Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 39 reviews
on March 3, 2017
Amazing read about legacy and personal responsibility. Book was nicely packaged with no damages.
on April 1, 2017
this book was required for one of my college classes.
on December 2, 2014
It is an interesting read. It is an easy read. I wanted to continue reading, which is a good sign for a book. I personally didn't like the writing style and the colloquialisms, although I understand the choice of writing style. It was hindering me, because I was constantly "correcting" the spelling and the grammar. Mind you, I am not American and was taught English as a foreign language.

The themes in the book are interesting. A Portuguese slave owner was the father of three generations of daughters. The daughter of the fourth generation, Ursa, who is also the main character of the book, is trying to come to terms with the past of her mother, grand mother and great grand mother. She can't love or trust anybody. There are several male characters in the book who play a role in helping her understand who she is. The book is laced with flashbacks to the history of her family which will help you understand her current life. There is plenty of sexual narrative in the book. Besides love, there is the theme of skin color. At the end, she comes to terms with her history and herself, although I didn't like the end of the book.
on July 23, 2016
I read G. Jones second book, Eva's Man, first and was prepared to find this one difficult to read. It wasn't. The story flowed until she brought in the backstory which was too long too me. The ending left my mind blank, yet I was happy to have read book entirely.
on August 16, 2016
Good books inform you.Superior Books entertain you.A great book is a book that changes lives.so in my opinion, this is a great book.please pick up a copy it's very deletable short and a punch in your heart. I still thinking about Ursa.🔰🔰🔰🔰🔰
This was a very interesting book from start to finish. It tells the story of Ursa and the evidence she was meant to pass on from her mother grandmother and great gram who were slaves..sex slaves at that. Anyway, I agree that the book was complex and short, I wish there would've been more. The explicit language and sex scenes aren't for everyone. Overall very good book.
on January 26, 2013
I had to read this for a Southern Literature class. It was the easiest read but also one of the most disturbing. Jones has an interesting way of tying past and present into a narrative that resonates within many different readerships. The book itself came exactly as decribed and I saved a bunch of money buying on Amazon.
on February 24, 2013
There are so many layers to Jones' writing, I'm going to have to re-read this soon, and not for class.
on April 28, 2016
I had to read this for a literature class and it was a bit too crass and vulgar in parts for me, otherwise the tonality of the story isn't bad. Brings to life the horrendous doings of former Brazilian slave owners.
on July 24, 2016
Intimate storytelling that wraps you in the blues. Explores the troubling issues of slavery, colonialism, abuse ... a side of America many would rather not acknowledge.