Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on March 18, 2016
I ordered mine to be delivered for a same-day shoot and had to use it as-is due to the time constraint, but I likely would've returned it for a replacement had it not been for that. The terminus of the boom was cross-threaded and jammed. I'm not sure if this compromises the integrity of the boom at all, but it is definitely unsightly and smacks of sloppy quality control. see photo.
review image
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on December 5, 2016
Cowboy Studio products are low to medium quality at affordable prices. Everything I have purchased from them has been " So So". You get what you pay for. These had issues as well which I needed to correct. But since they were inexpensive I don't mind fixing their items up. These ones had screws and nuts problems. Know what you are buying.
on July 25, 2016
This is a well constructed addition to my camera equipment. The dual head clamp head holds securely, even with both weight bags attached to the boom end. I used this to hold a halo light high above/behind my subjects and it stayed in place, even with the jostling.

The grip head is a bit confusing to attach to a tripod but once you get it attached, you can remove the boom by loosening the clamp. the clamp is designed to accommodate several different sizes of down tubes. The boom fits the largest opening in the clamp head.

The boom head will work with multiple devices so I can use the boom for a reflector, a light, a flash or whatever else I need. Very versatile.
on July 25, 2016
I bought this for my studio and it works like a charm. I couldn't believe the quality when I got it in because the price was pretty low. I plan on buying a second one too. One thing I did learn once I got it, you don't need to fill the sand bag up all the way with sand. It only requires maybe 2/3 of the bag to filled because it only need enough to help balance the weight of the strobe you are using. 5 stars for sure!
3 helpful votes
Enthusiast: Photographyon December 29, 2016
While this is inexpensive, with that comes some cheapness. The entire clamp is plastic and the sandbag I received leaked sand. I had to remove it all and put it in Ziploc bags.

I don't quite get the lock setup at the end of the extension pole. Why would you need to remove the light mounting tip? If you accidentally grab the wrong lever or hit the lever by accident, your light comes crashing down. By the design you cannot remove the screw or remove the lever.

On a 10 ft. HD stand and 4 pound light head this whole thing became too unstable and wobbly. I ended up buying a nice c-stand. If it weren't too much hassle I would have returned this. I'll use it for reflectors or something lightweight.
review imagereview image
on March 31, 2017
Make sure you know what stand you need as this doesn't give u much info about a stand before buying. This is not a pro boom so most amateurs would be looking at this and have little or no knowledge of the fact that this boom will not fit standard stands. Do your research before buying on what stand u need for it. I gave it two stars because the company appears to just try and sell their product without info on completion of this boom
on February 25, 2015
Good item, havnt tried it yet hut feels good in the hands.

Update: 04/15/2015 the joint spins when there is weight on it.. I couldnt get it to stay where i wanted it. A good fix to the spinning/slipping is super glueing fine sand paper on the inside of the joint.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on February 12, 2015
It appears OK until one point......
The most important part in a Boom Arm is the Clamp . Talking about this clamp , plastic , I don't think will accept any light more then 2.3 lb and a light Softbox as 24 x 36 inch on a fully extended arm and leaving behind 18 inch for the weight .
I tested and I will not suggest for more weight .
on February 5, 2013
Pros: reasonable cost, comes with a sandbag and attachment carabiner, has a quick release for the strobe/modifier.

Cons: clamp is plastic (although good plastic), collapsed size is still 4', sandbag not very practical

The clamp has four different sized holes you can put a pole though. The smallest diameter hole it will accommodate is about 20mm and the largest is about 30mm. Use the largest hole that will still allow you to clamp it down on your light stand. This boom/clamp will not work with the cheap 7' light stands that are widely available, the top section of the stand is too small to fit the clamp at 16.5mm, and the combined weight of the boom system is far too great.

With the pole extended, you will need a counter balance weight in the 10-20lb range bringing the weight of the system (boom, clamp, strobe, modifier, counter balance weight) into the 20-30lb range. I have tested it successfully on the 9' and 12' Cowboy studio stands, as well as the Revelli 10' stand. You will need to sandbag your stand as it won't be stable with the boom.

Even though the clamp appears to be the same on both sides, it isn't. One side is for the light stand and one is for the boom. See my pictures to get the setup done correctly. I highly suggest marking the clamp to save yourself time down the road if you will not be leaving it setup permanently. I marked where the boom goes, as well the where the light stand pole goes for the diameters I will likely use.

The pole is in two sections, it collapses down to 4' and extends to about 6.5'. The base section is 30mm in diameter. The strobe end uses a standard 5/8" attachment point with the far end 1/4 threaded similar to most light stands. It also has a quick release which is handy. You may need to adjust the tension on the release levers using a small hex socket or needle nose pliers. On mine one was not tight enough and using it as is would have risked my equipment and the safety of those in the area.

The sandbag is like those seen advertised on amazon from various sellers for use in photography. Although the sandbag is okay, I won't be using with the boom because it's too hard to adjust. As you change modifiers and the length of the boom, you need to constantly be adjusting the counter balance. Trying to put in and take out sand (or other ballast material) with every adjustment just isn't practical. Instead, I'm using several weights from a barbell set, each one with cord attached and it's own small carabiner. This makes it easy to add or take away a couple pounds at a time. One could also use filled bottles of water or any other ballast that can be attached to the ring bolt. If you are using this in a more or less permanent configuration (same strobe, modifier, boom length) then the sandbag may work fine for you. I'll instead use the sandbag to hold down the light stand which is a requirement with this setup.

I hope this review was useful to you.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
83 helpful votes
84 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on June 8, 2017
Make sure the base stem is as thick as this one. Chances are the starter lighting kit you bought before this will not be able to support it. I was fortunate to have 2 stands used to hold up muslin cloth of 7-9 feet long and it just barely fits the boom clamp.