Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Style: triple kit|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,261 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,342 reviews
on March 3, 2013
As a photographer with over 30 years experience, I can tell you that these lights are simply awesome. There have been many reviews from what I can only assume are drooling morons about the socket quality, the stands quality, the low light levels. Guess what? They are $60.00 bucks, not $1,500.00 like my main set!

PROS:
The Stands are of a thinner tubing than the $1,500 dollar variety, yes, and of a pot metal construction (not aircraft grade aluminum) with lower quality plastic clamps and adjusters (not machined and polished aluminum) HOWEVER... they are most certainly sturdy for light stands and absolutely useable for what I can see as a very long life (if you're not a tool!)

Also, the light fixtures themselves are very sturdy AND accommodate the included bulbs very well.

As this is a continuous light system and not strobes, I have used them for studio lighting along with 2 softboxes. The light level is strong and clean, with no flickers or other anomalies.

The light levels are steady and at the advertised rated output continuously.

The accompanying nylon bag is branded with Cowboy Studio's logo as with all of their products. The bag is really descent and holds the gear for transport properly and completely as it should.

CONS: None, for 60 dollars there is not a one. Even for $120.00 I would be very satisfied.

All in all, for 60 bucks, these are awesome and very much worth the money and will serve you well... unless you're a tool.
1515 comments| 408 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2016
I ordered this light set for an indoor photo shoot. I was skeptical about the quality of the product, because of the price, but it surpassed my expectations. I travel with the set and set it up indoors for photo shoots. The size of the product packed up in the travel case is manageable, lightweight and easy to carry. It comes with two umbrella lights, a smaller light (3 stands all together), three light bulbs and a carrying case.

With the smaller light I aim it away from the subject and project it off a cheap poster board towards the subject. These are constant lights and it will get hot in a room fast, a fan is an extra bonus if you have one!

The only thing I recommend that you add to your purchase order is an extension cord or two as these cords are not that long. I also recommend that you keep ALL the product packaging (minus the shipping box) and take down the equipment and store it like you received it every time you use it. This is what I have been doing with it for over a year and I have not had to replace anything with it.
review image review image
This is an AMAZING value considering what each piece would cost if you bought it separately! The stands alone are worth the price.

I don't shoot much video, so I don't use these very often. As such, I was very surprised when one of the bulbs stopped working after a handful of uses. I always store them in the foam inserts inside the original boxes, so they didn't get knocked around. It just stopped working.

All other pieces are holding up fine. I regularly use the case and stands for my regular photography work, which involves going on location to shoot headshots for business people.

Don't use the umbrellas much, as I prefer softboxes and reflective umbrellas. Nice to have them just in case, though.

45W CFLs sounds like a lot of light, but photography requires more light than most people realize. I was not surprised these required ISO 800 even in close quarters to get decent shutter speeds and aperture.
on May 10, 2014
80's song references aside this is a nifty little set. I use it for all the photos I take for articles I write on my website. My home is very dark and photo taking was always a problem. This set was recommended to me and I've been really happy with it. The two large stands are very easy to adjust.

The only problem I've had is the smaller light stand. It has very short legs and does not extend as tall as the others. The height does not bother me as you generally need a lower light in the mix but I find it is top heavy with the umbrella on it. The legs just are not long enough to make it stable so it tips over when you breath on it. I seldom use three lights for what I do so its not a big deal but I do wish the third stand was the same as the others. I love those ones. I'd give it 5 stars were it not for the runty stand.

UPDATE: June 13th 2014:
I've had this for a month now and used it regularly. The one stand that is smaller and shorter is VERY frustrating to work with. It tips over constantly. And I mean CONSTANTLY. It's pretty much useless in my opinion. It needed to be a full size stand. So I feel I paid for three stands and got only two that really work. That's a big deal despite it being a good price and the fact that I really love the other two stands. I had to dock it another star for this issue.
on March 19, 2017
The poles on the umbrellas themselves bend easily, so make sure whoever is using them doesn't accidentally bend the bulb holder to much without paying attention to where the umbrella pole is. Common sense would prevent this, but common sense isn't quite as common as one would hope. ;) The bulbs work ok for product photography, but if you're wanting super bright light, you may want to buy the double bulb holders (can't think of what those are called right now) or buy brighter bulbs. I still much prefer natural daylight, but these work ok. I wouldn't say the light these offer is comparable to daylight, so keep that in mind when choosing bulbs. I bought this for photographing fine art, but have started using them only for product. Daylight is still number one.
on June 2, 2014
The light socket assembly that comes with the Cowboy Light Studio kit is defective. When you screw in the light bulb, the metal piece that is inside the socket, will come out as you tighten the light bulb. This happened to two of the three light sockets. I didn't tighten the third one very much, otherwise the metal piece would have came out.

Make sure to checkout the additional close up pictures of the metal ring coming out of the light socket.
review image review image review image review image
66 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2013
My daughters got into photo shooting and video recording for fun, so we found this on Amazon to help them produce better quality videos. They had told me that this is a good brand for this type of products, so I thought it would be costly. Nope, the price is really reasonable for everything that comes in the box. Every piece of the equipment, light bulb etc all worked as supposed to and actually makes a pretty big difference on the output of the videos they took. I never knew you could have a set like this for home use.

My only advice to people that buy and use this is: put it away when you are not using it.

We all know how kids are, leaving things out after they are done with them. Since they pushed the stands against the wall after they were done, I didn't think it would be a problem. Well, one of the stands got knocked over by my hard-working Roomba vacuum cleaner since it is so lightweighted, and the bulb broke into tiny pieces.
Enthusiast: Photographyon September 7, 2015
These lights work very well if you are looking for something cheap in price but of good quality. I have been using these for a while now and have taken them on several projects. I would suggest that if you are going to be moving these please be careful. They are not lights that you would want to be rough with. If you are looking for a cheap way to get studio lights and you know you will be careful with them these are great. If you are looking for lights that can take heavy wear and tear then these are not for you.

Pros:
Very Affordable
Comes with everything you need
Light Weight

Cons:
Cheap materials (handle with care)
Third light is too small to really use in any applications
The carry case is not designed well. (It is sturdy but the zipper is not placed well)
on June 2, 2013
Downsides:

- Umbrellas slide through a piece which you attach to the stands. This piece has a strip of metal inside the hole and a locking screw on the side, neither of which hold the umbrella in place. However I solved the problem of the sliding umbrella simply by attaching some tape onto the umbrella pole so it couldn't fit through the hole.
- Umbrellas do not reflect the light very much (or at all). I had to buy two 33" umbrellas that had the real silver lining inside that actually reflects the light. Also the outside black layer of the umbrellas was ripped in a few places. The umbrellas that come with this are basically useless.
- Stands are light and if extended all the way to their maximum height tend to tip over. So I don't extend them all the way and if I need to, I just put a towel or something on top of the legs and it keeps them from falling over.

Upsides:

- Very inexpensive, I couldn't find a better deal for the price
- Comes with four 85 watt bulbs which, if bought alone, would cost $75 plus shipping.
- Comes with a nice case which has enough room for everything (no tight squeeze)
- Produces a good deal of light (340 watts of fluorescent light total). I feel like 1200 watts is slightly deceiving though, and probably why people complain that it's not bright enough.

Overall:

If you aren't looking to spend much it's a great kit. But don't expect much from the umbrellas.
The specs for this setup are very misleading!

Firstly, each bulb says 85w on it however you don't actually get 85W unless you use 2 bulbs. I measured the power draw with one bulb on and with two bulbs on and it's only 85w with 2 on.

The kit comes with 4 bulbs and fixtures so that would be a total of 170 watts. Where in the world do they get the 1200 watt figure from? I know the answer, and that is the tungsten equivalent. In other words, these CFL bulbs output the equivalent light of 1200 incandescent watts. That's pretty bright, but not as bright as you might think given that it's 4 bulbs.

This entire kit feels very cheap in terms of build quality. That said, for the price, it's still a marginally good deal. Just be aware that you may find the build quality a bit laughable if you've ever used pro and/or prosumer gear.