Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 360 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 408 reviews
Crazy Sexy Kitchen is a gorgeous book simply packed with information. The recipes are well written and the photography beautiful. I am familiar with some of the chefs, having been educated at the Natural Epicurean in Austin, which is where the headquarters of Whole Foods is located at. As a trained chef, I think these are fabulous recipes that will be amazing. I plan to cook my way through the book (as soon as I break down and buy a dehydrator for some of the recipes that is). My daughter had just asked how I would make a vegan clam chowder, and the recipe in this book is even better than what I came up with. I am also a cancer survivor, so have a very real interest in eating for better health. The sections on Lifestyle and Philosophy, Preparation, and Kitchen Know-How that are in front of the 150 recipes give the reader an excellent natural foods education in themselves.

The layout, font, design, and photography is gorgeous. I am very familiar with standard annotations to recipes, GF for Gluten-Free, V for Vegan, etc. but I had to go find the index to figure out what a '1 GF SF KF Q' designation was for example. Once you see what all the abbreviations mean, it is easy to remember them however.

So for a natural foods chef, or a chef that wants to learn more about natural foods cooking, this is a fabulous resource. So many books on 'healthy cooking' including some from the Culinary Institute of America seem to think that means cutting down on salt and fat, but leaving in the white flour, sugar, and all the rest. If you are a dedicated and fearless cook, this is also a fabulous resource. My only concern is that 'normal' people who work all day, run their kids around, and have to get dinner on the table fast that everyone will eat might be frustrated. You really do need something like a Vitamix to do a lot of smoothies. A spiralizer is very helpful for things like the raw zucchini pasta, and a dehydrator is necessary for the Kale chips. Many of the ingredients will not be familiar to a large number of people, for example the seaweeds. Access to a great grocery store is also a must, so that you can find the special ingredients as well as a large number of organics. There are still many towns where a really good natural foods store is lacking. As with many really great recipes, there are layers of flavor that result from sauces, vegan cheeses, and vegan nut milks that must be made. I would really love to see a similar book with many more recipes that people could easily make who don't even like to cook, but want to be healthy.

A recent article on Mercola.com raised issues that too much iron might be linked to alzheimers. This book says it is the healthiest cookware....also many men have a disease where their body already produce too much iron, as I sat next to them in chemo. So I recommend Le Creuset, which we used at cooking school. It is enamaled cast iron, so you get the heat distribution of cast iron, and amazing slow cooked foods, while getting the health benefits and rust protection of the enamal glaze.
88 comments| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2014
I love Kris, read her blog and loved her other books. Her personality, creativity and attitude always inspire me. I ordered this book as soon as it came out, but as soon as it arrived and I flipped through it, I was disappointed. Seriously? All these chef recipes put me off. I'm an expert cook, a long-time vegetarian and no stranger to health food stores and curious ingredients. But even so, I knew these recipes would be once-in-a-while special occasion meals, not everyday working kitchen staples. Fortunately, I do not have a chronic illness, but I can hardly imagine someone who isn't feeling well tackling these ambitious production recipes!

What I was hoping for were healthful recipes that could be used everyday. For a comparison, I often cook from "Cooking Cancer in the Kitchen" by Ramke and Scott. It comes from the same nutritional and philosophical approach as Carr, but the recipes are MUCH simpler and do-able for people who are busy, or coping with chronic health issues. Perhaps Kris's next cookbook can focus on simpler, everyday recipes. This book, however, I returned.
22 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2016
Great Book, well written and laid out and has Kris's great energy and personality laced thru it. Being a Breast Cancer Survivor of 10 years now this sort of info is great to have and is great for people just trying to take good care of themselves. Worth the purchase and the read.
on November 28, 2016
I love the recipes in this book! Ive been making something different everyday!
on April 17, 2013
I <3 Kris Carr so much! All her fun little comments make it a great read. This is a beautiful full color cookbook with many exciting recipes that have enticing photos. And there is a lot of resource information. However, I did not realize that all the recipes were Vegan. (Not that that's a bad thing, I just wasn't expecting it.) I love to cook and do so multiple x's a day but felt most of these recipes were inaccessible to the working family. I would say each has an average of 15 ingredients but some were upwards of 30. And many of those ingredients are items you would need to purchase at a specialty store. They will not be at your local grocer. I would prepare them for a special occasion but definitely not a "whip something up for dinner after your 9-5" type of a book. Which is why I gave it 4 stars in stead of 5. It's still an awesome book and as Kris says, "Change your plate; change your fate!"
on April 2, 2014
I loved this book as an addition to Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet book. The recipes are clear, aren't too hard to make and love all the photos. It's also got lots of info about tools of the trade & ingredients, so it would be great for a beginner also. If you are looking for a yummy plant based cookbook, this is a great one.
on May 19, 2017
Kris Carr has an amazing story and just as an amazing cookbook. lots of healthy tips and suggestions in the book as well as lots of great tasting recipes. you wont be disappointed in this purchase.
on February 4, 2013
This books is amazing. It is filled with great information about health, useful cooking tips, and amazing recipes. Kris Carr explains the benefits of plant empowered eating as well as serving as a beautiful role model for a healthy and balanced life. The cooking tips are great and have really helped me in the kitchen. I enjoy cooking more, I save more time, and I'm encouraged to try new things. And the food... Oh the food! Everything I've tried has been wonderful (which is almost every recipe!) and I know that its good for me too. I've used many of the recipes to bring to parties and people cannot tell it's completely plant-based. I've been asked for the recipes. I have left the book our on the counter only to find my friends reading it in the kitchen. I have also sent this book as a gift to family and friends and have heard nothing but excited reviews and thank yous. This book has also helped me to get my man to eat his veggies so just for that, this book has paid for itself a hundred times over. I've now incorporated many of my favorites (Mango Coconut Millet, Crazy Sexy Kale, Strawberry Fields Smoothie, Avo Toast, and the list goes on) into my daily routine and have gone days at a time without eating any animal products. It's pretty amazing. If you think vegetarian food is boring, this book with change your mind! It's crazy, sexy, delicious!
on August 3, 2017
I am a Kris Carr follower. Love to read her newsletters and the meditations and especially the way she makes you feel about yourself.
on December 9, 2012
After following Kris Carrs blog for many years, I was very excited to see her cookbook. The informational chapters in the front are chuck full of great health information and tips. I am very excited to try the truffle edamame dumplings! The recipes in the book seen very user friendly. A few require a dehydrator, which I don't have. So I do wish the book included an oven method as an alternative. All in all this is a great cookbook for someone dealing with health issues. It is also a great resource for those without ailments who are simply looking for ways to improve their diet.