Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Craft-a-Doodle: 75 Creative Exercises from 18 Artists
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 17, 2013
I jumped at the chance to review Craft-a-Doodle, the new book by Jenny Doh of Crescendoh Studios. I had just recently purchased another book of hers, Creative Lettering, which is also well done. Her instructional craft books have this great way of communicating techniques as accessible skills that are easy to pick up and practice. Just grab a pen and paper, then give your inner art critic the day off so you can have fun creating whatever comes to mind.

Craft-a-Doodle's exercises are engagingly worded and easy to follow. Just the photos alone will be enough to set kids' imaginations on fire, whether or not they can read the directions. The design of the book really emphasizes the relaxed but attractive aesthetic that will appeal more to the hobbyist than the fine artist, and I don't mean that as a bad thing. The lack of intimidation can be really freeing for both novice and expert draftspeople.

The great variations among the exercises will make this a cool tool for getting the creative juices flowing, particularly for people like me who hold back from creating for fear of making mistakes. In addition to the 75 exercises, the artists added more ideas for changing up their methods and producing even more diverse results than they show in the book.

This book manages to balance instruction and inspiration really well, making it practical as well as motivational. Particularly for any entrepreneur wannabes, Doh's compiled lessons capture that twee visual quality that is so popular on handmade shopping sites like Etsy. Just beware of copying anything outright and selling it; emulate the exercises to shape your own style.

*I received this book free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book. Cross-posted at Read Now Sleep Later and Clever Bee
on August 28, 2013
Are you a doodler? Do you find a blank page an inspiration for a dot, line or squiggle? If so, then grab a piece of paper and a favorite doodling instrument. Craft-a-Doodle has 75 creative exercises from 18 artist to help you get started. If you are an avid doodler or just a beginner there is something special here for you.

Each doodle has a picture sample, a list of what you will need, instructions and tips. Of course, you'll need to bring your own imagination and don't forget those creative juices. Readers can create flower sprays, hearts that look like a folk art garden, flocks of birds, people standing and so much more. My favorites are the doodles on the pages of an old book. What a great way to re-purpose and create art all at the same time.

Artist Cynthia Shaffer shares how to doodle letters on old pages of books and she also shares how to make lines look whimsical by creating a doodle dress that depicts the era of an old book. Other artists include Hanna Anderson, Julie Armbruster, Flora Chang and Jennifer Taylor, to name a few.

Doodling is very contagious and we've all been caught doing it. Some exercises are so simple and others complex, but yet leave plenty of room for your own creativity. Don't think that you are limited to just paper for your doodles, readers will learn how to doodle on rocks, with ink splatters and even into works of embroidery.

Doh has put together an appealing can do book for anyone looking for a simple artistic escape. The ideas presented will inspire and wow anyone with a pencil. Moms can use this tool to keep little ones quietly creating at least long enough to get some other things done. Teachers can use this tool to introduce how to incorporate lines and circles into a masterpiece.
on February 12, 2014
LOVE this!!! I have been doing crafts my whole life and scrapbooking & paper crafts steadily for the last 10+ years, but I have never felt comfortable drawing freehand--at ALL! The extent of my 'drawing' included only hearts & smiley faces. After a milestone birthday last month, I decided to change that. This book is exactly what I needed! Clear instructions and fun (but not overwhelming) exercises are enough to make me feel more comfortable with drawing freehand.

If you already do some drawing, this is probably NOT the book for you. On the other hand, if a stick figure is the extent of your drawing trousseau and you're wanting to do more, then this might be what youre looking for.
on March 19, 2014
This is one of the most comprehensive books on doodling that I've found. It covers everything from very simple line designs to highly intricate full page designs. Most show you how to start the basic design and then leave you free to fill in the details as you see fit. In this way the book is more about inspiring your inner artist than how to copy someone else's design. There are fantasy flowers, cartoon-like characters, owls and other birds, ideas to create a visual diary, make frames for words or quotes and much more. There are also a few hints on how to work around a drawing that didn't quite work the way you planned.

Another plus for this book is that the designs come from numerous different artists. I liked this aspect because it ensures artistic ideas from a variety of perspectives. When a book contains only one artist's work it may have variety, but each design still reflects only that artist's way of seeing and drawing.

Every time I pick up the book I see 8-10 more ideas I hope to try! Not only more than enough different designs, but many also have numerous variations on the theme. In other words this book is well worth the price for all that it offers. I have several books on doodle art and this is my absolute favorite!
on August 14, 2013
Lots of great ideas that seem easy to follow and complete. I wanted something I could do quickly.. no long term projects.
on November 6, 2013
If you have a creative or crafty child, this book is perfect! Even if you are the crafty type, you would most likely enjoy the exercises in this book. There are 75 exercises in all, and each one is unique. Several different artists contributed to the book, so styles and ideas are widely varied.

I liked some styles and exercises better than other ones. Not every exercise appealed to me, but the beauty of having so many artists contribute is that there will most likely be something for everyone. This book is a great resource for getting those creative juices flowing and switching into right brain mode. It is a lot of fun to take the doodle prompt and put an individual touch to it.

This book is definitely recommended for anyone artistic! It would make a really fun Christmas or birthday gift.
on June 1, 2016
I LOVE this book even more than I expected. It is super fun and has some great exercises that definitely go beyond doodling, especially for an amateur artist like myself and my kiddos. I haven't done a lot of them yet since it's new but my boys and I did one together, splatter doodles by Gemma Correll. I am excited to try all of them. Some with my boys and some just for my own artistic expression. A few of my favorite artists included in the book, in addition to Correll, are Cori Dantini, Flora Chang, Cynthia Shaffer and so many more. The book itself is in excellent condition, as well.
on October 22, 2013
Craft-a-Doodle: 75 Creative Exercises From 18 Artists by Jenny Doh is a book that gives ideas and instruction on how to enhance some of those aimless scribbles that we all tend to do while theoretically occupied elsewhere. The charming illustrations give hints about how to draw quirky figures and combine them into portraits, decorations for edging papers or art to be framed. There are step by step instructions that are easy to follow and a great variety of exercises to stimulate one’s creative ideas.

It’s always great to find a book that encourages one to have fun and this one certainly makes a person want to grab a blank sheet of paper and have a great time. I have always been a doodler but have had a fairly limited of primitive images that I tend to use and this book encouraged me to get beyond the ‘seagulls at a distance’ scribblings. I was amazed to discover what difference little lines can make when one knows where to put them. It’s just fun to play with making different types of eyes and then learn how to add little details to make different expressions. The other contributions that encourage one to combine drawings into larger pictures or make borders prompt one to create fanciful drawings without looking for perfection. A great book for stimulating creativity.