Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 981 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,031 reviews
on November 3, 2012
After confirming the specs on Apple's support website, I ordered this RAM for my late 2012 Mac mini. Installation was a breeze--flip the mini over, and turn the bottom panel counterclockwise an inch, remove the panel to expose the RAM slots. Pop out the old RAM then snap in the new RAM. Replace the bottom cover and twist it clockwise back into place. It couldn't have been easier.

Considering that Apple wants $300 for 16 gigs of RAM (as opposed to nothing extra for 4 gigs), this is a great bargain.
0Comment| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2012
Corsair has always been one of my go-to's for memory, and so far they've never let me down, this product included. I just purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad T430. The machine defaults with 4GB of RAM, and in order to upgrade to 16GB from Lenovo was over $800, which is obviously a huge profit center for them. So I ordered it with the default 4GB of RAM, and then ordered this Corsair kit for $120. It's a great deal. This is full speed 1600mhz DDR3. Mine was a perfectly matched set, the serial numbers were 1 apart so you know they were made at the same time and share the same nuances that will allow them to work well in Dual Channel. I've run multiple memory tests and stress tests on the machine overall and had absolutely zero problems. Having 16GB on my new laptop is really quite astounding, paired with a Core i7 and I'm able to run virtual machines effortlessly with no concern for memory.

One little caveat for ThinkPad users, and this has absolutely nothing to do with the memory but I thought worth mentioning: If you're replacing both modules on a ThinkPad, one of them is under the keyboard, while the other is exposed through a hatch on the underside. It's not difficult to replace but should be done with care, be sure to follow the Lenovo service manual so you know which parts to remove in what order to gain access to the DIMM slot.

Also worth noting is I was able to take the original 4GB DIMM that came with my laptop and place it in another to upgrade that system to 8GB, which would not have been possible if I bought the more expensive upgrade from Lenovo originally.
33 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2013
Some buyers have expressed concern after buying this RAM and installing it in their iMacs (27" Ivy Bridge model, late 2012).
That iMac is specced for DDR3 1600 RAM, and ships with RAM like that, but after you install this Corsair RAM your iMac will show that it is running aRAM at 1333 MHz, not 1600. So:

(a) The reason this is happening is that DRAM is (to simplify things tremendously) described by two parameters. One is bandwidth (essentially how much data it can transfer per second), the other is latency (how long does it take to set things up before that data starts being transferred).

(b) Your APPLE RAM in the iMac has a bandwidth of 1600MHz and a latency (CAS) of 11 cycles.
The Corsair RAM has a bandwidth of 1600MHz and a latency (CAS) of 10 cycles.

(c) Given that the two sets of RAM do not have identical specs, how should the memory controller configure things for optimal performance? The timings have to be identical for both sets of RAM, meaning they have to run with identical bandwidth and identical CAS.

(d) The CORRECT solution in this case would be to run both at 1600MHz and CAS of 11. However the solution chosen by the memory controller (I am guessing this is handled automatically by Ivy Bridge, not by Apple firmware, but I honestly have no idea) is to retain a CAS of 10, and drop the bandwidth to 1333, which is slow enough that the Apple RAM can run at a CAS of 10 rather than 11.
This is not a completely crazy solution. For most purposes, latency is more relevant to performance than bandwidth, so if you are faced with having to choose one over the other, you should choose to drop bandwidth while preserving latency. It's just unfortunate than in this case the algorithm (which, remember, has to work for the possibility of people plugging in four RAM DIMMs, possibly all from different manufacturers, with different bandwidths and latencies) chooses a solution that is slightly sub-optimal compared to the best possible solution.

(e) Does it actually matter? Short answer: no. Neither Apple nor Corsair have lied to you about their RAM, and as a practical matter the difference in performance between CAS 10 and CAS 11 ram, or between running at 1600 vs 1333 is negligible (like 1%). Yes, you can undoubtedly craft some benchmark which is sensitive to the issue and which magnifies the problem, but for any real app it just doesn't matter.
If you are so obsessive that you cannot stand this, if you buy a second batch of Corsair 16GB RAM and replace the Apple RAM, you will get back to 1600MHz, now at CAS 10 rather than CAS 11. But you honestly won't notice any performance difference.

Bottom lines:
- The extra RAM is nice --- it means paging on my iMac moves from being a rare occurrence to a non-existent occurrence, and allows that much more file system data to be stored in RAM;
- iMac will show the speed of your combined system (if you bought only two sticks, not four) as 1333 MHz, not 1600;
- There is no reason to be upset or worried about this. It does not mean anyone cheated you or that your system is running slower than it otherwise would.
1111 comments| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2016
Mac Mini 2010 DDR1600/PC12800@1.5v/CAS 10-10-10-27 did not work. Tried every combination with original OEM 1GB stick combination, different slots, never worked. NOTE Crucial DDR1333/PC10600@1.5v/CAS 9 8Gb (2x4Gb) WORKED! But other brands like Samsung, SK, Hynix, Nanya DDR1333 1.5v/CAS 9 did NOT work!! Some believe it may be a voltage issue, some believe it is a latency timing issue, others feel that it may be a size/frequency combination.

DDR1066/PC8500 with CAS 7 is the most compatible with Mac Mini 2010 with Intel Core 2 Duo. I believe a lot of people that indicate success mix up the numbers 1066, 10600, and 1600. So all the comments about DDR1333/PC10600 or DDR1600 you read online are suspect. I got lucky with my Crucial DDR1333PC10600/CAS 9-? 4Gb sticks, Your mileage may vary, My Samsung 1333/CAS 9-9-9-24 sticks did NOT work, really wished the Samsung worked. I dug up one post that indicated the DDR1066/PC8500 appeared as CAS 7-7-7-20.

I think that there is a backwards compatibility timing issue with certain 1333/CAS 9 sticks, there are other timings involved so NOT all CAS 9 sticks are equal! So while faster sticks are backwards compatible, when the speed is "down shifted" the new CAS or other timing may not be compatible. It may be the other latency timing that are the issue. But trying to get full specifications today is like pulling teeth. Old school memory used to show all latency timings in a format such as A-B-C-D as an example. I do not know what my original OEM or working Crucial CT2KIT5126'4BC1339 sticks are at this moment.

(Bleeping Computers has a great article.. bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/identifying-and-upgrading-ram/)

The first number is CL, the CAS Latency. This value has the most effect on system performance.
The second number is TRCD, the RAS to CAS delay. Not as critical as CL.
The third number is TRP, the RAS Precharge delay. This value has similar effects to TRCD.
The fourth number is TRAS, the Active to Precharge delay. This value affects stability more than performance.

And there are even more advance timings at play (Command rate, etc.). Other variables may include onboard video shared memory require strict requirements.
on December 10, 2016
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Bought this for my Grandson's girlfirends New MacbookPro, installed did not work. Tried in my iMac which uses the same spec memory and it did not work. Same specs and speed as original ram but fails to boot in either mac with memory error. Tried reseating in both macs to no avail. Since I bought this ram in October along with the new Macbook Pro for her graduation gift yesterday, 09 December, did not realize could not return it. So, not a happy camper, but that is my fault for not looking at the return policy. Never had a problem before with Corsair Ram. But I reordered more ram Crucial this time.
on January 8, 2013
I installed two sets (4 sticks, 32 GB total) in my late 2012 27" iMac and they are working great. About this Mac shows it as 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

GeekBench reports memory performance of 7782 and stream of 7718 (best of 2 tests). Overall score of 13070. This appears to be slightly higher than the average memory speed scores as you would expect going from the standard CL11 to CL10 RAM.

I had trouble the first time I attempted to install the RAM. The Mac beeped repeatedly instead of playing the startup sound. I removed all the RAM and swapped around the sticks a pair at a time and was able to start up normally with first 16 and then 32 GB. This problem was probably user error and not any issue with the memory itself. If this happens to you, don't panic. Just install the RAM a pair at a time until you get it all working.

When I opened the Mac's memory panel (there is a small button to press above the power socket) I saw that there were two memory 4 GB memory sticks installed in the first and third slots counting from the bottom. I used this same configuration when I installed the new RAM. The first two sticks when in the first and third slots and the second pair went into the second and fourth slots. There is a handy diagram on the back of the RAM cover that pops off to show you how to remove and install the RAM sticks. Make sure you press down each stick until it is fully seated.

This is a lot of text to say that the RAM installation was easy and once it is done there seem to be no problems using it. I can now run Parallels 8 with 16 GB while another 16 GB is available to the Mac OS.
VINE VOICEon March 24, 2015
Review: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz Laptop Memory
Significantly Improved my Mac mini (Late 2012)

I want to thank those reviewers that stated this memory works Late 2012 Mac Mini’s. On that advice I upgraded my Mini from 4 to 16 GB.

I have not done any precise timing measurements, however the system performance seems to have improved considerably. In general apps start up faster, I can have many apps open at the same time, and switching between them is instantaneous. The system also boots up a bit faster as well.

Before this upgrade I was also considering adding a solid state hard drive. I am happy to report that I no longer feel a pressing need to do so. Perhaps due to disk caching, the original 5200 RPM hard drive seems to perform quite nicely now.

As a final comparison, I was recently in an Apple store, and had the opportunity to play with a current model Mac Book Pro with 8GB RAM, and solid state hard drive. I was surprised to find that it did not feel much faster than my 2 yr old Mini with 16GB does now. While I’m sure in dedicated benchmark tests it would be far superior to my Mini, for the things I do it just wasn’t noticeable. Of course this is entirely subjective, and I am certainly biased (I love my Mini), so take this comparison with a grain of salt.

I hope this helps other Mini owners with their memory upgrade decisions.

Details of my mini, from system report - About This Mac:
Mac Mini (Late 2012)
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory Installed: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10)
on April 17, 2017
I used a new SSD hard drive and this 16GB memory kit to transform a medium performing Dell Inspiron Intel i7 (first generation) to a blazing fast top performer! I was hesitant at first because the Dell website says the maximum memory was 8GB. But I researched the processor to confirm the compatibility and found that the processor actually supports up to 32GB. Installation was easy on this model and I first booted to bios and confirmed the new amount of memory. After that, Windows 7 pro 64-Bit started up so fast that it couldn't play the whole startup sound and now plays only a portion of the sound. There were no issues at all and all my apps and navigation enjoyed a huge speed increase. As long as your processor (and OS) is compatible with this amount of memory, you'll have no issues and enjoy the speed increase. Add an SSD hard drive to this memory and you'll think you have a brand new computer!
on August 18, 2012
It was quick and simple to replace the pre-installed RAM for my Lenovo ThinkPad T430s. I purchased the laptop with pre-installed 4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (1 DIMM). A factory configured 16 GB (2 DIMM) of RAM would have cost me over $1000 more.

The Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 1600 (2 DIMM) from Amazon saved me $900.

Performace after the upgrade has been appreciably snappy. Highly recommended for Lenovo ThinkPad users.
on June 3, 2017
I upgraded my HP Envy 17-3290nr's stock 8GB's of RAM with this 16GB RAM upgrade and WOW, what a performance increase!! The laptop is flying and is snappier on all executions with this upgrade. This RAM is ALL it claims to be and works better than anticipated. So, if your looking to upgrade your stock RAM to a level of performance you will notice, look NO further!!