Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Core Perl Paperback – December 21, 2001
Prepare for your professional certification with study guides and exam prep tools from Wiley. See more
From the Back Cover
- A complete, tools-based guide for experienced developers!
- Provides practical techniques for solving real-world programming problems
- Covers text handling, database manipulation, networking, and much more
- Also features Perl for the Web: CGI, Apache integration with mod_perl, site publishing, and Web/database applications
The serious developer's guide to Perl!
This start-to-finish tutorial and reference gives experienced developers the techniques and real-world code they need to master Perlfast! Begin by leveraging your current skills to quickly master the fundamentals of Perl developmentfrom basic syntax to objects, data structures to text processing. Next, learn how to use Perl's powerful facilities for working with files, networks, and relational databases. Finally, Core Perl shows you how to make the most of Perl in any Web application-from simple CGI to full-fledged site development and delivery. Coverage includes all this and more:
- Data types and built-in functions
- Writing and using modules
- Text and DBM file manipulation
- The DBI portable database interface and Web database integration
- CGI, Apache mod_perl modules, HTTP cookies, HTML/Perl templates, and more
- Mason: The Perl-based Web site publishing engine
- Debugging, program maintenance, optimization, and security
For years, developers worldwide have relied on Perl for fast, flexible solutions to an extraordinary range of problems, from text manipulation and system administration to database access and Web integration. Core Perl gives developers the skills and insight needed to build robust, maintainable, high-performance codewhatever your application.
About the Author
REUVEN M. LERNER has been a Web/database consultant since 1995, specializing in open-source software such as Perl and Linux. He lives with his wife and daughter in Modi'in, Israel.
Browse award-winning titles. See more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
This is a great companion book to the cookbook, without jumping into 'Accessing Substrings' on page 3 (like the cookbook does.) Lerner warms the reader up with about fifty pages of getting started information that I found to be useful reference material while reading later chapters.
Besides the content of this book, I especially appreciate the style of the book. Effective use of whitespace even Tufte would appreciate which makes the content jump off the page. The use of simple and easy to follow syntax can never be understated especially in this language.
The only fault I could find is a recommendation for the book "Advanced Perl Programming."