Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon ballerss3 ballerss3  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 41 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 95 reviews
on July 22, 2016
After impressive efforts with "Sing The Sorrow" and "Decemberunderground," AFI unfortunately retreated a step back with "Crash Love." Whereas the former two albums had a great blend of alternative/punk/hardcore rock mixed in with electronic elements, "Crash Love" is more of a meat and potatoes effort that is too straightforward at times. AFI has previously set itself apart from others by blending many dynamic layers together. However they're stripped some of that away on "Crash Love," making for a less intriguing listen overall. It seems like Puget and Havok used all their best electronic ideas for their debut Blaqk Audio album and then made "Crash Love" a more middle-of-the-road rock album. Instead, those electronic could've been applied toward this record along the lines of "Decemberunderground."

Nevertheless, "Crash Love" starts off with a solid 1-2-3 combo, coming hot out of the gate with Puget's ringing intro riff on "Torch Song" and a punchy chorus on "Beautiful Thieves" before transitioning into a more scaled back, but emotionally compelling and melodic "End Transmission." This is AFI at its most effective and creative, blending strong vocals with colorful guitar and seamlessly switching from beefy rhythms to quieter moments. And later on, "Sacrilege" keeps the energy up, incorporating some old school AFI with newer rock flourishes.

However, these moments are not enough to hold up through the rest of the album. "Medicate" seems like an effort to create a "Miss Murder" part 2 radio-friendly single that with the exception of Puget's snazzy solo, comes off a little flat. Nothing bad, but nothing particularly memorable. Songs like "Okay, I Feel Better Now" and "It Was Mine" meander and fail to grab attention or inspire. As stated previously, much of the album is too meat and potatoes and could've greatly benefited from additional electro/ambient textures.

Davey's lyrics have also dipped a bit in spots, especially on cuts like "I Am Trying Very Hard To Be Here" with a cheesy chorus ("Flash, flash, car crash, we're no fixtures ... quick now, quick, take our picture). It appears Havok tried to be a bit more straightforward in his lyrics this go around, but it's less thought provoking compared to past efforts.

Ultimately, there are a few good tunes, but in the grander scheme of AFI's catalog, "Crash Love" doesn't stand tall in the same regard as "Sing The Sorrow" or "Decemberunderground."
on October 8, 2009
I have never disliked a single release by AFI and that trend will at least continue at a minimum up to their next album because I think this new album is absolutely brilliant! Unlike all other AFI albums this album focuses mainly on personal and romantic relationships on almost every single track and even features a song about Davey's opinion on organized religion (Sacrilege), and we even get to find out who Davey's adolescent celebrity crush was (Veronica Sawyer Smokes) and it certainly is no surprise to find out who it was because Davey used a quote from one of her movies back on the Art of Drowning ("My whole life is a dark room, one big dark room"), I'll let you guess who that actress is, now back to the album! This album, as other reviewers have already mentioned, features no screaming vocals (except on the bonus track "Fainting Spells"! The lack of aggressive/angry vocals does give the album a less aggressive feel than pretty much every other AFI album, but what it lacks in the aggression department it more than makes up for it in the melody and songwriting department because every track is incredibly melodic and fantastically written! The choruses on the album are the general highlight of the album for me, every song has a big, melodic, extremely memorable chorus with, as always, great and intelligent lyrics! The lyrics are a bit more straighforward on this release and less cryptic than they usually are, so it is a bit different, but no less effective!

The album opens with "Torch Song", which is actually one of the heavier songs on the album with very abrasive drums and bass and great solos and leads by guitarist Jade Puget, this album features the best guitar work of Jade's career in my opinion! The song has a somewhat similar feel to Sing the Sorrow-era AFI, and is definitely one of the better songs on the album . "Beautiful Thieves" is one of the songs that will be released as a single in the near future, and it is simply a great song. It opens up with a hard and building bass line by Hunter and then leads into the ear orgasming melody of the chorus, in which Davey sings, "If we run this light, take a little life, no one will care at all. We can burn it and leave, for we are the beautiful thieves, no one suspects at all." The song, as many of the songs are not only about romance, but death as well, the next track follows a similar lyrical pattern. "End Transmission" is a very new-wave and goth inspired song, with music heavily influenced by the Cure, The Smiths, Morrissey, etc. The guitar work by Jade, as the product description describes, sounds very Smiths-esque. The song is one of the slower and more mellow tracks on the album, and the highlight of the song has to be Jade's guitar work, which is truly beautiful on this song, the song has an 80's feel, and is definitely one of the best tracks on the album! Davey's lyrics and vocals are some of his best from the whole album on this track.

"Too Shy to Scream" is definitely one of the more upbeat songs on the album and features basically a swing inspired drum beat and stop-start guitar work by Jade which leads into a very melodic and somewhat cliche' chorus about being completely infatuated by somebody, this is definitely a good song, but probably the only song on the album that didn't blow me away. "Veronica Sawyer Smokes" is easily one of the best songs on this album, and probably one of the best that AFI has wrote since Sing the Sorrow. It is about Davey's adolescent infatuation with Winona Ryder and how he was eventually disillusioned by her! The song is less than 3 minutes long and is very addictive, it has a somewhat mellow beat like "End Transmission", but has a very optimistic quality to it, to me this song is flawless! "Okay, I Feel Better Now" starts out very slow, but keeps building and building until it really picks up with an amazing chorus, the song seems at least somewhat influenced by U2. The outro of the song may be the higlight as the song reaches it's climax!

"Medicate" is definitely one of the fastest and upbeat songs on the album, and obviously is incredibly catchy (they chose it as the first single), and features some incredible guitar work by Jade. It showcases the fact that AFI were once one of the best punk rock bands in the world! The breakdown a little past the middle of the song is one of the highlights of the album, with the very depressing (albeit somewhat cliche') lyrics by Davey with music to match, "I feel nothing at all"! Then the song erupts into all out blistering rock with an amazing solo by Jade to end the song! "I Am Trying Very Hard To Be Here" is about celebrities and Hollywood and is another of the more upbeat and faster songs on the album and actually features a very punk rock inspired breakdown towards the end of the song, and the chorus sounds very similar to something on Decemberunderground! "Sacrilege" is a song that is basically about Davey's opinion on religion. It is definitely one of the standouts on the album. This may be the lyrical highlight for Davey on the album as he speaks about the problems that religion has caused the world! The song is very fast and has some incredible hooks thoughout the song that grab you and don't let you go!

"Darling I Want to Destroy You" may be destined for the top of the rock radio charts because it is simply one of the most melodic songs I have ever heard, and it is definitely one of my favorites from the album. The huge chorus is just flat-out amazing and has had me singing it over and over since I first got the album over a week ago! The vocals and lyrics give you the feel of a high school dance or something of that nature as Davey sings about meeting someone in a setting like that and beforehand planning to eventually break their heart once they fall for you! "Cold Hands" is another of the faster and harder rocking songs on the album and doesn't really slow down until the chorus when Davey sings about being fed up with your lover and/or breaking up. The song is another of the main highlights of the album, and definitely one of my favorites. "It Was Mine" is the slowest and most depressing song on the album, which seems to be about the horrible feeling of heartbreak and knowing that the relationship that meant everything to you is now over - forever! It is the probably the biggest outlier of the album and doesn't really sound like the rest of the album. The group chant of "all we love goes away" toward the end of the songs reminds me of the Beatles or Queen!

The bonus songs are just as good as the real album. "Fainting Spells" is a B-side from Decemberunderground and is the only song to feature some screaming vocals by Davey, and is a hard rocker that starts out with Davey singing accompanied only by an acoustic guitar and then when the chorus comes in the song erupts into pure hard rock and Davey screaming very aggressively! There is also the most evil sounding bass breakdown I have ever heard on this song, it's effing awesome from like 2:15-2:40! "We've Got the Knife" is a B-side from the Crash Love sessions and starts out kind of slow and boring, but the song picks up for the bridge and chorus, and the guitar work follows suit becoming very loud after the verses! Besides the slow verses, the song is just great, and like the whole Crash Love album is features undeniable melody and great songwriting. "Where We Used to Play" is kind of similar to "We've Got the Knife" because it starts out a little bit slow, and then erupts into what may have been the best chorus on the whole Crash Love album, but for some reason was taken off of the album. This is one of the best songs on the whole album by far, with just a beautiful chorus that reminds me of "Days of the Phoenix" due to the lyrical content of memories and childhood! This song is brilliant. "100 Words" was a B-Side from Sing the Sorrow and is a slower track and starts out almost exactly like "This Time Imperfect" and is just as beautiful and I can't believe that this and these other songs on the bonus disk are B-Sides because they are all excellent songs!

So, overall this album is truly excellent. The album is very addictive and repeated listens reveal more and more intricacies that make you love it more! For some people, you will have to listen to the album many times for the true nature of these songs to be revealed. There are no bad songs on either the album or the bonus disk! This is AFI's most melodic album by far, and also the least aggressive, but it is all the better for it! AFI never look back and try to retread the past, and this album is no different, they have evolved and sound just as good as ever! I recommend this album to all AFI fans who liked Art of Drowning, Sing the Sorrow, and Decemberunderground! To all the punk fans who only like the earlier and middle AFI albums - DO NOT BUY THIS, if you only like punk rock you will not like this album! I love all AFI albums, and this is a perfect addition to their catalogue, stop reading this and go buy the album, you won't be disappointed!
55 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2017
Excellent album! Beautiful Melodies!
on March 27, 2013
I don't remember what I expected when I first picked this CD up, so I'm not sure how any expectations I might have had could have influenced how I ended up feeling about the music. I don't listen to a lot of AFI, so I don't know how Crash Love compares to anything else they've done. In fact - and I'm not sure whether this is good or bad - this is their first album I've listened to. All I know is this: whatever I expected in the beginning, I wouldn't have thought that this could have been so very beautiful. It is truly beautiful to me, and, not knowing all that much about them, I'm not partial towards AFI, so I'm not saying this out of any love for them. No. I say this because I mean it. This is a wonderful album.
on February 20, 2010
I love this CD! I am reviewing this purely from a music lover's perspective. I am not a die hard AFI fan who has followed their every move. The only other AFI Cd I own is Decemberunderground (which I also love). This CD has an amazing feel to it that makes it suitable for any mood you are in. If you are in a brooding, unhappy mood you can listen to this CD. If you are in a happy, carefree mood with the windows rolled down and the wind in your hair you can listen to this CD. If you are sleepy and want something to fall asleep to, listen to this CD (although this one might not work for everyone, lol).

My favorite songs off of this are End Transmission, Cold Hands, Torch Song, and Medicate. And those are just the absolute favorite, listen to them all the time, made it into my Top 100 most played songs playlist, kind of songs. The rest of them are great too!! I could seriously go on and on but I think that says it all. If you like this genre of music, or if you liked Decemberunderground, then go for this CD. It is truly amazing.
on February 15, 2014
While I wasn't a fan of Medicate the first handful of times I heard it on the radio, I still bought the album and I actually like it a lot overall. I especially love the guitar on track one. I was always a fan of their older punk stuff though, so I really miss the screaming that is completely absent from this album. Still great though and I recommend it for any old AFI fans. It follows the progression of where their music has gone over the past 10+ years.
on December 12, 2015
I had it sent to another address, since it is a gift. My sister said it arrived. It won't be opened until Dec. 25th, but I am sure my other sister will love it.
on October 23, 2009
Every so often, an album comes around that one can listen to all the way through multiple times without coming to any major conclusions about any single song. By the time one has listened to the album about ten times all the way through, it becomes clear that the reason no single track really stands out is because the whole album is solidly superb. This is one of those albums.

1. Torch Song: 10/10. This is probably the best opener ever to an A.F.I. album, though the competition really isn't that fierce. For one thing, this is an actual song. It's a good one, great opening song pace.
2. Beautiful Thieves: 9/10. It's catchier and more memorable than "Torch Song" and a great second track. I'm deducting one point because it lags toward the end.
3. End Transmission: 8/10. The lyrics are quite striking here, not sure if they're intended to be sexual, but they're memorable. The music portion isn't quite as strong though.
4. Too Shy to Scream: 8/10. The synth clapping here is very catchy without being overdone, another well produced song.
5. Veronica Sawyer Smokes: 6/10. This is probably one of the weaker tracks, doesn't hold together so well melodically. I do appreciate the lyrics, how girlfriends/boyfriends can get you smoking when you wouldn't otherwise, fits in perfectly with the theme of the album.
6. Okay, I Feel Better Now: 10/10. This is probably my favorite song on the album. Everything about this song is great, very dark and heavy.
7. Medicate: 9/10. This is one of the more memorable tracks, simple and catchy chorus that epitomizes the album's theme. It loses a point for cutting itself off in the middle, kind of jarring.
8. I Am Trying Very Hard to Be Here: 7/10. This one is too poppy for my taste, sounds too much like Fallout Boy, but not bad otherwise.
9. Sacrilege: 6/10. This is probably the most forgettable song on the album. It's not that I dislike it, but it feels like filler.
10. Darling, I Want to Destroy You: 8/10. This one took a while to grow on me. I still don't like the distortion on the vocals, but it doesn't ruin the song.
11. Cold Hands: 10/10. Here's another song that works really well, a really complex one with a lot to offer on repeated listens. The backing music and vocals change slightly throughout.
12. It Was Mine: 10/10. This song is everything "Endlessly, She Said" could've been. It's similar in structure, but it's actually good, very good, also the best song to close the album.

Deluxe Edition Bonus Disc Tracks
1. Fainting Spells: 8/10. Here's a unique one. The verses are slow and acoustic, but the chorus is shouting and fierce. It won't be everyone's cup of tea.
2. We've Got the Knife: 8/10. I'm not sure exactly why this song is so likeable, but it is. It's mischievous.
3. Where We Used to Play: 10/10. This is a great mood song that would fit on "The Art of Drowning" or "Sing the Sorrow." It's great to hear it here.
4. 100 Words: 6/10. This one drags a lot and doesn't hold together very well. It's pretty clear why it was a B-side.

It's a common creed among fans that no single A.F.I. album sounds quite like the last, and this one is no exception. For the first time, A.F.I. has truly pulled off a concept album, and it's one heck of a unique and unexpected concept: the many ways in which relationships drive us to destruction. The lyrics on this album are probably better (or more mature) than those on any previous album. Davey's vocals and Jade Puget's guitar don't sound as impressive as they have on previous albums, but the songs hold together better. They don't sound like they're fighting for the audience's attention. I'd still call this my second favorite to "The Art of Drowning," or possibly third favorite, but it's a very good album for its own reasons.
on December 23, 2016
Amazing. One of my top 3 favorite AFI albums.
on February 15, 2017
Love, love, love it !!!!!!!