Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series
Amazon.com Exclusive Edition, Amazon Exclusive Edition, Exclusive Edition
DVD + Blu-ray
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Explore the far reaches of the galaxy in this undeniably hip series that inspired a generation – and redefined anime as an indisputable art form.
The Bebop crew is just trying to make a buck. This motely lot of intergalactic loners teams up to track down fugitives and turn them in for cold hard cash. Spike is a hero whose cool façade hides a dark and deadly past. The pilot Jet is a bruiser of a brute who can’t wait to collect the next bounty. Faye Valentine is a femme fatale prone to breaking hearts and separating fools from their money. Along for the ride are the brilliant, but weird, hacker Ed and a super-genius Welsh Corgi named Ein. On their own, any one of them is likely to get lost in the sprawl of space, but together, they’re they most entertaining gang of bounty hunters in the year 2071.
- Limited Edition clamshell art box
- 140 page black and white art book featuring early concept sketches and designs that highlight Cowboy Bebop’s origins.
- 48 page vibrant, full-color art book
Top customer reviews
- Cowboy Bebop: Complete Series (DVD 5 disc set)
- Cowboy Bebop: Complete Series (Blu-ray 4-disc set)
- FUNimation.com Exclusive BD/DVD Premium Edition (Blu-ray/DVD Combo 9 disc set)
- Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series - Amazon Exclusive Edition (Blu-ray/DVD Combo 9 disc set)
What I've found so far is the following (thanks to Nicholas Gold for commenting on my original review)
FUNimation Exclusive Premium Edition
* Complete TV series on Blu-ray and DVD (combo pack)
* Exclusive Limited Edition tri-fold packaging in the style of a vintage record cover
* Display easel for packaging
* Four exclusive art cards
* One additional exclusive art card with foil-stamp autograph from series director Shinichiro Watanabe
* As of 9/12/14 Market Price is $89.98 and pre-order price is $64.98 directly from FUNimation [and still $64.98 on 10/5/2014]
Amazon Exclusive Premium Edition
* Complete TV series on Blu-ray and DVD (combo pack)
* Exclusive Limited Edition clamshell art box
* 140 page black and white art book featuring concept sketches and designs that highlight Cowboy Bebop's origins
* 48 page vibrant, full-color art book
* As of 9/12/14 the Market Price is $99.98 and you can see the current Amazon Price above
So, as far as I can find so far, the actual content is the same. In my opinion, the difference is that the Amazon exclusive has more interesting physical extras. However, at a $25 premium. So, if you're a collector and don't mind shelling out another $25, then get the Amazon version. If all you care about is watching the videos, then the FUNimation version may be for you or the Blu-Ray standard edition. If you're super hardcore, than you're gonna tear your hair out trying to decide if you should buy both LOL!
I cannot confirm yet if the actual video (and on disc extra) content is any different between the standard and premium editions.
If you find any other info regarding the differences to these edition, then please post in the comments and I'll update this post with those comments or any info I find as well!
Regarding the FUNimation Exclusive, I've copy/pasted their info below:
Includes: Eps 1-26
Format: Blu-ray & DVD
Closed Captioning: No
Aspect Ratio: 4x3
Main Feature Video: 1080p High Definition 4x3 (SD Remaster)
Main Feature Audio: Dolby TrueHD: English 5.1,Dolby TrueHD: Japanese 5.1,English 5.1 Surround,Japanese 5.1 Surround
Special Feature Audio: Dolby TrueHD: English 2.0,Dolby TrueHD: Japanese 2.0,English 2.0,Japanese 2.0
Main Feature Runtime: 650
Number of Blu-ray Discs: 4
Number of DVDs: 5
Exclusive tri-fold packaging in the style of a vintage record cover
Four exclusive art cards
One additional exclusive art card with foil-stamp autograph from series director Shinichiro Watanabe
On-disc extras TBA
Regarding the standard edition: someone posts in the comments below that it is $36 elsewhere; as of 10/05/14 this is less than what is listed on Amazon. I'm not posting the site on my review cause I don't know if that's Kosher, but you can see the original comment below.
Regarding the DVD and Blu-Ray extras, I want to thank BOOTA-san for finding this first and posting in the comments below. I can confirm that I've now found this list posted elsewhere on the interwebz, so here it is:
DVD Extras (160 minutes):
- Memo from Bebop: The Dub Sessions Remembered - a brand new 95-minute original extra, featuring the original English-language cast of Cowboy Bebop as they give you the behind-the-scenes stories about recording this seminal series.
- Session #1 Audio Commentary with Koichi Yamadera (Spike) and Unshou Ishizuka (Jet)
- Session #5 Audio Commentary with Wendee Lee (Faye) and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba
- Interview with Wendee Lee (English Voice of Faye Valentine)
- Session #10 Audio Commentary with Wendee Lee (Faye) and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba
- Interview with Cartoon Network Producer Sean Akins
- Session #17 Audio Commentary with Director Shinichiro Watanabe and Composer Yoko Kanno
- "Tank!" Full-Size Music Clip
- "Tank!" Club Remix Music Clip -UK Version-
- Session #24 Audio Commentary with Megumi Hayashibara (Faye) and Aoi Tada (Ed)
- Original Opening and Closing Songs
- Textless Opening and Closing Songs
- Ein's Summer Vacation
- Cowboy Bebop Session #0
- U.S. Trailer
Blu-ray Extras (227 minutes):
- All of the DVD extras, plus
- Dinner Aboard the Bebop, a brand new 68-minute original extra, featuring the original English-language cast of Cowboy Bebop reunited for dinner, drinks, and a very special script reading!
Don't forget, if you haven't already, add the Cowboy Bebop: The Movie [Special Edition] to your order! Read the first review on that page; I agree to get the DVD version (unless you're a completest)
I was also a little disappointed with the artbook. For what this set cost, it could have been printed on some higher quality paper. The box is really nice, though.
Now, aside from my opinion on the anime itself, I will remark that this box set is just about as good as it gets for Bebop fans. You get pretty much everything here, the highest quality release available and DVDs to boot. I rarely purchase physical media anymore, but this is one of the few items I recommend for a collection. If you are a die hard Bebop fan, this is a must, if you're just getting into anime you might be ok with just a DVD set, but you can hardly go wrong with this collection.
I first watched this series on Cartoon Network back before it was ruined, many sad episodes but plenty of fun and happy ones so it balances itself out in the end, but what really brought back memories was the phenomenal music for this series.
The art books are great and the discs look like miniature vinyl records.
Word of warning: the original show was created to be played at 4:3. Despite this being a Blu-ray, the episodes will still be shown in the original 4:3. The 16:9 that the box refers to is for the extras on the discs.
...See You Space Cowboy
Most recent customer reviews
Series is a 5 star!