Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Covenant/The Betrayal/The Sacrifice/The Prodigal/The Revelation (Abram's Daughters 1-5)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

VINE VOICEon December 16, 2005
This is very much not the kind of reading I usually do. I rarely read fiction, and even less often what is termed a romance. But I just finished the last book in this series and I have to say I loved every minute of the whole 5 books. I feel like Sadie, Leah, Mary Ruth and the rest are friends I could meet somehow if I tried.

It's fascinating getting a little glimpse of Amish culture. I liked the way the author didn't overexplain aspects of it. She was writing from the perspective of those within in, who would accept things like shunning and drawing lots for a new preacher as how things were done, and so your learning about them was gradual.

The characters' world was such a closed one. I liked that---so many books feel they have to use world events as a backdrop, and that to me often distracts from the story when I am reading fiction. It was so interesting reading about the day Kennedy was shot from the perspective of those only a little aware of the outside world.

This is a "warts and all" portrayal of the Amish world. You are not led to feel that all is perfect there, and the characters' slowly growing religious awakening is a overlying theme in all these books.

If you are looking for fancy writing or clever phrases, this is not the place to look. The books tell their stories in a pretty "plain" way, like the Amish themselves. They are less romance and more family stories----with much about the joys and sorrows of motherhood, which is a harder theme to find written about well than is romance! So I am not giving the 5 stars based on this being Nobel Prize writing. It's not, and that is one of the things I like about it. I am giving them based on my enjoyment of these books and how long they will stay with me. Highly recommended!
on October 19, 2005
I waited to read the last one till I could get the beautiful boxed set - it was worth waiting for! There were so many loose ends to weave together in this final volume, but Beverly Lewis did it well. I feel as though I know these people - we've learned of their joys and their heartache, their secrets and their painful discovery. I appreciated the epilogue so that I could know what happened next. I won't give away any of the story, but as well as I thought I knew the charactors, Ms Lewis still threw in some surprises.
on September 13, 2005
I adore this series. I thought Beverly did a supurb job of bringing the characters to life. Her on going story led us through many years of happiness, sadness, and understanding. Each new book had an unexpected surprise which was obviously, cleverly planned. I think that Beverly put much thought into this series and took great care in writing it. It was educational, as well as heart warming. I would recommend this to any one who would like to read a good love story novel, especially if you love to see God's providential care intermingled into your story lines.
on December 1, 2005
I picked up the second book in this series in the library and couldn't put it down. Have purchased the series several times now for myself and as gifts. Beverly Lewis is is not only a very clever writer, having given much thought to the plot that develops through the novels, but gives us what feels like an insider look into the Amish community. I'm a new and avid fan!
on February 15, 2006
I read every single one of these books in their entirety. Most I read in one to two days each. The characters in the series are clearly described, the story line is excellently plotted out, and it's not only wonderfully entertaining, it is quite educational.

I live in Lancaster County, PA, and I never even knew many of the peticulars that Beverly Lewis brings to life in this series. I find the Amish so fascinating, and I admire them so greatly for continuing to hold true to their principles. In this series, it describes the Amish teens "running around" time.

I would recommend this series to anyone who loves to be immersed in the world in which they are reading of.
on April 17, 2006
I read all 5 volumes. They held my interest from start to finish. I just wish there was a 6th one. If you find the Amish culture interesting, you will like this series. A lot of secret goings on that I would never have guessed would happen in this culture, which just proves, we're all human.
on October 14, 2006
I own all of the Abrams Daughters books and when I bought them I read a little before I bought them and thought these are probably boring to read but I ended up buying them they are a vary good read it took me about two days on each book because I couldn't put them down. Again vary good read and I liked how Mrs Lewis knows about what she wrights and how I felt I was right in the story like I was actuly in the county in Pennslvania and living and working side by side with them I highly recamend them if you haven't read them.
on January 12, 2007
This was the second series by Beverly Lewis that I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed each and every book. Never dull, they keep you wondering just what is going to happen next. These books are Christian value based. Not only are they entertaining, they are uplifting and provide meaningful life messages.
on October 7, 2006
I started to read the second book first (oops) then realizing it I put it down read the first and was hooked! What a fascinating tale that takes you through PA Dutch Amish lifestyle. As a PA Dutch descendant I learned a great deal and came away with a new personal understanding of my grandparents and family. I am a great fan of Beverly Lewis now and have read literally everything she has published to date. Mrs. Lewis is a great story teller and I recommend that you read her other books. As an obviously devout Christian woman she brings God and Christ into her stories but in an interesting way that serves to bring about some personal reflection to the reader and still makes story sense. Love the books I devour them in days!
on August 24, 2007
I got so drawn into these characters and couldn't put down these books because I needed to find out if Leah would get her happy ending and live happily ever after. This is a very well written series that you need to finish once you start it. I breezed through these 5 books in 2 weeks. A friend started reading book 1 when I was into book 3 and feels the same way and lucky me! I get to relive the series each day when she comes into work and tells me what she read the previous evening.
If you read only one of Ms. Lewis' series, this is the series to pick. It's some story full of scandal, heartbreak and lots of love. Excellent!