Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Chris young PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Corduroy
Format: Paperback|Change

on May 15, 2017
Love this book! It was my favorite childhood book and recently bought for cousin's child. It a sweet story that talks about a stuffed, alive bear that no one wants and then he finds a home willing to accept his imperfection.
on November 20, 2016
Such a sweet little story, and one to get little one's imaginations running wild. I bought this for our little one's growing library, even though he's not here yet. I read it yesterday and was not disappointed at all like I have been with some other baby/small children's books I've ordered online. I will be very happy to read this to our son again and again as he so chooses.
on August 2, 2016
After remembering how much I loved this book as a child, I bought it for my daughters. It's much more old fashioned than I remember but I enjoy that, and I think it'll make for great conversation when they're old enough to see the difference in what they see in the book vs the "real" world. Such a wonderful, classic book!
on August 27, 2017
Corduroy is an enduring favorite. I read it to my kids & now I'm reading it to grandkids. So glad it's still in print!
Thanks for the quick delivery. My book arrived in perfect condition!
on September 2, 2017
This was a favorite book of my son's when he was little; we just gave it as part of a collection of books for a new baby. I also use it as a read aloud when teaching new English learners or Kindergartners. It is a good springboard for talking about emotions focusing on the expressions on Corduroy's and Lisa's faces.
on November 19, 2015
Bought this a couple different times now for grandchildren as it is a favorite one!!! One of my granddaughters even completely memorized the entire book when she was only 3. Priceless hearing her recite every single word of this story. It was one of her favorites and still remains to be. I recall reading this book to one of my little brothers and he also loved it. Nice that the pages can't tear...a definite plus when you have little hands wanting to turn the pages. Love it!
on October 10, 2017
MY DAUGHTER LOVES THIS BOOK. i think little kids love anything that personifies inanimate objects and this story does a GREAT job of that! its become one of my daughter's favorites and its such a funny and heartwarming little story :)
on November 21, 2016
This was my husbands favorite book growing up and i was excited to order it for him to read to our little one! When it came, it is even cuter than the pictures made it look. The Bear is a little bigger than i expected and i love it! This book will be a part of so many memories being made and i love that the cost for the book and bear was as much as i had found just the book in stores! Great find!
on January 15, 2014
Ten classic Don Freeman stories, one unpublished experiment, and a biography of the writer.

Well, I foolishly thought I was going to get these 10 fun classic stories in their entirety all in one big book. While the text is not abridged, the illustrations are. Each of the stories is collapsed by several pages. While some pages are as originally designed by Don Freeman, most of the illustrations that used to fill half a page in original editions are, in this collection, reduced (shrunk) down to vignettes amidst a lot of text. If I am not mistaken, some of the illustrations are also missing (as in Fly High, Fly Low)

I feel this is wrong, and I would wager money that Freeman himself would never have approved this shrinking, never let this book go to print in its current format.

These stories are intended to be read to very young children, from, say, age 2 to 6 or 7. The illustrations are so important to kids, and the layout of one large illustration per page or per facing pages is part and parcel of the dynamic of reading aloud to a child.

The child sees the illustration that goes with the text being read to him. That is the correct way to let a children's storybook unfold. This book, with its squashed-together and snrunken-down pictures, doesn't allow the story to unfold with the illustrations.

I mean, would you fast-forward scenes in a movie while listening to dialog and soundtrack in real time? Of course not. So this collection's irritating format reveals in illustrations visible on the pages far too much info, way too far ahead in the plot, for the narrative the child is hearing.

Freeman was a great story teller and, like any excellent graphic novel or cinematic work, suspense and interest was created with the timing of what is seen against what is read. Some of Freeman's most dramatic imagery (cop blows his whistle at the pigeon Sid - a huge image in Freeman's intended version of Fly High Fly Low, or the boy Thayer discovering Beady Bear sitting in a cave) lose all their impact by being reduced to a tiny picture that the child is going to see on the vast crowded page while mom, dad, or babysitter is reading from way back on the part about Sid getting stuck at the top of the Golden Gate Bridge in a fog bank, or the part in Beady Bear about running away with the evening papers. It's ridiculous and the stories lose much impact as a result.

I felt really cheated. I didn't get 11 books in one. I got a crappy version of each one. Shame on Viking / Penguin!
on October 9, 2017
This was my favorite book as a child, so I'm sharing it with my young niece. I like the fact that this one comes with the little stuffed bear to make the story more real. :)