Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Style: triple kit|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,273 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,356 reviews
on March 3, 2013
As a photographer with over 30 years experience, I can tell you that these lights are simply awesome. There have been many reviews from what I can only assume are drooling morons about the socket quality, the stands quality, the low light levels. Guess what? They are $60.00 bucks, not $1,500.00 like my main set!

PROS:
The Stands are of a thinner tubing than the $1,500 dollar variety, yes, and of a pot metal construction (not aircraft grade aluminum) with lower quality plastic clamps and adjusters (not machined and polished aluminum) HOWEVER... they are most certainly sturdy for light stands and absolutely useable for what I can see as a very long life (if you're not a tool!)

Also, the light fixtures themselves are very sturdy AND accommodate the included bulbs very well.

As this is a continuous light system and not strobes, I have used them for studio lighting along with 2 softboxes. The light level is strong and clean, with no flickers or other anomalies.

The light levels are steady and at the advertised rated output continuously.

The accompanying nylon bag is branded with Cowboy Studio's logo as with all of their products. The bag is really descent and holds the gear for transport properly and completely as it should.

CONS: None, for 60 dollars there is not a one. Even for $120.00 I would be very satisfied.

All in all, for 60 bucks, these are awesome and very much worth the money and will serve you well... unless you're a tool.
1515 comments| 413 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2014
The light socket assembly that comes with the Cowboy Light Studio kit is defective. When you screw in the light bulb, the metal piece that is inside the socket, will come out as you tighten the light bulb. This happened to two of the three light sockets. I didn't tighten the third one very much, otherwise the metal piece would have came out.

Make sure to checkout the additional close up pictures of the metal ring coming out of the light socket.
review image review image review image review image
66 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2015
I am a part-time professional photographer and have owned this kit for three years now. Although this is not my main set up, I have used it quite a bit over the years and it is still holding up very well. Nowadays, I use it for product photography (to illuminate a light box), and it does the job very well. In the past, I have used it for newborn photography, and it worked, but keep in mind that you will absolutely have to replace the bulbs that come with the kit with brighter ones (I'd recommend 100 Watts ).

If you expect the highest-quality materials, you're going to be disappointed, but - for under $50 - this is a remarkable value. Although the plastic is rather cheap, the kit is sturdy. I have had no issues with any of that stands falling over and have used them on both carpet and hard surfaces. If you use them outdoors, you'll probably want to place some weight at the base to prevent them from tipping over in windy conditions, but that, for the most part, is true for any set.

The light stands are height-adjustable and have quite a bit of range, which makes them ideal for many different applications. Keep in mind that the lowest they will go is about 3 ft., so if you need them for applications that require lower height, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. The short stand is right around 2 ft. in its lowest position, but there is only one of those (unless you purchase additional).

I have had no issues with the sockets and they have accommodated various light bulbs over the years. The light output is continuous without any flickering or other defects. I'm currently using 100 Watt bulbs with them.

The carrying pouch that comes with the kit is also nice and convenient, and it is still holding up.

Overall, for the price, you can't beat this kit. If you use it as your main kit and constantly have to transport it, or if the stands are exposed to harsh conditions (drops, harsh weather, etc.), I am not sure what the durability would be, but if you use them moderately and don't abuse them, they will last you a long, long time.
This is an AMAZING value considering what each piece would cost if you bought it separately! The stands alone are worth the price.

I don't shoot much video, so I don't use these very often. As such, I was very surprised when one of the bulbs stopped working after a handful of uses. I always store them in the foam inserts inside the original boxes, so they didn't get knocked around. It just stopped working.

All other pieces are holding up fine. I regularly use the case and stands for my regular photography work, which involves going on location to shoot headshots for business people.

Don't use the umbrellas much, as I prefer softboxes and reflective umbrellas. Nice to have them just in case, though.

45W CFLs sounds like a lot of light, but photography requires more light than most people realize. I was not surprised these required ISO 800 even in close quarters to get decent shutter speeds and aperture.
on January 31, 2016
I did a quick demo and difference of the lighting kit, and a first impressions review if you're thinking of buying: YouTube.com/almafied and it's the first video
review image
on March 19, 2017
The poles on the umbrellas themselves bend easily, so make sure whoever is using them doesn't accidentally bend the bulb holder to much without paying attention to where the umbrella pole is. Common sense would prevent this, but common sense isn't quite as common as one would hope. ;) The bulbs work ok for product photography, but if you're wanting super bright light, you may want to buy the double bulb holders (can't think of what those are called right now) or buy brighter bulbs. I still much prefer natural daylight, but these work ok. I wouldn't say the light these offer is comparable to daylight, so keep that in mind when choosing bulbs. I bought this for photographing fine art, but have started using them only for product. Daylight is still number one.
on March 29, 2016
This is a great set for a beginning or small studio. I bought this for a public "photo lab" in one of the residence halls at my college as they need to take pictures of various projects throughout the year to compile portfolios and presentations. The stands are very light (which has its pros and cons), but they seem to be well made. The mini light stand for the direct light is very easy to tip over and we had to replace a light bulb because of that, so be cautious, but otherwise it is very easy to set up, get running, and use for portrait or object photos.
review image
on August 25, 2017
For what you get, this is a great value. I got it to photograph a lot of stuff to sell online and did not want to spend a fortune. It has worked beautifully for me, and have even used it for taking photos for other purposes. If you don't have a dedicated studio, like me and many others, I imagine, you won't want to leave it out for long periods of time, and although assembling and disassembling is annoying, the process is simple and relatively quick, no more so than a more expensive setup, and the disassembled size fits easily into the included storage case and stores easily with a small footprint, an essential requirement for me.
on October 7, 2014
Great little set for what it is- the case it comes with is better quality than expected.

What really makes this product shine, is that despite its low price- the company is responsive and stands behind it- one of the light socket heads arrived DOA- I emailed them late yesterday (Monday) about it and had a response in my inbox first thing today with a replacement part confirmation and tracking number. Couldn't have been quicker or easier.

The umbrellas and stands work well- the lights aren't super bright, but they are only 45 watt CFLs, and are nice for what they are. I definitely prefer Cowboys 5500K lights over other brands "daylight" bulbs at 6500K. Also, considering Cowboy sells their 45watt lights for $7-$11 each and you get three with this kit, that alone is about half the cost. So its like getting 3 stands, 2 umbrellas and case for $30.

These work really nice in concert with the Table Top kit and the 30 inch Photo soft box kit.
------
on May 10, 2014
80's song references aside this is a nifty little set. I use it for all the photos I take for articles I write on my website. My home is very dark and photo taking was always a problem. This set was recommended to me and I've been really happy with it. The two large stands are very easy to adjust.

The only problem I've had is the smaller light stand. It has very short legs and does not extend as tall as the others. The height does not bother me as you generally need a lower light in the mix but I find it is top heavy with the umbrella on it. The legs just are not long enough to make it stable so it tips over when you breath on it. I seldom use three lights for what I do so its not a big deal but I do wish the third stand was the same as the others. I love those ones. I'd give it 5 stars were it not for the runty stand.

UPDATE: June 13th 2014:
I've had this for a month now and used it regularly. The one stand that is smaller and shorter is VERY frustrating to work with. It tips over constantly. And I mean CONSTANTLY. It's pretty much useless in my opinion. It needed to be a full size stand. So I feel I paid for three stands and got only two that really work. That's a big deal despite it being a good price and the fact that I really love the other two stands. I had to dock it another star for this issue.