizes (so far). However, I am NOT new to the Sass cookbooks. I am a devotee and it is because of her cookbooks that I decided to try the pressure cooker. Her explanations and suggested variations truly teach you how to cook, which is more than just being able to read and follow a recipe. Sass is a rare combination of scholarly and anti-snob. She understands and explains how to select, store, use, and prepare the ingredients (especially the grains), but where there are shortcuts she will tell you about them without apology. ("If you have no dried mint leaves, empty a bag of mint tea.") For those of us who are trying to move to more of a grain-based diet, her cookbooks are a MUST.

Further, the format of her books - all her books - is the easiest to read and understand. The instructions are straightforward, the ingredients are clear and provide a readable shopping list. The charts and the basics are right where you would instinctively look for them.
on December 29, 2016
a classic that I found via a friend. I am new to pressure cooking so was happy to have this cookbook with the preface sections. Lorna gives general "science" and Rules of Thumb for various foods, and you'll find you can be successful adjusting recipes on your first try. I bought the Kindle version for 99 cents - a great deal and a genius use of my iPad in the kitchen.
on May 26, 2014
The first thing I did when I got my pressure cooker (stove top, not electric) was read the instruction book that came with it. Then I set it aside and read this book. I never picked up the instruction book again. This is a great resource with everything you need from recipes to cooking charts. The instruction book tells you (predictably) not to cook beans or rice in the pressure cooker. I primarily use my cooker for beans following Lorna's recommendations. I've never had an issue and am very happy with this book!
on March 16, 2014
Purchased an electric pressure cooker - which I absolutely LOVE. Purchased this book to use as reference since I have cooked with standard pressure cookers before. Basically I have been using the book as a reference for things that I need times for and for some of the recipes.
on February 9, 2013
Lorna fills in the blanks with some good tips from her experience like using more water than the recipe calls for to make up for the fluid lost by the steam. The recipes were not glamorous--just basic recipes. I read a few and tried them but nothing really stood out as a favorite to go back to . I did make the risotto in the pressure cooker using her recipe and I was impressed that it was so well cooked and not hard/crunchy. And, I didn't have to stir it for 20 mins to add the fluids but i like my other recipes better--more flavor.

I'll try more recipes and update this as I go. The book was highly recommended by others so maybe I am missing something.
on February 9, 2017
This was my first pressure cooker book. Sass taught me so much. I have since purchased her other books and just love them all.
on December 30, 2013
After numerous trials and errors with pressure cooker recipes and books I have finally found a keeper in Cooking Under Pressure. This book is a real winner. There is excellent variety in the recipe's and great accommodation for cooking times and different models of pressure cookers. The author takes into account a wide variety of tastes, and explains with great detail why certain pressure methods are ideal for different foods.

I particularly value the wide variety of general pressure cooker tips and tricks scattered through the book which act as a reference for cooking staples like beans, rice, potatoes, lentils, squash, and virtually every variety of meat and vegetable that a home-cook can imagine. Regardless of the recipe I am using I always consult this book for a comparison, notes, or alternatives. Overall excellent!
on February 22, 2017
Lots of interesting recipes here. Already tried two and enjoyed both. Some require a fair amount of preparation before pressure cooking. I prefer the "dump it in and set the timer variety" (yes, I'm kinda lazy). Definitely worth the bargain price!