Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(4 star). See all 64 reviews
on September 3, 2008
Cosmic Motors offers a new perspective on futuristic racing machines by blending the form factors of things like WWII bombers and F1 racers with Simon's creativity to bring you some of the slickest vehicles around. Daniel Simon also provides a context for his vehicles with dashes of story throughout the book. The book contains several pages of tightly rendered sepia sketches as well as many extremely crisp 3D renderings that show off some seriously insane attention to detail. A lot of the 3D renders contain composited pilots or sexy babes posing by the vehicles to show off scale and maybe a little leg.

Overall the book is a nice addition to any concept-book lover's library. I only have two little complaints about this book: 1. I wish there were more loose sketches to paw through and 2. sometimes the composited pilots are so "earth-like" that they contrast oddly against the futuristic vehicles from another galaxy, but that contrast may have been intended.
on April 23, 2009
7 years into pursuing my craft I generally don't buy books by other artists. It's mainly so that my work won't be influenced by anyone else, but when I came across Daniel Simon's work and website, my jaw dropped. Yep, anyone can be an automotive designer, but Daniel does it with style and attitude. This is one of those books that you don't want to end. It doesn't really have any wire or clay renders, but then would you want your work to look like someone else's? His work is tight. This is not a "How-to" book, but more like a "This is my stuff..." And I'm fine with that. It's transportation design at it's extreme. I hope we see a part 2. Great job Daniel.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on March 17, 2010
There is one major thing missing from this book.

Every page is beautifully laid out... the images are perfectly composed with lighting and detail that will astound.

The author is a world class illustrator, but what is missing are the nuances of functional design. The designs themselves are striving to be unique from the work of other concept artists, but sadly are not unique from themselves in a collection that feels somewhat repetitive. The designs feel almost arbitrary, lacking the functional appeal that is necessary for hardware illustration. Sorayama, McQuarrie, McCall, Johnston, Mead even Berkey seem to have attained the critical mass of functional feel that is lacking from the stunning illustrations in Cosmic Motors. The shapes seem without purpose of any kind, and for me, fail to inspire. While drawn to the beauty and skill of the composition, I am not drawn to the machines themselves.

Hopefully the author will find the key to bringing a functional presence in future designs, developing the critical eye of an engineer or industrial designer.
on July 23, 2013
Author/artist is very talented. Maybe wished for a little more variety of machines but what's there is pretty awesome. Recommended.
on April 24, 2015
good quality.
on May 7, 2008
This is a great book for anyone looking for inspiration in the creative design field. The renderings were out of this world. I hope to see some of these creations in sci-fi movies in the future. I know the car on the cover is being used in a comercial for Autodesk "Digital Prototyping"
on July 17, 2014
Beautiful and interesting. Pages fell out on first read
on May 26, 2013
the book was just packed with the standard cardboard wrap without plastic wrap, which is odd.
overall is quite good.
on October 7, 2012
Sumptuous images, obviously a very talent artist. Would liked if he had written more about his process rather that the b grade fiction.
on December 12, 2010
I came across this book after reading a FastCompany interview with Darren Gilford, the designer for the 2010 movie "Tron: Legacy". Daniel Simon, the artist of "Cosmic Motors" have been chosen to design the new version "Light Cycles" for the movie, after Darren Gilford and director Joe Kosinki saw a copy of Cosmic Motors.

Darren says: "Joe and I found this book called Cosmic Motors from this new conceptual artist, Daniel Simon, this automotive designer who was the first guy I've ever seen that was conceptualizing in 3-D. He is an incredible 3-D artist. We reached out and made a commitment that we wanted him to work on this movie. I would say I got the Light Cycle 60% of the way there, but I can't take credit - it was Daniel's final design. His sense of styling and automotive history and detail really brought this design to fruition. I would say Daniel's design is probably one of the most iconic vehicles ever brought to screen."

You can see Daniel's completed work on "Tron: Legacy" on The Art of Tron: Legacy

I immediately went and purchased the book and i must say i am thoroughly impressed with Daniel's vision and art.

Although the 1st edition of the hardcover version is sold out, there are some extremely expensive copies available. This paperback version makes a great coffee table book, which instantly brings back memories of all the iconic vehicles of the movies like the DeLorean from Back To The Future, Audi RSQ from i-Robot, Lexus 2054 from Minority Report and Cadillac Cien from The Island.

I gave this book 4 stars, because (as some other reviewers before me correctly mentioned) the binding of this paperback edition is not of top quality. But Daniel's art most definitely is.
3 helpful votes