Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon kidsevergreen kidsevergreenaltText Choose channels with their favorite shows and movies kidsevergreenaltText Choose channels with their favorite shows and movies  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 26 reviews
on March 30, 2013
Like a lot of other reviewers, I had trouble putting this down once I started it. Kratman's characters, as always, were well-developed and the book was noteworthy for its consistent realism. I won't say more because the best part of the book was the way in which the plot developed and I don't wish to give anything away. Suffice it to say, if you enjoyed the first book in the series, M Day is a must read.
on December 16, 2014
Great Book
on November 21, 2016
Read everything by Kratman you can get your hands on if you want to feel the burn for getting ready for SHTF scenarios.
on September 10, 2011
Whatever we can do to encourage Mr. Kratman to complete his next installment in this series we must do. If that includes water boarding then so be it.

This was a great book and was written in accurate detail of action and with well described geography reminiscent of Louis L'Amour. And much like Stephen Coonts' "Flight of the Intruder" it puts you there in the action. Kratman isn't squeamish about killing off your favorite characters either but he does compensate by killing off the villains righteously. If you want to enhance the experience of reading this book go to Google Earth and do the recon.

If you read this book you are pretty much committing yourself to reading them all. I am your number one fan, Tom. Get to work. Annie Wilkes and I are waiting.
on July 9, 2014
A three novel series set in the VERY near future when every nation on earth is beginning to fall apart. A group of retired soldiers get together and turn themselves into mercs in order to secure safety and security for themselves and their family and friends.
on August 30, 2012
I was happily about a quarter into Victor Davis Hanson's excellent history of the Peloponnesian war, "A War Like No Other," when this book, the second in the series, came in the mail, along with the third one. No problem, I thought, I'll put them in the pile and think about what's next after Hanson. But I was going away for the weekend, and a paperback was easier to carry. So I finished "Countdown: M-Day" about 3:30 AM this morning, without touching Hanson again. Kratman never disappoints, in fact he gets better with each book, but he is not what I should read when I can't sleep. Makes work difficult later. His great characterization leaves you grieving for the good guys who don't make it, and his detailed plotting and knowledge of all aspects of military operations lock you into the story. It's not all sex and violence--there's some pretty good humor too. I especially liked Buzz the Croc, who might have escaped from Captain Hook, and the fictional fate of Julian Assange, the Wikilunitic. I guess what really keeps drawing me back to Kratman's fiction, though, is his clear-eyed grasp of the deterioration of civilization that is going on around us, unnoticed by 98% of our fellow citizens, who only see the broken windows on their own streets. All his novels deal with how brave, decent men and woman will be faced with desperate situations in the future because of this. Kratman's books are first class escapist entertainment. But there are also frightening prophecy. Now can I read Hanson with book three of the series calling to me? Stay tuned.

Robert A. Hall
Massachusetts Senate, 1973-83
Author: The Coming Collapse of the American Republic
All royalties go to help wounded veterans
on January 18, 2017
Okay
on May 18, 2016
Political ax to grind but entertaining
on April 24, 2013
good fast paced action, well thought out in terms of the issues. His personal best I tend to think was "state of disobedience" but haven't regretted buying a book of his yet.
on December 8, 2013
I liked the detail and action. He has build a great set of characters. Tom Kratman writes in a way you can feel the action.