Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 130 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 180 reviews
on September 28, 2014
It helped me deal with realizing I have cancer. I am a 53 year old fitness instructor that takes very good care of my body. I was just adjusting to the loss of my husband 4 years ago and wham! So I was lost.....the book helped. I like changing the spelling I now spell it"kanser " to take away the power and I have changed my diet to vegan and I have treatments Monday through Friday so I have a no kanser on weekend rule. I like that it helped me feel that I have gained some control over my kanser. Thanks Kris.....best of luck to you.
VINE VOICEon February 10, 2011
This was an impulse download for me. Sometime after my diagnoses I was surfing the free kindle books on Amazon and ran across this one. I thought why not. I'm sure I'll be adding lots of books on cancer to my to be read pile.

There were many things I liked about this book. There were some things I didn't.

First, I think there must of have been some glitch when transferring it from a print book to an e-book. The formatting was off and that was sometimes distracting. I mention this, because for some readers this can be a big distraction and keep a reader from finishing a book.

Second, some of the tips Carr offers are just not practical for many women. Not all women diagnosed with cancer have the financial means to take a "cancervation", shop at Whole Foods or attend the retreats around the country - and many women will not have the means to travel across the country searching for the right treatment plan. (Though I do think that it is important to get more than one opinion and to search for the right fit on medical care.)

Some of the reviews I've read of this book have criticized the book for making cancer seem more fun than it is. I thought the point Carr was making is that cancer is not fun, it's devastating, but that doesn't mean you have to let it define you. You have to choose how you're going to fight it. I think she's encouraging you take as much control as you can. Yes, cancer is going to make you feel like something scraped off the bottom of cattle rancher's boot, but part of fighting the cancer is fighting that feeling. Maybe Carr's tips are not practical for everyone, but they are worth considering.

I liked the irreverent approach Carr took towards fighting her cancer. I don't think she was making light of it at all. Carr refuses to let cancer OWN her. She fights it with laughter and a fierceness I rather admire. Even if your cancer is as "innocent" as mine, it's often hard to find a reason to laugh. Carr's book made me laugh. It made cry sometimes. It made me think. It made me appreciate the many good things I still have in my life.

For me, this book worked. However, you must realize that this is the story of a cancer survivor (Carr's cancer will never be cured. The best she can hope for is that it will stay dormant.) It's not a medical how to book or a clinical study. The Susan G. Komen for the Cure encourages cancer patients to share their stories. What works for Carr might not work for you, but it might work for the next person who reads her story. Or just maybe there is one thing in Carr's book that will be helpful for you. It's worth giving her book a try. If you find her approach too irreverent or just not what you are looking for you don't have to finish the book.

I needed to hear the story of someone who is doing her best to kick cancer's butt and not let it be the other way around. Even though there is no cure for Carr's cancer, Carr seems to be winning the overall battle. (And yes, once I finished the book I googled her to see if she was still alive. You can find out more about her by visiting her website.)

It's not a medical resource - it's an account of what worked for one woman and her group of friends. If you read this book, take what you find useful and disregard the rest.

A side note: Carr also made a documentary for the Learning Channel. The documentary was supposed to be based on the book. I checked the DVD out from the library, but found for some reason that Carr's vibrance that bursts forth in the book, somehow didn't make the transfer to film. The documentary was rather disjointed. I think you will get more from reading the book than watching the film.
on July 23, 2017
Unfortunately, I've given this to several people I know who have been diagnosed with cancer. I am happy to know that there is a clever, insightful book I can give to help them as they begin to navigate their diagnosis. This was given to me and was a tremendous help. I'm so thankful for this book!
on September 18, 2016
This book was recommended to me by a friend who has since died from cancer, when my own daughter in law was diagnosed. I have since purchased several copies to friends who have been diagnosed. It is upbeat, helpful, interesting and funny. Although I wish no one ever had the need to read it, I recommend it to anyone who encounter cancer in their life.
on May 31, 2013
I found this book very enjoyable and inspiring. I do not have cancer, at least as far as I know, but this book doesn't have to be read by those with cancer. For me it served as a guide on how to eat and live healthily to give myself the best chance of a long life without cancer.
Kris Carr, an actress and photographer, visited a doctor in her early twenties, only to find out that her liver "looked like swiss cheese." She had a rare form of cancer, which was considered terminal and inoperable. She immediately sprung into action and started to do all she could to research a healthier way of life, and is still alive and kicking ten years later, still living with the cancer, but keeping it at bay with her diet and exercise.
This book provided me with some good tips on eating properly and living a healthy life. I think anyone could benefit from reading this book, cancer or no cancer.
on April 20, 2015
Absolutely Fabulous book!!! I recently asked a friend of mine who is currently surviving brain cancer with style, class and an excellent outlook on life, what she felt was the most important thing or advice she received that helped her through the tough times. She told me that this book changed her life! I bought it to give to another friend who recently has gone through chemo and radiation. Before I passed it on, I read through most of the book. WOW! Very inspiring even for those who don't have cancer. In fact, I highly recommend this book for those who have a friend or family member with cancer. It's very insightful. Thank you Kris Carr for sharing your thoughts with all of us!!!
on July 16, 2017
Best gift to give a friend who has found out they have Cancer....one was given to me and it was SO encouraging and helpful...This one was for another friend and I will keep buying them for others.....wish none of us needed it, but it is an amazing uplifting read when cancer hits.
on July 3, 2016
Such a great read and a must have if you have been recently diagnosed with cancer. Kris Carr gives the real tips I needed and has helped me frame my experience in a positive way that I didn't think possible previously. I really appreciate her writing and the insight she shares through her Crazy Sexy series.
on April 22, 2017
I read this book when I got cancer. Now I buy it for everyone I know who is fighting that battle. Full of humor, hope and positivity, this book helps survivors find ways to take control of their lives and find the silver lining on the dark cloud that is cancer.
on February 28, 2015
I bought this book as well as the diet book that goes along with it for my best friend and adopted little sister. She can not stop talking about how great it is, how much like what she experiences it is. I would highly recommend this book for everyone who is battling cancer and I am going to buy one for myself so I can understand too.