Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Style: triple kit|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,262 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,343 reviews
on March 3, 2013
As a photographer with over 30 years experience, I can tell you that these lights are simply awesome. There have been many reviews from what I can only assume are drooling morons about the socket quality, the stands quality, the low light levels. Guess what? They are $60.00 bucks, not $1,500.00 like my main set!

PROS:
The Stands are of a thinner tubing than the $1,500 dollar variety, yes, and of a pot metal construction (not aircraft grade aluminum) with lower quality plastic clamps and adjusters (not machined and polished aluminum) HOWEVER... they are most certainly sturdy for light stands and absolutely useable for what I can see as a very long life (if you're not a tool!)

Also, the light fixtures themselves are very sturdy AND accommodate the included bulbs very well.

As this is a continuous light system and not strobes, I have used them for studio lighting along with 2 softboxes. The light level is strong and clean, with no flickers or other anomalies.

The light levels are steady and at the advertised rated output continuously.

The accompanying nylon bag is branded with Cowboy Studio's logo as with all of their products. The bag is really descent and holds the gear for transport properly and completely as it should.

CONS: None, for 60 dollars there is not a one. Even for $120.00 I would be very satisfied.

All in all, for 60 bucks, these are awesome and very much worth the money and will serve you well... unless you're a tool.
1515 comments| 408 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2016
I ordered this light set for an indoor photo shoot. I was skeptical about the quality of the product, because of the price, but it surpassed my expectations. I travel with the set and set it up indoors for photo shoots. The size of the product packed up in the travel case is manageable, lightweight and easy to carry. It comes with two umbrella lights, a smaller light (3 stands all together), three light bulbs and a carrying case.

With the smaller light I aim it away from the subject and project it off a cheap poster board towards the subject. These are constant lights and it will get hot in a room fast, a fan is an extra bonus if you have one!

The only thing I recommend that you add to your purchase order is an extension cord or two as these cords are not that long. I also recommend that you keep ALL the product packaging (minus the shipping box) and take down the equipment and store it like you received it every time you use it. This is what I have been doing with it for over a year and I have not had to replace anything with it.
review image review image
on June 2, 2014
The light socket assembly that comes with the Cowboy Light Studio kit is defective. When you screw in the light bulb, the metal piece that is inside the socket, will come out as you tighten the light bulb. This happened to two of the three light sockets. I didn't tighten the third one very much, otherwise the metal piece would have came out.

Make sure to checkout the additional close up pictures of the metal ring coming out of the light socket.
review image review image review image review image
66 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2015
This is a great starter kit for the home photographer/videographer, and I would highly recommend getting it if your budget is limited but you want to work with lighting. At first I had problems because the head pieces that came in the kit had defective metal rings, making it difficult for the bulbs to screw into the headpieces (I attached two pictures where you can see how the metal rings were busted up inside the socket or simply popped out of the socket). For one of the headpieces, the bulb screwed in and then did not want to come out. With the other two, the bulbs never screwed in all the way...they just kept spinning round and round. But don't worry about this issue! I contacted Cowboy Studio via Amazon, and they very quickly shipped me replacement head pieces (it took just 2-3 days after submitting my claim). The new headpieces have not had any problems. This kit is great, and Cowboy Studio was very responsive about sending replacement parts. I'm very happy with my purchase. The lights are nice and bright white, and very good for what I am doing shooting some photos and video at relatively close range indoors.
review image review image
This is an AMAZING value considering what each piece would cost if you bought it separately! The stands alone are worth the price.

I don't shoot much video, so I don't use these very often. As such, I was very surprised when one of the bulbs stopped working after a handful of uses. I always store them in the foam inserts inside the original boxes, so they didn't get knocked around. It just stopped working.

All other pieces are holding up fine. I regularly use the case and stands for my regular photography work, which involves going on location to shoot headshots for business people.

Don't use the umbrellas much, as I prefer softboxes and reflective umbrellas. Nice to have them just in case, though.

45W CFLs sounds like a lot of light, but photography requires more light than most people realize. I was not surprised these required ISO 800 even in close quarters to get decent shutter speeds and aperture.
on March 19, 2017
The poles on the umbrellas themselves bend easily, so make sure whoever is using them doesn't accidentally bend the bulb holder to much without paying attention to where the umbrella pole is. Common sense would prevent this, but common sense isn't quite as common as one would hope. ;) The bulbs work ok for product photography, but if you're wanting super bright light, you may want to buy the double bulb holders (can't think of what those are called right now) or buy brighter bulbs. I still much prefer natural daylight, but these work ok. I wouldn't say the light these offer is comparable to daylight, so keep that in mind when choosing bulbs. I bought this for photographing fine art, but have started using them only for product. Daylight is still number one.
on January 31, 2016
I did a quick demo and difference of the lighting kit, and a first impressions review if you're thinking of buying: YouTube.com/almafied and it's the first video
review image
on March 29, 2016
This is a great set for a beginning or small studio. I bought this for a public "photo lab" in one of the residence halls at my college as they need to take pictures of various projects throughout the year to compile portfolios and presentations. The stands are very light (which has its pros and cons), but they seem to be well made. The mini light stand for the direct light is very easy to tip over and we had to replace a light bulb because of that, so be cautious, but otherwise it is very easy to set up, get running, and use for portrait or object photos.
review image
on May 10, 2014
80's song references aside this is a nifty little set. I use it for all the photos I take for articles I write on my website. My home is very dark and photo taking was always a problem. This set was recommended to me and I've been really happy with it. The two large stands are very easy to adjust.

The only problem I've had is the smaller light stand. It has very short legs and does not extend as tall as the others. The height does not bother me as you generally need a lower light in the mix but I find it is top heavy with the umbrella on it. The legs just are not long enough to make it stable so it tips over when you breath on it. I seldom use three lights for what I do so its not a big deal but I do wish the third stand was the same as the others. I love those ones. I'd give it 5 stars were it not for the runty stand.

UPDATE: June 13th 2014:
I've had this for a month now and used it regularly. The one stand that is smaller and shorter is VERY frustrating to work with. It tips over constantly. And I mean CONSTANTLY. It's pretty much useless in my opinion. It needed to be a full size stand. So I feel I paid for three stands and got only two that really work. That's a big deal despite it being a good price and the fact that I really love the other two stands. I had to dock it another star for this issue.
on January 15, 2012
I will be taking some onsite portraits and did not want to be constrained by available lighting (which in an office building is usually unflattering fluorescent light). Though the reviews are mixed, the price makes it a low risk decision. The kit arrived promptly very well packed (and shipping was free!). Each component is packed in a separate cardboard box, all of those boxes packed together in the zipped bag, the bag placed in a carton, and that carton inside another Amazon shipping box. I unpacked each item with the intent of saving the individual cartons, but decided just to save the styrofoam inserts and boxes for the light bulbs and the plastic sleeves for the white umbrellas (to keep them from getting soiled). The light stands, when collapsed, along with the umbrellas and bulbs, fit nicely inside the zipped handle bag. Though there were no directions or even a packing list, it was easy to figure out how to set it up.

Some reviewers have indicated that the build quality is "cheap"; however I found that everything works and fits well together. I would say that it is light weight and compact, not cheap and flimsy. Having said that, this is not designed for heavy duty, constant use or outdoor use (unless you use sandbags or weights to keep the stands from blowing over). I will take care when setting up, collapsing and stowing the equipment to extend the usable life. But at the price, if it lasts only 1 or 2 years, I can just get a new kit !

I may decide to upgrade the light bulbs with higher wattage after I've determined how functional the included bulbs are in different situations.