Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

CowboyStudio Photography & Video Portrait Umbrella Continuous Triple Lighting Kit
Style: triple kit|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on March 3, 2013
As a photographer with over 30 years experience, I can tell you that these lights are simply awesome. There have been many reviews from what I can only assume are drooling morons about the socket quality, the stands quality, the low light levels. Guess what? They are $60.00 bucks, not $1,500.00 like my main set!

PROS:
The Stands are of a thinner tubing than the $1,500 dollar variety, yes, and of a pot metal construction (not aircraft grade aluminum) with lower quality plastic clamps and adjusters (not machined and polished aluminum) HOWEVER... they are most certainly sturdy for light stands and absolutely useable for what I can see as a very long life (if you're not a tool!)

Also, the light fixtures themselves are very sturdy AND accommodate the included bulbs very well.

As this is a continuous light system and not strobes, I have used them for studio lighting along with 2 softboxes. The light level is strong and clean, with no flickers or other anomalies.

The light levels are steady and at the advertised rated output continuously.

The accompanying nylon bag is branded with Cowboy Studio's logo as with all of their products. The bag is really descent and holds the gear for transport properly and completely as it should.

CONS: None, for 60 dollars there is not a one. Even for $120.00 I would be very satisfied.

All in all, for 60 bucks, these are awesome and very much worth the money and will serve you well... unless you're a tool.
1515 comments| 418 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 14, 2015
This is a great starter kit for the home photographer/videographer, and I would highly recommend getting it if your budget is limited but you want to work with lighting. At first I had problems because the head pieces that came in the kit had defective metal rings, making it difficult for the bulbs to screw into the headpieces (I attached two pictures where you can see how the metal rings were busted up inside the socket or simply popped out of the socket). For one of the headpieces, the bulb screwed in and then did not want to come out. With the other two, the bulbs never screwed in all the way...they just kept spinning round and round. But don't worry about this issue! I contacted Cowboy Studio via Amazon, and they very quickly shipped me replacement head pieces (it took just 2-3 days after submitting my claim). The new headpieces have not had any problems. This kit is great, and Cowboy Studio was very responsive about sending replacement parts. I'm very happy with my purchase. The lights are nice and bright white, and very good for what I am doing shooting some photos and video at relatively close range indoors.
review imagereview image
on March 19, 2017
The poles on the umbrellas themselves bend easily, so make sure whoever is using them doesn't accidentally bend the bulb holder to much without paying attention to where the umbrella pole is. Common sense would prevent this, but common sense isn't quite as common as one would hope. ;) The bulbs work ok for product photography, but if you're wanting super bright light, you may want to buy the double bulb holders (can't think of what those are called right now) or buy brighter bulbs. I still much prefer natural daylight, but these work ok. I wouldn't say the light these offer is comparable to daylight, so keep that in mind when choosing bulbs. I bought this for photographing fine art, but have started using them only for product. Daylight is still number one.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 5, 2015
I am a part-time professional photographer and have owned this kit for three years now. Although this is not my main set up, I have used it quite a bit over the years and it is still holding up very well. Nowadays, I use it for product photography (to illuminate a light box), and it does the job very well. In the past, I have used it for newborn photography, and it worked, but keep in mind that you will absolutely have to replace the bulbs that come with the kit with brighter ones (I'd recommend 100 Watts ).

If you expect the highest-quality materials, you're going to be disappointed, but - for under $50 - this is a remarkable value. Although the plastic is rather cheap, the kit is sturdy. I have had no issues with any of that stands falling over and have used them on both carpet and hard surfaces. If you use them outdoors, you'll probably want to place some weight at the base to prevent them from tipping over in windy conditions, but that, for the most part, is true for any set.

The light stands are height-adjustable and have quite a bit of range, which makes them ideal for many different applications. Keep in mind that the lowest they will go is about 3 ft., so if you need them for applications that require lower height, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. The short stand is right around 2 ft. in its lowest position, but there is only one of those (unless you purchase additional).

I have had no issues with the sockets and they have accommodated various light bulbs over the years. The light output is continuous without any flickering or other defects. I'm currently using 100 Watt bulbs with them.

The carrying pouch that comes with the kit is also nice and convenient, and it is still holding up.

Overall, for the price, you can't beat this kit. If you use it as your main kit and constantly have to transport it, or if the stands are exposed to harsh conditions (drops, harsh weather, etc.), I am not sure what the durability would be, but if you use them moderately and don't abuse them, they will last you a long, long time.
on January 31, 2016
I did a quick demo and difference of the lighting kit, and a first impressions review if you're thinking of buying: YouTube.com/almafied and it's the first video
review image
on March 29, 2016
This is a great set for a beginning or small studio. I bought this for a public "photo lab" in one of the residence halls at my college as they need to take pictures of various projects throughout the year to compile portfolios and presentations. The stands are very light (which has its pros and cons), but they seem to be well made. The mini light stand for the direct light is very easy to tip over and we had to replace a light bulb because of that, so be cautious, but otherwise it is very easy to set up, get running, and use for portrait or object photos.
review image
on October 7, 2014
Great little set for what it is- the case it comes with is better quality than expected.

What really makes this product shine, is that despite its low price- the company is responsive and stands behind it- one of the light socket heads arrived DOA- I emailed them late yesterday (Monday) about it and had a response in my inbox first thing today with a replacement part confirmation and tracking number. Couldn't have been quicker or easier.

The umbrellas and stands work well- the lights aren't super bright, but they are only 45 watt CFLs, and are nice for what they are. I definitely prefer Cowboys 5500K lights over other brands "daylight" bulbs at 6500K. Also, considering Cowboy sells their 45watt lights for $7-$11 each and you get three with this kit, that alone is about half the cost. So its like getting 3 stands, 2 umbrellas and case for $30.

These work really nice in concert with the Table Top kit and the 30 inch Photo soft box kit.
------
on February 25, 2017
Works well for lighting, taking pictures of my LuLaRoe inventory. I've had it for 5 months now, and I have 2 main problems with it...(1) the single light without an umbrella falls over easily. I bumped it a few times and was able to catch it sometimes. However, each time it falls to the ground, the light bulbs have shattered. I realize that it's my fault that I knocked them over. But if that piece had a larger base, it would not knock over so easily. (2) On one of the umbrella lights, the on/off switch does not work anymore. It is always on, and I have to unplug it to turn it off.
I do like the carrying case, it's great for storage. Easy to set up and take down, but I'm in the process of looking for another lighting kit to replace this one.
on October 12, 2015
10/16/2015
Update. I contacted the company and told them about the faulty equipment. Literally, within 4 minutes of me verifying the purchase, they responded to me with the tracking information for my replacement. And they are sending it first class.

Things happen. Sometimes there are issues. But, with customer service like this, I couldn't help but come back in and upgrade my rating (from 4 to 5 stars) and leave additional feedback.

Thanks, Cowboy Studios.
---------------------
Nice. Sturdy. Decent quality. I was prepared to rate it 5 stars, but one of my lights does not turn on and off properly. I have to unscrew the bulb or unplug the light from the socket. The lighting quality is superb and gives me very professional results. I am very pleased with the way that this product works and with its overall value. The fact that one of the lights does not work properly concerns me. I have not contacted the company yet, so I am not sure what their customer service is like.
on January 15, 2012
I will be taking some onsite portraits and did not want to be constrained by available lighting (which in an office building is usually unflattering fluorescent light). Though the reviews are mixed, the price makes it a low risk decision. The kit arrived promptly very well packed (and shipping was free!). Each component is packed in a separate cardboard box, all of those boxes packed together in the zipped bag, the bag placed in a carton, and that carton inside another Amazon shipping box. I unpacked each item with the intent of saving the individual cartons, but decided just to save the styrofoam inserts and boxes for the light bulbs and the plastic sleeves for the white umbrellas (to keep them from getting soiled). The light stands, when collapsed, along with the umbrellas and bulbs, fit nicely inside the zipped handle bag. Though there were no directions or even a packing list, it was easy to figure out how to set it up.

Some reviewers have indicated that the build quality is "cheap"; however I found that everything works and fits well together. I would say that it is light weight and compact, not cheap and flimsy. Having said that, this is not designed for heavy duty, constant use or outdoor use (unless you use sandbags or weights to keep the stands from blowing over). I will take care when setting up, collapsing and stowing the equipment to extend the usable life. But at the price, if it lasts only 1 or 2 years, I can just get a new kit !

I may decide to upgrade the light bulbs with higher wattage after I've determined how functional the included bulbs are in different situations.