Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 14, 2012
I haven't finished reading this volume yet, but based on a flip-through and what I've read so far, I am very impressed with the information presented. I've been researching genealogy for about 17 years, but my experience in courthouses has not been nearly as extensive as online since I've not been able to travel much out of state. Having recently volunteered to research family histories for two friends whose genealogies took place more locally, I knew I would want to make some trips closer to home to look at some actual documents. In anticipation of that I ordered this book, and I'm glad I did. I've already learned quite a bit just from the first two chapters, especially the section on advance preparation--even discusses what kind of clothing to wear! The author addresses all kinds of scenarios one might encounter in a courthouse visit, from good to bad, and how to address the issues that might arise. I also like her writing style--very readable, down to earth, and humorous. Her explanations are easy to understand without talking down to the reader. I also bought the companion book, "Courthouse Indexes Illustrated," which is a nice supplement showing examples of the courthouse forms she describes.

If you are new to courthouse research, I would highly recommend this book and, if you can let go of a few dollars more, the "Index" book as well. I believe that more experienced researchers would also benefit from a reading--I can't imagine you wouldn't learn a few things you didn't already know.
on April 13, 2017
This book has been helpful to give insight and helpful tips to amateur geneologists searching for family information in local courthouses. I sure am glad I purchased this book.
on November 19, 2016
This is so helpful for people with an interest in Ancestry, or finding all records and anything else in courthouse files. It has helped me find a few things about relatives.
on September 5, 2011
First, a disclaimer - I haven't yet finished the book. In fact, I'm only in the 3rd chapter BUT I've already learned enough to make the cost of the book a great investment!

I'm relatively new to 'serious' genealogy and have my first courthouse trip planned for next week. I thought it would be a good idea to learn a bit more about local records before my trip so I purchased this book. My goal is to answer a couple of very specific questions about an ancestor and I had a small inkling of what I would need to answer those questions. However, I'm barely into the book and have already discovered 2 others ways I might be able to use local records to discover what I am after. Before I started this book, I was excited but nervous about my trip . . . now I'm am SUPER excited and confident!
on August 20, 2013
With what little I have read, this book is written for the lay person and I am sure the pro will benefit by reading it as well. Easy to read and lots of things to help one to be prepared for a visit. Some humor to let us all know that genealogy is not something is all drudge. The rewards can come from some of the most unusual situations and this book can help us know some of the places and ways to look for information.
on August 7, 2014
I have been an amateur genealogist for almost 20 years and pretty much thought I knew it all. In spite of all my experience I went ahead and purchased this book, and I am very glad I did. It clarified a lot in my mind concerning courthouse research, plus it is very well-written and organized. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in researching their family history.
on January 21, 2017
A very resourceful book and in great condition.
on October 23, 2015
I can't tell you how much this has taught me about what to find and how to get those most important documents we need for family history and documentation information.
on March 31, 2017
This had some useful tips but not as many as I had hoped.
on November 29, 2015
Very helpful resource in my family research. Book as described.