Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 162 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 196 reviews
on July 8, 2015
The Corner was a great HBO series that set the tone for “The Wire” series to follow. The Corner is about the McCullough family's struggle to survive in inner-city of Baltimore. This true-life story is raw and gritty, but it's realistic to the lives of many people who are living in poverty even to this day. The Corner addresses the pattern of drug-abuse and how it can start with one family member or friend, and influence an entire community. This was true of the McCullough family who started off in middle-class neighborhood, living a good life. The father, Gary McCullough, is a smart man with a good heart, but makes the wrong choices. Fran McCullough wasn't sure how to adapt to a middle-class life, and her impulsive behavior clashes with Gary’s. The lack of common ground on family values and morals ultimately leads the McCullough's down a destructive path. The battle to avoid the corners is an ongoing battle for America's war on drugs, but for a few members of the McCullough family, all hope may not be lost.
VINE VOICEon June 8, 2009
The Corner is wonderful and I can't believe I hadn't seen this show before. I've been a fan of The Wire for years and watched all the seasons. I feel that The Corner is actually better than The Wire. The Corner takes place in Baltimore where a street corner is run by teenage men selling drugs. The adults seem to be drug addicts and hopeless most of the time and the younger set seem to be sellers and abusers. One family is unique. The parents had good jobs and the father had one year of college - amazing in these parts. The mother became an abuser and partier of cocaine and eventually the father took to herion. His explanation is that the people doing drugs around him including his wife were criticizing him and encouraging him to do it. He thought people would like him better if he abused drugs too. Unfortunately, they liked him less. A young girl at 13 has a baby. The young man doesn't go to school or work, he hangs on the corner. All this is based on real story and ring true. Some people survive, others don't but all still live in this area.
on January 10, 2011
The corner is a six part mini series based on the lives of a family and there friends in a large city. It shows how open air drug markets work in details. It show the way drug addiction effects inner city family's in many different view points. From the Addicts, from there children, from their friends, from the dealers, to those who are trying to get out from under the grip of their addictions. I use this video in all of the groups I work with as part of a rehab clinic. It is my personal favorite and I think the clients get a lot out of this mini series. I've seen reaction from all my clients to the things that they see in this film. They take it to heart because they can relate to at least some aspects of this film if not all of it, If you are working in the field of Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation this is the go to video for you. Granted there are video's out there that may contain more information in a boring style that loses the attention of your clients within the first few minutes. No other video is going to grab your clients and have them paying attention to what they are watching and actually learning from it and can't wait to see the next part of the series. It is a very easy film to process after also. I have never shown this video and had a dead conversation after. Every time and every part of the series leads to a full on discussion that brings in even the least talkative clients. You will not be disappointed with this purchase.
on September 1, 2016
Top notch acting from beginning to end reminds me of my childhood years growing up in the city of angels my favorite place to hang out with friends was crenshaw blvd!! I remember the old maverick flats nightclub etc.my old friend Jeffrey Daniel from the group shalamar was often at maverick flats back in the day.this miniseries is my favorite go to DVD to reflect back on my humble beginnings in los Angeles I am thankful for my blessings in loving memory of both my parents.
on February 12, 2017
Strong perfomances with real to life storytelling.
on April 25, 2013
This movie was on time in many ways. It does away with any myths you may have related to drug abuse. There is a corner in every city as Gary said of his failure when taken out of Baltimore, "there was a corner in Fayetteville too". My son has struggled with drug abuse for years since he was 17, he is 45 now and it's still a struggle. When he is happy with life he does very well; if someone or something hurts him such as his estranged wife; drugs are the comfort that he seeks. I do thank God that neither of my girls got on drugs, some how it's always worse with girls because of the things that they will stoop to to get money for the drugs. So we continue to struggle with my son and pray to God for a healing soon, God is in full control. The corner is an exceptional movie of life in the hood.
on February 23, 2009
There is not one young person in this country who would not be penetrated straight throught the heart into the gut by this masterpeice of reality!
Having come so very close to this horror in Baltimore 30 years ago...actually walked over dead bodies to get into the house I was visiting...this now exists in probably every community in this country.
Watch this, knowing that the reason this is way beyond help at this point is for one reason...the local police departments!
on January 13, 2006
I always look to HBO to deliver the finest in TV drama. Sometimes HBO misses, but most of the time, they are right on the money.

When "The Corner" debuted a few years ago, it came around with little fan fair, so much so, I only discovered it by channel surfing one day (A real crime, if you asked me). But once I started watching, I could not stop. As the series came to an end, I eagerly awaited for all the awards shows to herald this monumental piece of work. There is no doubt that Charles S. Dutton deserved his Emmy. T.K. Carter and Khandi Alexander should have been received theirs too. The whole cast was on point. They all deserved praise. And Toy Connor (played DeAndre's girlfriend), well, all I can say is you blew me away...

Since BET is now carrying the series, my interest in the series has been sparked. So instead of watching it with commercial interuptions and blotted out scenes, I decided to purchase the DVD and share it with my teenage son.

Every now and then a movie/series comes along that rocks your very foundation with it's truth, validity and raw beauty. Well "The Corner" is one of those. It has spawned one of the best acclaimed series on HBO "The Wire" (another of my favorites). Bravo Mr. Dutton, Ms. ALexander and Mr. Carter. Bravo...
on July 11, 2016
Have you not seen this? Then you are missing out of the inner workings of a slice of American. The Corner came before The Wire and is based on REAL people, some still living, some now dead. I continue to watch it on an infrequent basis even after all these years. It's heartbreaking, but hopeful. Most of all, it's real!
on September 6, 2013
I use this video to help teens see the destruction of relationships, values, and personal characteristics can change as drugs become even more present in ones life. The movie does have strong language and drug use present. Most of it is nothing new to the youth I work with. More often then not the family relationships that play out in the movie are real life to them. It gives a point of reality to work from and honesty to how one can get lost in the world of drugs and give up on dreams. In the last episode it also gives hope for those who keep fighting back to get out of the reach of drugs, culture , and destructions.