Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair: The True-Life Misadventures of a 30-Something Who Learned to Knit After He Split
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on October 25, 2007
Lauri Perry writes about the first year after her husband leaves with her usual humor, but also with great perception and poignancy. This book is not about her cats nor knitting (though there are patterns included), it is about her survival and growth during this traumatic year. It is very insightful and touching. This is an easy, casual read, but with surprising depth.
on January 4, 2013
Helpful to know that someone else goes through these things. Helpful to hear how coming out the other side of a sad, drear life can be pretty good. Sometimes funny. In balance, looking back, pretty sad. It was an OK read, kept me company, but not really inspiring.
on April 11, 2012
I really enjoyed this book. I laughed, I cried and I could see myself in some of those very situations. I think the most important part of her book was her dawning realization about finding new friends and interests and how friendship is the glue that holds our lives all together. I have already recommended the book to some of my crazy friends.
on September 6, 2013
This book, in so many places, is laugh out loud funny. Reading about what pulled this woman out of her pity-party isn't depressing but mostly amusing. This one will resonate well among those readers who have also gone through a divorce not of thier choosing. But trust me, you don't have to be divorced to enjoy this read. About the time you want to just shake her silly, tell her to get a grip - he didn't seem like all that great shakes of a husband anyway and she didn't really, deep down, appear to be all that happy with him either -she starts to come back to life. There must always be a line to latch on to, something to help pull someone who has been felled by life up out of that pity-hole, and in her case it turned out to be knitting. So, in addition to a story that for the most part is just plain funny - in spite of her wallowing in her misery to the point where she about manages to drown in a vat of wine - there are some cool knitting patterns, too. In fact, I'm not any great shakes as a knitter, but I'm going to try a few of them myself. This is well written and well worth your purchase. Oh yes...buy it both as a reminder that we are all in charge of our own fate, no matter what life pours on us - but also for the knitting patterns that are well crafted and look like fun.
VINE VOICEon June 5, 2013
Drunk, Divorced & Covered in Cat Hair, by Laurie Perry, is the true story of how a woman in her early 30's survived a divorce and moved on, learning to knit and love her life again. I didn't think the first part of the book was well-written, as it kind of repeated the same story over and over....Charlie, her husband, left her. She had 4 cats and drank a lot of wine. The first half of the book mainly focuses on her divorce, or separation, because the divorce took about a year.

It was pretty obvious her husband was seeing someone else, as he left her without a good explanation and didn't want to talk about it. She didn't even know where he went. Duh. Another woman.

The writing was good enough that I plugged through, stuck with it, because it was entertaining enough, if not repetitive. But the second half of the book picks up considerably. The author becomes more fun. Parts actually had me laughing out loud. The parts about dating and prepping for dating were good. Real funny stuff. The knitting parts take a real backseat, which is good, because those parts were pretty dull to me.

There are some knitting "recipes" in the back of the book. I'm not interested in that. Overall, for the low price, this is an easy book to read. A great beach-vacation book. It's good for anyone trying to get over a relationship, too, as the author makes some good points in that area. I recommend it.
on October 19, 2007
Lots has already been written on the contents of this book - but I just had to add my two cents.

Witty, funny and uplifting (most of the time). I enjoyed the author's frankness and honesty and I always suspected that life would be okay in the end for her and the cats.

I liked this story because it closely resembles what I am going through right now - and reading and knitting have often been my saviors -

Thank you for such a great memoir.
on September 8, 2011
Crazy Aunt Pearl is really a smart, savy young professional who learned to knit as a survival tool. She didn't mean to, didn't know where it would lead, but discovered that knitting is, or can be, a form of meditation. She also exploded the misconception that knitting is only for grannies and pregnant women. Through knitting and the people she met through it, she was able to reevaluate her life, discover that there is life after divorce. Even if you aren't a knitter, or don't want to learn, this is a good book to get through rough times.
on November 7, 2007
Laurie came to grips with who she is and how she got to be drunk, divorced and covered in cat hair. She made time to feel the suffering, to grieve the losses and gain insights into her personality and needs. Her blog is a place to go for uplift. Even in the sad times, Laurie knows the art of black humor. It's good for her and the many women who read her. Like the wine she is fond of, Laurie's writing and experience will improve with age. She exhibits amazing capability for growth and generosity of spirit. For all that Laurie self identifies as a daughter of the South, she manages to be everyone's daughter, sister, best friend. I think the book is a teeny tad self conscious, but as she gains confidence we can expect a stronger voice. It's a voice with something to say about personal responsibility and growth even when you're scared to death. You can climb out of that hand basket now Purl, you have arrived!
on February 22, 2008
I recommended the authors knitting blog to a friend of mine. My friend surprised me by buying the book and having it sent to me. It was a great weekend read. I think anyone who's gone thru a breakup can relate to this book and have a great laugh too.
on March 24, 2014
I work with alcoholics and it makes for a great lesson on what to do to start over again. Get rid of all the old stuff. Very difficult for some.THANKS