Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Corsair CX Series, CX430M, 430 Watt (430W), Semi Modular Power Supply, 80+ Bronze Certified
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

on October 12, 2012
When it comes to Power Supplies, never be stingy and spend a good amount on a solid one. Corsair is one of the most well known PSU companies and their supplies are up top in terms of qualities and specs. When it comes to buying a power supply it is important to remember that two things are needed:
1. Enough watts, look up the total watts of everything you own and buy a power supply that is at least 100w more so as to give you enough headroom for upgrades or overclocking if thats your cookie.
2. Enough Amperage. This is veryyy important. The +12v rail is whats important as most modern cards require a minimum of 25A on a single rail. Dual rails are also nice if they are each at 25. For example, my XFX DD Black edition Radeon HD 7970 will not run on my old psu. It was a solid Rosewill 600w psu which had more than enough watts to run it, however, the thing maxed at 35A on both rails together. The minimum needed for the card was 36. This PSU, has 750w and the following ratings on each charge: +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@62A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A.
+12v@62A is excellent for the card now. This also gives me headroom if any future parts require more Amperage or watts. The price is seriously perfect here on Amazon. The power supply retails for 100 bucks on other sites.

PROS:
-Great price
-pci express power at 62A (+12v)
-sleeved components with the cables reaching full tower( they arent short cables so it works on an NZXT Phantom and an Antec twelve hundred tower.) Both of which are full towers.
-active APF correction
-80 plus bronze (Not found often at this price point level with this amount of watts)
-750W (More than enough for sli gtx 660's) or in my case, still more than enough for my xfx overclocked 7970, 9 fans, 2 hard drives, fan controller, card reader, blu ray drive, dvd burner, 8gb ram, overclocked cpu and bigger more powerful cpu fan.
-power protection
-a nice big fan

CONS:
-its not modular, but at this price, who cares?aha.
EDIT: OCTOBER 11th 2012-The first one arrived with a definite loud buzzing so I had to exchange it. It happens with mass electronics and typically just bad luck. Corsair was good about it and the new unit was perfect.

DO NOT get stingy when it comes to power supplies. If a 850w power supply is selling for 50 dollars from a random company, you will put your other parts at risk. This one offers Over-voltage and over-power protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components.

It is also rated at 80 plus BRONZE. Which is excellent for the price. At this price range you mainly see psu's with just 80 plus certification. This one is one step higher.

Lastly, the card offers 0.99 Active Power Factor Correction provides clean and reliable power. (APF) for short. Another thing that is not found at this price range.

Top this with a 3 year warranty and bam, solid computer.
Don't let a cheap power supply kill your whole system, with this excellent brand, only the power supply will die if it eventually happens. A cheap psu will more than likely take it, along with all your expensive components.
For reference, here are my specs>
-Processor: intel ivy bridge i5 3570k @3.5ghz
-CPU Cooler, at the moment: standard intel one. getting: thermal take frio OCK
-Video Card: XFX Double D Radeon HD 7970
-Memory: 8gb Patriot intel extreme series ram @1600
-Hard Drive: 500gb Seagate drive
-Case: Thermaltake Msi Snow edition mid tower
-Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX 750 Watt
-Fans: 4x Coolermaster 120mm fans
-Motherboard: AsRock Pro 4 H77 mATX

FOLLOW UP EDIT December 2nd 2013: ***Sorry for the wrong date here. I meant December 2nd****
The power supply is still going very strong. The system it is now powering involves additional lights, watercooling, another drive, and a max overclock on the card. The cable sleeving on the 24 pin board power has become rigid and a ripping in areas. However, with a few cable ties it isn't so bad.
3535 comments| 217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2013
I originally purchased the Corsair GS 700. They bill that model as a gaming PSU. Once installed, the PSU made a chirping noise (like a hard drive read/writing, but at a higher pitch). After searching youtube and reading more on the Corsair forums, I found this was a widespread "issue" with the GS 700. The GS model "features" a "smart" fan, which only runs when the load/temperature demands it. What I found is the fan was confused if it should run or not (attempting to kick on, chirping noise, kicking on and it running fine, then back to attempting to kick on and chirping).

When asking about this on Corsair's forums, they recommended an RMA for the same unit. Based on the many youtube videos documenting this noise and the numerous posts around this, I simply returned my unit to Best Buy for a full refund.

In looking into the Corsair models more, the CX is a lower model PSU. Anything above the CX model has the "smart" fan, which I did not want. This led me to this model.

- Great power supply
- Features a constantly running fan (at variable speeds depending on load/temp)
- Modular cabling, which allows for clean cable runs and reduces unneeded wires
- Low noise even with fan constantly running, even at higher loads/temps

While they tout the "smart" fan as a feature, for a gaming rig, I look at it as a drawback. The more airflow, the better.

I have been impressed with CX series and have not had any issues with the PSU. It is structually sound and appears solidly built. Highly recommend this unit to anyone looking for more power in their PC.

My rig:
Dell XPS 8100
Intel i7
16 GB RAM
250 GB Samsung SSD
3 TB Seagate HD
2 DVD/CD-ROMs
nVidia GTX 660 Ti (requires dual PCIe power adapters)
Dell 23" LED Monitor (DVI)
Sony Bravia 32" LCD TV (HDMI)
33 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2012
This is a great deal for an 80 Plus Bronze certified 500W power supply. If you are running any machines 24/7 on power supplies that aren't 80 Plus certified, let alone Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum, there are a good amount of power savings to be had. For the layman, anything labelled 80 Plus certified means it is 80% efficient at 20,50 and 100% loads. Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum are even more efficient, respectively.

I had thought that I had tuned my file/media server/video encoder to be pretty energy efficient. It consisted of an i5 2500k, 16GB DDR3, no video card, 5 WD Green drives, 3 WD Black drives, one SSD, two internal PCIE SATA 3 extenders, and a BD-R drive, running Win 7 Professional 64. It consumed about 62 Watts at idle, and 73-80 Watts under moderate load, when streaming or transcoding high bitrate 1080p video. Not bad, and about the same as leaving a single incandescent lightbulb on. All of this was powered by a several year old sturdy Thermaltake Purepower 500 (W0100RU). The old power supply was not 80 Plus certified.

I got this Corsair 500W 80 Plus Bronze power supply because the price is fantastic at around fifty dollars, and the old power supply was getting loud. I wasn't expecting phenomenal power savings, but according to my UPS wattage reading, this power supply is kicking butt! My file server now idles around 40W and operates at 56-63W under moderate load. These are big, big savings. I had no idea my old power supply was so energy inefficient. Considering the higher electricity cost in Southern California, this power supply will save me about $4 each month, possibly more if it helps prevent me from crossing into higher Tier level payments. It will pay itself off in savings within a year, and after that, will start providing me with some real savings. $4 a month in savings may not sound like much, but in a tight economy, every bit helps. On top of the power savings, this power supply is also whisper quiet.

Due to the high savings I experienced, and out of curiousity, I ordered a 400W FSP Aurum 80 Plus Gold power supply ($76), to see how much more efficient a Gold certified PSU is in relation to Bronze. Statistically, the difference should be minimal, and I have a feeling this Corsair will prove to be the highest value, in terms of cost:savings. Updates to be posted accordingly.

UPDATE 10/20/2012:

I've put this PSU up against a slightly more expensive, lower wattage, but more efficient FSP AURUM GOLD 400-Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3 i5 i7 AU-400 to compare the efficiency ratings of Bronze and Gold.

The FSP Aurum 400 80 Plus Gold came in the mail today and here are the results:
On my system, as detailed above, it idles at 32W, operates around 60W under moderate load. Very, very nice. These results are a bit better than the Corsair, as expected, but I'm going to have to stick with the Corsair as the best value proposition-- My reason being-- the Corsair is a 500 Watt power supply and supplies 38 Amps on a single 12v rail. The FSP Aurum is a 400 Watt power supply and supplies 18 Amps on a single 12v rail, but has two 12v rails for a combined 36 Amps. The Corsair CX500 is useful for a wider variety of computer uses, as the single 12v rail providing 38A meets the minimum requirements of most of today's higher end video cards, while also having great efficiency for lower power 24/7 machines like video servers. The FSP Aurum has up to 36A, but it's split into two 12v rails, and not all video cards have two plugs for power. This, along with the 400W rating mean that it is not suitable for higher end gaming computers. The Corsair's higher Wattage rating means it has a bit more headroom for high end/high power CPU+GPU combos. The price differential, for me at least, means that it would take about half a year longer to recoup the extra cost of the 80 Plus Certified Gold on the Aurum, compared with the Corsair. At the CX500's price point, it is definitely the best bang for the buck, particularly if you are coming from a PSU that isn't 80 Plus, and the machine is on 24/7.
77 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2014
Specs:
AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHz (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9)
Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/DP OC Version PCI-Express Graphics Card
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DM001

bought this for a new build. ASUS Recommended Power Supply Wattage Calculator tells me that I'll need a 600W PSU. Decided to get 750W just to be safe.

Well, this worked for about 10 hours. went to get a drink of water. came back and my computer was off. pressed the power button and fans spun for a half second. pressed the power button again and nothing. i had to shut the power supply off and on and press the power button again to make my chassis and cpu fans spin for another half second.

I thought it was my board or cpu. the board LED light was on. took my power supply to a local computer repair shop and was telling me that there was no way this power supply failed. he tested it, and then he told me that it failed.

Exchanging it for another one. Thanks amazon. hopefully I have better luck this time. Will update this review once I start using the replacement.

UPDATE Feb 5, 2015
The replacement unit that Amazon had sent has worked absolutely flawlessly. went from 1 star to 5 stars. I guess I just some bad luck with the first unit that I received. Again, thank you, Amazon, for your generous and quick replacement policy
44 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2013
Excellent PSU. The right amount of power without overdoing it. Lots of connectors with a lot of options for the mobo connector or the PCIE video connectors...yes there are two of them for the higher end GPU's. Nice metal case with great ventilation and a strong but quiet fan. Have made this PSU the de facto standard for all my computer builds. Highly recommend.
on March 12, 2015
The fan in the PSU I received was noisy and appeared to stall then race. Before opening the case, I thought the CPU cooler was trying to catch-up to temperature increases. I opened a customer service ticket with Corsair expecting instructions for a return under warranty. Instead, Corsair directed me to Amazon. Since Amazon cannot verify a defect of this kind, I continued to try to interact with Corsair. Over a period of about 10 days, Corsair did not commit to honor the warranty and provide instructions for a return. Frustrated and needing the computer involved, I order an exact replacement from Amazon.com at my expense. And the replacement was defective, with severe damage to the PSU chassis that prevented correct mounting. Eventually, I cannibalized the fan from the second unit and installed it in the first, which now appears to be working properly. At $62, the replacement fan for the first PSU was indeed expensive.

The photos show damage to the chassis of the second PSU I purchased. I made the photo while extracting the fan to repair the first PSU.

Actually, I have enjoyed good quality and reliability in a number of Corsair power supplies as well as other parts. I was shocked at the Company's dismal warranty service. The only thing I expect when I request warranty service is immediate guidance on how to return the defective part. Not a dialog about options with the seller or anything else for that matter.

Quality and performance aside, I consider poor warranty service always a signal that a manufacturer has serious problems. With regrets, I am searching for alternatives to Corsair parts.
review image
1111 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2012
Upgraded my graphics card to a new one (GTX 660) and needed to upgrade my power supply as well. This seemed like a well rated, well priced appropriate option, so I bought it. Was easy enough to install, runs quietly and effectively, has lots of extra hookups to handle whatever I might have in my system.
Only complaint, which is really more a lack of foresight on my part, is that there were no actual instructions in the box. The one thing that would have been super handy to know is that if you have a 4 prong ATX12V motherboard plug, you have to take the 8 prong plug this comes with and split it in half. They clearly explain this on their website, but that is harder to access with your power supply out and halfway replaced :). Otherwise, great product, great value.
on July 16, 2013
Very easy to install and supplies more than enough power for my rig (i5-3570k and GTX 660 OC 2GB). Well worth the extra bucks for modular components.
on March 13, 2014
Most of the power supplies are under powered, as I learnt from extensive online research. After my old PS would power down, power button would do NOTHING. Ordered this baby, and voila, this unit is more than capable of handling the system. To give some perspective, my old PS was abt 350W max, and barely on the borderline to power the unit (Actually no additional components were added since original purchase)...This new unit is 600W, and very easily capable of handling the load. Highly recommend!!
on December 10, 2014
In my 20 year IT career, I have been dealing with Corsair for 14 years. And as a professional builder, I promise you cannot get a better PSU for less money. For newbies, I wish to explain what the 80 Plus certification means; quiet operation, more useable wattage and less heat. Fact: Efficiency of a PSU is something cheap OEMs NEVER talk about. For example, you can buy a cheap PSU that has a rating of 600 watts, but in reality will not put out more than 350 watts. The cheap PSU will eat more electricity from the wall, but it will lose this wattage in the form of heat. Hence, this is what the industry means by 'efficiency.' Keep in mind that Corsair's product are first rate (love their RAM, too) and their warranty is incredible (in the rare event you ever have an issue, they are easy to contact and deal with.) Finally, if you are building a system without a HIGH END video card, this wattage is more then enough. However, if your video cards requires additional power connectors, the wattage draw can rise significantly. Example for Newbies: I build systems with dual video cards and a solid state hard drive and burner and this CX-430 is way over the needed power consumption (which is about 200 watts at top use) Again, if you have higher end video cards, look up the max power consumption in the card's specifications.