Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 81 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 118 reviews
on May 25, 2014
For a romantic mystery type of novel, this was very good. Even excellent.

It takes some twists and turns, has great character development, and plot development, too. I read the whole book, even knowing that it was more a romance novel, than a classic mystery.

Once I posted my review, from my iPad, I was shown a few other books by the same author, and realized that I may have gotten the one with the least romance, and the most mystery! I mention my iPad - the original one - only because of the inflexibility to immediately add to, or change, the review. To get to it, I must wait for the notice by email and then follow that link here.

Given it is not the type of material I usually read, it is, indeed, very good. Unfortunately I have nothing to which I can compare this book; rather ... fortunately. But, as a long time musician, a rocker of sorts, the rock musician aspect of this book it did hit me in a certain way. Especially having had the honor of meeting John Lennon and Paul McCartney, the latter of whom once told me, "remember, we're just like you!" The Beatles couldn't just go down to the corner store for a pack of gum, or a newspaper, without being mobbed. There's an element of this truth in Ms. Weir's book, as well, which is part of Eddie Berlin character's psychological make-up.

If you take a chance on this romance novel, with truly very few pages of explicit ... er, uh ... romance, you might just like it. Really, it was very enjoyable!
on September 5, 2013
First of all, there is no mistake this is mainly a love story and not a mystery romance. The reader might think differently as the story opens. Madison (Maddie) Magenta Smith's sister Enid has gone missing and Madison, having just been fired from her DJ job in Arizona, heads to Nebraska to look for her sister. Maddie is definitely a naive young woman who is also a rarity in the fact that she has kept her virginity up to this point in her life. Let's just say that Enid, Maddie's sister, is not a nice person and Maddie learns that Enid had turned to prostitution before going missing. In looking through her sister's diary she learns that Enid had been enamored of one of her "clients" Eddie Berlin. Eddie Berlin is a handsome young man with a troubled past, connected to the music industry, who lives like a hermit in a disheveled house behind a screen of wild growth on the outskirts of town. In her search for her sister, Maddie of course confronts Eddie, using the lame disguise as another prostitute. In an almost mystical experience Maddie is completely undone by the presence of Eddie and loses her virginity to him before she realizes what is going on. (I thought maybe this was going to be a vampire or some similar type story when this occurred, but there is no paranormal activity in this book). The rest of the book mainly revolves around the unfolding, tumultuous love affair between Eddie and Maddie, but the back story involves a missing music tape of a John Lennon-like character, Rick Beck, who had been assassinated by a fan and whose past is also connected to Eddie. There are several twists and turns and several of the other secondary characters will in the long run be found to have a connection to the Rick Beck history as well. A nice love story, well told, and with some mystery.
on January 12, 2012
I fell in love with this book almost instantly! It was dripping with witty humor, intrigue, and amazing story telling. It has claimed the title of "Most Favorite Read Ever" for me. It's hard to review since I was so captivated by the story that I didn't take many notes... and the ones I did take were gushy "squee" types. I did have a couple minor issues that were eventually eclipsed by the story itself though. Mainly some dialog tagging, or lack thereof, that caused some confusion at one point. And at the end there was a flashback to Eddie's past that I felt was too long. It challenged the pacing a little bit, but thankfully when the flashback ended the pacing resumed at it's normal speed.

I love these characters so much! Maddie was sarcastic, tough yet soft, and generally portrayed in a believable manner. Eddie was enthralling. One minute he was insanely hot, and the next he was just a man with real issues. I never understood the whole "wounded hero" thing before... I get it now though! Eddie still manages to come off as an alpha man in almost every situation. Together Maddie and Eddie are just electrifying. From the moment they meet the sparks fly, and the tension is palpable. Above that though, is the way they compliment each other. I love them as a couple and rooted for them from the time in the weeds to the HEA.

Overall, I loved this book a lot and can not wait to read again. I'm hoping to get this in hard copy for my bookshelf soon. When I first saw this free at amazon, I almost passed it up because of the cover... but I saw a review where someone had said it was a romance, so I figured I'd give it a try. So glad that I did!
on January 9, 2013
I loved everything about this book. Period. There was situations that dealt with a lot of real life issues, and they weren't taken lightly or brushed under the rug. Nor did love conquer all, like it does in so many romance novels. No...these two people were very flawed in many different ways.

There is also a lot of mystery surrounding this story, and lots of major twists and turns. I can assure you right now.... you'll never in a million years, be able to predict what happens next in this story. I think my jaw dropped to the ground when I read the last few chapters of this book. The ending was so completely different, than what I ever expected it to be.

I read this book in record time,even for me and I'm a very avid reader. I usually read 1-2 books on a daily basis, but this one just seemed to flow better than most I've read recently. Plus... there's the fact that I couldn't put the book down for even a second or two, it was just that good.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, in a heart beat! Now I'm off to see what else this author has to offer. ;)
on July 24, 2017
I read this book in two days. It wouldn't let me put it down. Started reading it on the plane and what a good little find it was. Sweet ending and interesting beginning and ending was total surprise!
on April 4, 2014
Wow! That was my immediate reaction when I read this book. Two very odd characters meet under even odder circumstances. He's an agoraphobic recluse and she's a woman who can't settle down anywhere. Add to that a sister that has disappeared and who both hero and heroine have a negative relationship to.

This romance wasn't sugary or fluffy but it also wasn't dark and gloomy. It was a portrayal of two people and how they find each other dispite circumstances.

The ending was a bit too fast paced and too many things threads were collected too quickly but I suppose me wanting the book to be longer was also about me loving the book and wanting more.
Written in 1998 this is an overlooked gem. It lulls you into a comfortable complacency then it grips and shocks with surprises. Maddie and Eddie are flawed characters. Can they really have any kind of relationship? Will there problems be insurmountable? These questions pop up throughout the reading.

The characterization here is so well done that you will feel like you know these people. Perhaps she is that young woman who lives across the street and he is that young man who you haven't seen in ages. Evelyn the landlady is like the woman down the block who is never out of her housecoat. We know all these characters and Weir is letting us into the part of their lives we always were curious about.

The slow beginning is a delightful counterpoint to the fast paced ending.
on December 13, 2011
Honestly, I was feeling so frustrated with the books that I got in my kindle. Almost losing the desire to find some good read. Thanks goodness that Cool Shade was the next in my list! I enjoyed so much the characters. The story was sweet, entertaining and well written. My only complain it was that I wanted to read more about it. Indeed a very good read.
on January 9, 2013
This book was just weird. The main characters were very unlikeable. A wandering, can't-hold-down-a-job, mousey girl meets a prostitute-loving, drunk recluse. The storyline about the missing sister is what kept me from totally giving up on this book, but that part was done and over without the main character even doing any real investigating or trying to find her. **Spoiler** The sister just shows back up. It felt very anti-climatic and weak. The worst part of this book, BY FAR, was the main character having sex with recluse drunk the second time she sees him, even though she's a virgin (posing as a prostitute to see him again..??) and he's drunk... and it's over in like 3 seconds. Uhhh, what? What a romantic story!
on January 19, 2013
This is not your typical romance story where both H/h are either rich or beautiful or both. In this story each one had a flaw that made you love them more. I loved how different this story is, but you still see the chemistry there. Theresa Weir has a unique way of telling a story that captures you. I just fell in love with the characters (flaws and all). When I was reading the book I was feeling some dark/mystery kinda writing and when I looked up her other books I saw that she also writes those kinds of books. Which I am now going to start on. I am glad I found this author I definitely like her style of writing. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a unique romance story.