Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 73 reviews
VINE VOICEon January 8, 2013
The good news is that I only wasted a few hours trying to install Corel Painter 12 on my Windows 7 64-bit Lenovo PC. There are reports on the internet of people wasting days. The bad news is that I was really looking forward to trying this software that I purchased from Amazon.

I first tried installing the software from the CD-ROM. This installed without problems but whenever I tried to run the program, Windows would crash with the banner "Windows has stopped working". I uninstalled the program and tried to install the free 30-day trial download from the Corel site with the same result.

I tried to contact the Chat support twice and got the message "Chat cancelled - no one available".

I have installed a lot of software on my computers over the past 30 years and seldom have been so disappointed. It's time to pack up the software and return it to Amazon and hope the next version will be better. I highly recommended you try the free trial software on your computer before you buy it.

Day Two:
I had budgeted several days to learn a new painting program and I was not willing to give up. I searched the Internet for other painting programs and I found Corel Painter Lite. This program was released in October 2012 without fanfare. I downloaded the software from the Corel Web Site and installed on my computer without a problem. I have 15 days to try it and then it will cost $69. Yes, that isn't a misprint, $69. My first attempt at using Corel Painter Lite has been very positive. This program appears to be designed for a beginner digital painter like myself. In fact, it may meet all my needs.

Day Three:
I hooked up my Wacom Bamboo Splash Pen Tablet (CTL471) and Corel Painter Lite failed to load. I checked several internet help sites. One comment suggested downloading updated drivers for the WACOM graphics tablet. I did this and Corel Painter Lite is running again.

Day Four:
With my recent success in finding the problem with Corel Painter Lite and installing the new drivers for my graphic tablet, I decided to revisit my failed attempts to get a satisfactory installation of Painter 12. Once again I downloaded the trial version of Painter 12 and installed it on my computer. Guess what? I got a normal installation and I'm enjoying the many new things I can do to a photo using Painter 12.

Summary:
I found that the Painter Lite is a basic painting program with few canvases, brushes and instructional videos. It also lacks tracing paper, cloning and auto-paint functions. If you want the maximum capability of transforming a photograph into a painting, you need Painter 12. I would have rated Painter 12 higher were it not for all the difficulty I experienced during installation.
on December 17, 2012
This is an excellent art and photography application that can give you just about anything you want, artistically and creatively speaking. It's like Photoshop on steroids, and if you're a user of Photoshop (which Painter works with and resembles in many respects), that's a good preamble to decide if you need something more. I probably didn't, but I used Painter years ago and remembered, fondly, how I could get bells and whistles that Photoshop didn't provide, plus an outstanding level of control. And today's Painter 12 is far more sophisticated than it used to be, and outstrips anything else out there in terms of its ability to help you turn out impressive illustrations and the like.
But not everybody needs steroids, and Painter's cost does include a learning curve -- especially if you're not familiar with Photoshop or similar programs. So the best thing to do is download a test of Painter to try before you buy.
on March 11, 2012
I have both Photoshop and Corel Painter 12. Corel Painter 12 is my favorite CG program. It is frat for sketching all the way to finishing a piece of CG art. I use it for many tasks creating CG art, cartooning, and drawing yonkoma manga in color. It is a very easy to use program. I love it and use it more than photoshop (I use photoshop for editing photos).

I use my version of Corel painter 12 on my iMac with a Wacom Intuos 4 medium tablet.

The interface is clear and not distracting and it feels closer to working with real media. It is easier to try new techniques with this software than with real media you can delete layers or undo which you can't do with real media.

For manga I only need one other software package Manga Studio which has everything I need for black and white manga - screen tones, word balloons and more.

With both Corel Painter 12 and Manga Studio EX4 I am able to do all of my manga and CG work without photoshop.

I love Corel Painter 12!
on November 24, 2015
I have been working with this software for a while now and it has everything I need to make great art on the computer! It can be a little glitchy at times, but it was worth every penny and despite all the new software out there, I am still working in it now and don't plan to upgrade for a very long time!
on July 20, 2013
This program is just amazing! INVEST in tutorials or something to learn the program and it makes using it and all its features 10x easier. I am still learning but I used Lynda.com and it is helping me learn the features. Not only do videos help, but it comes with a book,this nice cute book that also teaches you a few things about the program. I love it and think it is beautiful program. Plus the price on here is better than anywhere else! Came super fast in the mail.
on February 15, 2013
I used Adobe a lot in art school, but couldn't afford the $600 price of Adobe! I really enjoyed the numerous paint brushes and endless creations from this software. If you buy this product, buy Wacom's Intous tablet for better results. It's a little funky with the mouse and far accurate and way addictive with the pen and tablet. Endless possibilities for professional artists with the Corel Painter 12.
on January 8, 2013
It's a difficult program to use but once mastered, you can do ANYTHING. You'll never need traditional art supplies again.
on April 25, 2012
Right, so most people here have reviewed this already, so I'm not going to repeat what they said. Basically, Corel Painter 12's AMAZING. I'm not a professional, I'm a hobbyist but I've dabbled in quite a few programs and nothing comes close to Painter, not even Photoshop (which has its own advantages, so they can't be compared, really). The brush quality is brilliant, it emulates traditional media to near- perfection just like it claims to, and at the same time it's not overwhelming. User interface is very clear, explicit and tools and brushes are easy to get the hang of. Honestly it's the best painting software I've ever used.

The bugs are there, yes, like people have mentioned. At first the bigger brushes lagged, mirror mode also caused lagging, and a few times the program crashed altogether. BUT after downloading the patches on Corel's website, performance improved dramatically, and now I hardly ever notice any lag. No crash since, either. The only thing I wish I'd known before buying was the existence of an education edition. I'm a student, and like I said, and not a pro, so if you're not planning on using the software for commercial purposes and are in the education sector (teachers/ students), avoid spending money on the regular version, which is a lot more expensive.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's serious about digital painting. It works beautifully with Photoshop and a lot of other apps, and it's mainly what I use for about 70% of my art. For me, the bugs don't prevent it from getting 5 stars. If there was a 4 1/2 option I'd probably rate it that, though.
on May 28, 2015
Holy crap, this is the laggiest, most defunct program ever. it lags, it creates schmutz when you try to save, etc. DO NOT BUY!
on July 15, 2013
Jack of all trades and master of none, best describe me. Painter 12 is challenging and fun so I expect to master it before I die.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.