BCA Month Salon Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 1, 2013
I have waited to review this item until I could fully field test it. I think very highly of this vest. I am a geology student and rock hound and as consequence I climb around a lot as I hike. Previously I just used a strap and was always fearful I would damage my Canon Mark II 5D. I needed something that would keep my camera secure and since I carry a backpack with rock hammer at my hip, a waist holder was out of the question.
I was initially a little skeptical about the cost and was worried about getting my monies worth. Not anymore. This is money well spent, especially if you have an expensive camera.
The cotton carrier keeps the camera nice and secure with no swing, even with a big lens like the 100-400 mm zoom attached. Granted the bigger the lens the more the chest piece pushes into your upper abdomen, but with a smaller lens the pressure is negligible. I found that by clipping my chest strap on my backpack across the upper part of the carrier it helps.
Bottom line, no matter how much climbing around I do, my camera is secure and safe unless I do a faceplant.
Another great feature is the one hand release. With my right hand I can easily turn the camera 90 deg to the left and lift the camera effortlessly out of the carrier and it slides back in just as easily.
The mesh back fits comfortably under a backpack and helps in the 100+ degree weather of the southwest. All adjustments are easy to make.
One of the few products I have bought that I have taken timeout to write a review on.
on March 16, 2015
This camera vest is a game-changer for me. It allows me to hike, take my DSLR camera, while still being able to use my camelbak hydration system on my back. Just returned from a 3 day hiking trip where I used this vest extensively everyday. It worked flawlessly. I had no problems adjusting the vest for a proper fit and had no problems using it in the field. If you're a nature photographer that likes to log miles and take photos with something more substantial than your phone or a point-and-click camera, this is it.

When researching whether to buy this vest, I was concerned about several negative comments. I'd like to address them here:

1) that it does not fit someone with "a slim body".

I'm 5'6", 130 lbs. I found the vest, after taking the time to adjust it properly, to fit absolutely fine. No issues with the fit whatsoever. I also saw a comment that once you had it on, there was no strap to tighten it further without taking it off. Some of the straps, particularly the top straps that go over your shoulders, are easier to adjust while not wearing it. There is a synch strap on the bottom of the vest that allows you to easily tighten or loosen the vest easily while wearing it.

Also, I was concerned that it would be difficult to adjust the vest if you were going from a jacket to a t-shirt frequently. Not the case at all. I went from wearing a heavy fleece jacket to wearing just a T-shirt on our hikes. Did not need to adjust the vest at all, other than tightening the synch strap which could not be easier.

2) Another negative comment was that it didn't come with all the parts.

This, for me, did not happen. All advertised parts were included.

3) That it didn't work well with a large lens.

This might be true. I used my camera with a 50 mm and my telephoto zoom EF 75-300 mm with the vest and had no negative issues whatsoever. Took over 300 shots with it over the 3 days and did not have any negative experiences with the vest.

4) That the system cannot be easily used if you use a tripod frequently.

This is absolutely true. If you want to take your tripod with you while using this vest system, I would pass on it. You would need to take off the bottom plate each time you wanted to attach it to your tripod, which might be a hassle to some. It would be for me. I don't take my tripod with me on most hikes, so this was not an issue for me.

5) That the bottom plate interferes with removing your cameras battery.

This will depend on your camera. I had no issues with mine. Even if I had to remove the bottom plate attachment each time I wanted to charge the battery, I would not consider this to be a hassle. It only takes a minute to attach/reattach it and the benefits of this vest vastly outweigh the 'hassle' of doing that.

I'm extremely happy with this vest and plan on using it extensively for a very long time. If I have any thing further to add once I am able to assess it's durability issues over a longer period of time, I will update this review.
on August 18, 2016
This is a well constructed harness. You can tell the design and parts are of high quality; however, if you are a female with a C cup or higher, this just isn't going to work for you. I am 5'8", 160 lbs and 34DD and this was very uncomfortable. By the time I adjusted all of the straps to achieve the "snug" fit that it recommends, it was entirely too tight and I was squishing out of it from every angle. It was also putting pressure on my shoulders and rubbing my neck (maybe I had it too tight), but it just would not be an option for my body type. I am returning this and will have to find a strap that will attach my Nikon D750 to my backpack instead. This is probably better product for men.
on January 27, 2017
It was comfortable and held my canon DSLR with a 70-200 2.8, very well and very securely. Getting it in and out was a learning curve but I am sure that would have gotten easier with time.
I had to return it as it was just not what I was looking for and to me anyway it is way over priced.
I was looking for something to carry my camera readily accessible while hiking backpacking and while being a tourist. The harness did work under my pack comfortably and did hold the camera securely but I was not comfortable with it being exposed while touristing so I would have to get something different for that part.
Also I think that it would block my body from getting rid of excess heat while hiking as it covers most of my chest as well as the pack covering my back.
I opted for a Mindshift Rotation 180 pack instead.
on November 21, 2016
Yeah, it's not inexpensive, but neither is your camera. You don't need a $3000 camera to use it though. It is really a great way to safely carry most any camera that is heavy enough to be tiresome to carry with a neck strap. The camera is not swinging wildly around if you need to use two hands to climb up on a big boulder or in and out of an off road vehicle. I carry a coupe batteries and some filters in a small belt pouch attached to the C.C. You can also carry a hydration pack over the C.C. I believe it will last for years as the workmanship appears to be top notch along with quality materials. I haven't worn it on a 100+ day yet as temps were topping out around 85 when I received the carrier, but I think it will be ok in the summer as well. I would like to see a version in a lighter color though. Light tan perhaps as black does absorb a lot of heat from desert sun.
on November 19, 2016
Gentlemen, I should say this carrier is a great thing to have especially when you want to use your camera while carrying a backpack on the trail. I have no concerns about the idea of the device - it is genius. What concerns me to a great extent is the way this harness made of cheap Chinese plastic buckles, cheap plastic straps and Velcro is being sold at f***g 150 bucks. Nobody would believe you purchased this stuff at this price. What in the world makes this device so expensive? Everything is made in Vietnam. I can only imagine how much they would charge if it were made in the USA. The funniest thing is the kit is not complete and stuff like L-adapter has to be ordered separately.
on October 24, 2012
This very useful device was obtained after a not-so-restrained endorsement from a normally critical relative. Although it was a little (very little) challenging to get the myriad adjustments correct, the efforts were well worth it.

This vest apparatus allowed secured 'attachment' of the camera even with nine inches of lens, eliminating concern for the movement of the camera that would have been a variable constant if left to the limitations of the neck strap. Even after 9 hours of tours via bus, cab or foot the camera stayed securely out of the way until needed. In addition, the airy but sturdy fabric panel design added little unnecessary insulation for use in 90°+ conditions with pretty drippy humidity.

My only minor complaint is that a couple of the velcro fasteners could catch on your underlying shirt or an unsuspecting jacket. This trivial annoyance will be addressed with a small cloth sleeve.

This otherwise simple device went a very long way to help protect some significant photographic investments.
on July 13, 2016
I bought this specifically for hiking and for an upcoming trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. In the past, I would wear my camera around my neck with the strap and it would swing around and I constantly worried about it slamming into something an breaking. This vest held my Nikon DSLR securely and comfortably on my trip. I had a few instances of scrambling over some bounders and there was no worry of the camera lens being smashed on a rock. It was very easy to remove from the holder when I wanted to snap a photo and the vest puts the weight of the camera on your shoulders instead of the back of your neck which, over the course of a few miles of hiking makes a HUGE difference. I was also able to put my backpack on over the vest without a problem or feeling completely loaded down. It IS a little expensive but, if you love to hike and love to take photos on those hikes, this is well worth the money.
on April 5, 2017
Ordered this while we were on vacation and had it shipped to where we were staying. Shipping and delivery was as promised. Fitting the carrier was a bit time consuming, but is well fitting and quite comfortable. The first couple weeks I wore the carrier by itself. Now we are finishing our vacation in the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee and I am wearing it under a backpack. Absulutely love having my camera ready at any time and not having to hand carry or have it hanging around my neck or shoulder. I am free to use hiking poles and still access my camera for quick shots. Cannot believe how many people that have stopped me to inquire about my Cotton Carrier. I have provided all these individuals with the name of your business. Thank You.
on August 8, 2013
Very easy to figure out. Comes with two hubs, one for a long lens, and one regular size lens. Also, mine came with a holder for a 2nd camera on the waist. Extremely well made. It feels thick and sturdy, but lightweight. The seams are flawless. After initial adjustment, it fits very well, even on a curvy woman's chest. I think it would fit even better on a man. The first time I wore it, it felt a bit heavy on my shoulders (with the hulking Nikon d3 and 70-200 lens), but after the first hour I barely noticed it was there. It's very comfortable. It didn't make me too hot even in 95+ degree Texas heat. It holds the camera very securely. I have no worries that it will fail, and if it does, there is the detachable tether (comes with two) that will not let the camera fall to the ground. Also comes with a hand strap. Camera slides easily in and out of the mount. In two seconds I'm hands free without my camera swinging around and banging into things. It also comes with an attachment for the ball head type tripod. It's an investment, but I don't think I'll ever have to buy another. Five stars and two thumbs up.