Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: CorelDRAW Home and Student Suite X6 - 3 Users
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: CD-ROM|Change

on December 28, 2012
I bought this at a Black Friday price of $50 and I'd say it's worth that. But, had I paid the regular price of $130, I'd be disappointed. Yes, Corel has a legitimate need to discourage unscrupulous customers from buying the home version and using it professionally so, I understand their removing features which are important to pros, like Prepress. But, Corel doesn't stop there. They cripple the Home version in what seems like a thousand ways.

I'll give just one example that really irritates me. With the full version, you can enlarge the tool icons and the menu fonts but, Corel killed that feature on the Home version. That's just seems petty to me, especially since the tiny defaults (and they are tiny) are probably more of a problem for retired hobbyists like me than for young working professionals.

It doesn't stop there, though. Lots of features are removed or crippled on the Home version. You keep discovering more and more as you learn the program. There's the same note at the end of each section of Help that points out that some features are missing in the Home version but, it doesn't tell you which ones. In many cases, you have to experiment to find out. How much trouble would it have been to tell you which features had been crippled?

Still, x6 has some cool new shape modifying tools that are a lot fun to play around with. If you buy the Home version, though, be prepared to be annoyed often as you get familiar with it.
66 comments| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2012
While the home and student version of Corel does a lot, it fails to have the same type capability to customize the work space as the full version does. One very exasperating thing about it is that you can not change the fact that the program treats all areas as filled even when it is not. This can be corrected in the full version by searching in the set-up section but can not be corrected in the home and student version. This is a major drawback to this version.
on January 19, 2013
I have used Corel Draw for Years ... professionally, but not so professionally anymore - so I got the home & student version thinking it would be the same, just for home use. It is NOT the same as the regular X6 version - they have purposefully restricted many nice and helpful features - for example, you cannot customize toolbars!! seriously?? That is SOOO annoying and not even called for. Who knows how many other basic useful features they've disable! I am throwing this version in the trash!
22 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2013
I purchased this because I am an experienced user of the suite, particularly Photopaint. Because I am not working at present, and wanted something to maintain my skills as well as to do some personal projects that I have been postponing for some time, I checked on the Corel website to learn the difference between this package and the far more expensive professional version.

From their website: "From a feature-set perspective, you get almost complete versions of CorelDRAW and Corel PHOTO-PAINT in the box. The biggest difference compared to CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 are that Home & Student Suite X6 does not include VBA / VSTA or Macro support, and some more advanced features a professional user would need are not available (such as PrePress, PreFlight, specific file formats such as CGM, advanced OpenType features, or color management options). Finally, the Home & Student version is not eligible for our Memberships offering, has reduced the amount of content on the disc and the printed Hard-cover book from Graphics Suite is not included (it is included in electronic format)." [The link I initially inserted here was edited out, but if you search the Corel website using the search phrase,"difference between coreldraw education and standard" you should be able to find and read the source of the quote.]

In fact, a number of very other useful features have been removed or crippled. One that is very handy for the less experienced user is Print Preview, which formerly allowed you to select what part of the image you printed out interactively. It also rendered images in a manner that more closely represented the printed sheet than the rather crude "preview" that is now presented when the print command is invoked. (It was even better than the "working screen" in this regard.)

Also, the brush selection has been scaled back, and other many useful tools such as Import are not available (grayed-out).

Now, I realize that this was done because they did not want to sell a program with the same capabilities for such a reduced price, and the program probably is well worth what they are charging. My issue is that they were not as transparent about what is and what is not included in the package. They have comparison charts comparing the features of the various versions (X3, X4, X5, etc.) and they should have the same for this.

I will keep the program, but I am less happy with Corel than I was in the past. Would I have bought it had I known all this? Probably not, but my needs may be more demanding than yours and I am spoiled by using the full-featured---although older--versions for years.

In summary, this is a nice program with may good features, but beware of looking at the description of the standard CorelDraw Suite and subtracting the features enumerated in the description provided by Corel. You will get much less. Apparently, the previous version actually did have all of the features minus the color separation (which relatively few home users would ever need, but pros would,) CGM, books, etc. I think I would trade my copy for it, even though it does not have some of the advances that attracted me to X6 in the first place. But if X6 Student Version meets your needs, keeping this in mind, I would recommend that you give it serious consideration. Limited as it is, it is still a good program.
on March 4, 2013
CorelDraw Home and Student version is a good product. I'm disappointed in the way that Corel didn't specify that it was only a 32 bit version only with no 64 bit support. If I had known that it was only 32 bit I would have purchased a different version. The Trail version that you can down load and test drive supports both 32 and 64 bit.
on April 18, 2013
I used CorelDraw X5 at work and was very happy with its capabilities. I have now retired and do some work at home for myself, it helps to pass the time. I cannot afford to buy the full version as I do not make any money out of owning it and the cost is way out of my price range. I have now found that there are some limitations to the Home and Student X6 which I consider to be essential to me. Basically I have wasted my money buying it. Obviously I must make do with what I have but it is very disappointing.
on May 31, 2013
It's been ten years since I updated my version of Corel (Graphics Suite 12) and I feared a nasty learning curve. It took me a long long time to get over the transition from Corel Draw 3! I was very happy and relieved that I was able to use the new version right out of the box, and I haven't yet discovered any important missing features I read about in the other reviews. This is probably because I have no need for the extensive prepress options I never learned how to use anyway. The tools I do use every day are easier to access than before, and the interface makes good sense to me. That's all I need.
on December 2, 2013
Color Manager is limited. Toolbars cannot be configured. Export tools do not work as in previous versions. Visual Basic for applications removed. Many options are removed. If you have previous version of Corel Draw use it, and save your money. I have spent too much time trying to do things that were very easy in previous versions of Corel.
on October 31, 2013
Although this is a home and student version, it is near useless for creating patterns for my home scrolling hobby. I would not recommend this item as they took too much capability out of it. You can not even open recent drawings, must use the open capability instead. I had a version of CorelDraw back in the late 90's the old 386 version is better than this one. I will look for some shareware or open source rather than be frustrated almost every time I go to use a feature only to find it is not available.
on November 20, 2014
End Users License Agreement (EULA) requires that you accept EULA of unspecified 3rd party software before installation can begin. This may and probably includes spyware, other software that may interfere with other software on your machine. In the past Corel Video Studio installed MS C++2005 Redistribution with file attribute which prevented it from being deleted or overwritten, This prevented Nero from installing. It will undoubtedly add undesirable entry's to the registry slowing start up and your machine.