Copper Spur UL 2 Tent
|Price:||$429.95 & FREE Shipping|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 3-season ultralight backpacking tent
- 2-person capacity
- DAC Featherlite NSL pole system
- Press fit connectors
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
Pros: (1) Very light (2) Very spacious, even for 6'+ people, lots of space around the head of the tent, love that (3) Wonderful light colors make you feel cheery when inside it, even on cloudy days (4) Very easy to set up and pack, free standing (5) lots of mesh to keep cool/look at stars on warm or humid nights (6) Large vestibule space on either side for storing gear or even cooking away from rain.
Cons: (1) Ultra-light rainfly fabric makes a weird sound in wind, even light wind. Sounds like rain drops are hitting the tent (2) Small cross-beam makes it hard to put the fly on, I'm always scared I'm going to rip it (3) You do have to take care in regards to the fabric (it's actually quite sturdy, but you don't want to trip on a guy line if you have it staked out)
I have used this tent in cold, rainy, windy weather and it was great. I have camped in it in southern Mississippi in July when it was 110 degrees and 80% humidity...not saying I was comfortable, but this tent was as close to having nothing there as possible due to all the breathable mesh (I mostly used it to keep bugs off me). I felt like I was under the stars with a 360 sky view!
The tent performed really well and the things I really liked about it were:
- the weight
- the dual door, dual fly vestibules made accessing my bag easy while also protecting it from the elements
- the build/collapse time was incredibly fast and very, very easy
- color coded elements to assist in setup were very helpful
- interior pockets were great and well-located
- comfortable size for 1 person, though probably too tight for 2 people
- overall construction. the materials and construction were excellent. Love how BA focused on the small details on this product.
The things I really did NOT like were:
- #1 frustration - it is very difficult to climb into. The zipper shape might be re-thought to work more like the MSR Hubba Hubba
- The Big Agnes footprint (sold separately) is not very thick (weight savings) and therefore, not as durable
- Only 1 small vent in the fly. Got a lot of heat/condensation build-up.
- No windows through the fly. Would be nice to see what's coming at you sometimes without opening the fly and the tent.
- The cost. I don't believe the cost for this tent is fully justified when you compare it to very similar tents that are 1 lb heavier but over $100 less expensive.
I like the tent a lot and would recommend it; however, I'd probably advise friends to look at other makes and models that offer similar features for less if weight is not their #1 issue. Overall, Big Agnes makes a GREAT product (I've learned), but the price/value ratio is not always fantastic.
When looking at all the tents possible, weight was an issue, height and length. I wanted to be comfortable even in bad weather. This tent had it all and I am very happy with this purchase.
On the down side, it is smaller than your average 2-man tent. The inside height is shorter than most. The tent floor is tapered so that your feet space is smaller than the entrance/head side. I've used it about a dozen times and clean it regularly so I have yet to run into any problems. The stitching and cords are strong. I haven't had to use it in heavy winds so I can't say anything about those conditions. Overall, I would recommend this to anyone looking for a quality 1-man tent who thinks weight and packing size is a priority.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I bought the UL2 in 2010 plus the footprint based on good reviews from multiple places and the weight. I am an older (60+) ultralight backpacker living in Alaska. Read morePublished 16 months ago by knighteagleAK
Very light, easy to set up, great backpacking tent for two. Cool without the fly, but the fly makes a good 3 season tent. Read morePublished on November 13, 2013 by A Roberts
This is the first tent I have ever bought, I got lucky and picked it up half price at REI.com for the deal of the day. Read morePublished on August 28, 2013 by Sullivan06
I bought the Copper Spur UL 3 - 3 person tent and love it! The only problem is that when my wife and I go camping and bring our little boy with us, it gets a little too cozy, so... Read morePublished on July 10, 2013 by Phill
This tent is great! EASY to set up. It's light and it packs down small and manageable.
I've used this tent for full bicycle touring in different weather conditions. Read more
Great light weight backpacking tent for a couple, we use it with our medium sized dog, packs and boots in vestibule, we are both tall and its hard to fit two mattress's in it but... Read morePublished on June 1, 2012 by Ross Murphy
I purchased my BA Copper Spur 2 from HumbleOutdoors for a little over $300, it came with a free BA footprint.
My Copper Spur 2 is my lightest backpacking I have owned! Read more