Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 150 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on October 31, 2009
Lee Cockerell, by his own admission, wasn't a very easy person to work with. After getting whacked on the head a few times with various office supply products, wielded by unhappy co-workers, he got the message: Lighten up. It's a message many people currently engaged in "business" (including more than a few CEOs) need to heed. Watch out, that next clipboard may have your name on it.

Sometimes it takes a good smack on the head by a clipboard, or a swift kick in the pants, to make us understand that we need to get along with people in order to succeed. That's such a simple concept, but one that so often is dismissed by so many, especially the higher up the corporate ladder they climb.

Fortunately, Lee Cockerell got the message, loud and clear. The rest is contemporary American business history. He went on to great accomplishments with the Disney empire, simply by learning how to effectively engage with people; especially those working under him.

For anyone looking for the most basic & wonderfully "common sense" approach to leadership, look no further than this terrific book. Read it, and you too, may create some magic.
on December 1, 2015
This book is a wealth of information delivered like a special talk shared between you and a man who has lived a blessed life. You learn from someone who has not only "talked the talk... but walked the walk." This is a read for those who want to understand what made Disney such a successful company, what talents and values came forth to make a fantastic working environment for cast members and their management teams. I really enjoyed the common sense truisms and felt encouraged to put them into practice to improve my patient care and co-worker relationships. I liked the challenge to think about your core values. I'm glad I found this book and will be reading many more of Lee's books.
on October 25, 2008
Most of us judge ourselves based on our intentions. The people around us judge us based upon our behaviors. As leaders, we must make sure that our behaviors support our intentions. This is one of the many lessons I've learned from Walt Disney World, a legendary culture created and sustained under the exemplary leadership of Lee Cockerell, WDW's former Executive VP of Operations. In "Creating Magic," Lee Cockerell explains how to make that kind of loving, caring, respectful leadership a practical reality. Lee shows leaders in all walks of life how to operationalize a culture of caring in every sphere of influence. "Creating Magic" is the most inspiring and the most practical book on leadership I have ever read.
on February 11, 2009
Overall, Mr. Cockerell's book provides straightforward and common sense lessons for creating better companies, better employees, and a better you. I appreciate the frank and honest approach taken in the book. The author discusses his successes and failures evenly, even when his mistakes led to physical retribution from his employees! Considering the hospitality industry's complex operational and HR issues, I can appreciate his recommendations that are easily implementable yet powerful ways to improve a business.

One issue I have with the book, while not directly relevant to the overall subject, is not discussing in enough detail the importance of developing a company's long-term strategy for success. Anecdotally, I have heard that Disney has a large number of fresh out of business school MBAs that are more concerned about short term profits and cost control than maintaining high quality standards and preserving long-term brand identity. I would be interested to get the author's reaction to this challenge, which he surely must have dealt with during Eisner's last years as CEO. While the author must consider his relationship with his former employer, it would have been interesting to get his reaction to a sore subject that many would argue has challenged the long-term success of Disney's brand.

I hope Mr. Cockerell considers writing more life and business lessons in a future book. I will be among those to purchase a copy!
on August 13, 2015
I felt like this was a good start for a leadership book. Every time I picked it up it gave me good ideas on how to improve not just my leadership skills but also the communication between members of my team.

I'm glad I read it. I think it is beneficial and worth having in everyone's library.

The reason why I gave it 3 stars is because at times the chapters dragged on and were s bit repetitive and long. Otherwise nicely done.
on June 23, 2009
Absolutely an amazing book. Lee has such an insight into what works in a leadership position and what won't. I have already begun to utilize his suggestions with great success. Even if you are not in a position of leadership, this will help build your sense of self, and is great for business and Disney fans alike!!
on October 23, 2015
Love this book! Great positive perspective on being a leader. Has several real world examples changing some of my own perspectives on how to look at process and management. There are many bulletin takeaways but a great reference to have from time to time.
on July 4, 2015
This book from start to finish teaches many core ideas of how to run a successful business. If you take to heart what is taught you can't go wrong. So glad I purchased it and would gladly do so again. A+++ would recommend.
on June 8, 2015
Lee Cockerell brings forth the magic in this useful management guide. His practiced approach from one of the top companies in the world demonstrates that great leadership comes from the top. This book gives insight to some great techniques for any business leader to use for their organization on how to manage people, concepts, and strategies from the top down. I found myself immersed in this book from start to finish, jotting down concepts that Cockerell points out and giving me ideas for my own company.
on June 22, 2015
I wish that this book was available when I first started out in management. It is a compendium of a lifetime's experience by someone who started at the bottom and worked his way to the top. This should be required reading for anyone thinking of a career in management.