Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Creative Concrete Ornaments for the Garden: Making Pots, Planters, Birdbaths, Sculpture & More
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on March 13, 2006
I am thrilled to have this book. I knew people were doing this type of work, and I have wanted to know how. Other books have provided bits & pieces, but Sherri's book is THOROUGH. Each time I came up with a question in my mind as I was reading, the answer would be on one of the next pages. After reading through her book, I feel confident and inspired to take on projects I had been afraid to tackle. She shows a wide variety of projects -- her instructions are CLEAR and easy to follow. I shared this with my sister (out of state) & her comment was, "I can't believe you let loose of this!" A truly inspiring book!
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2005
I like this book because it has very detailed "how to" instructions to make concrete ornaments for your garden. The "how to" illustrations are very clear. The photographs of actual designs are beautiful.
on August 29, 2006
This has been one of the most enjoyable creative books I have purchased in a long time. I orginally got it for my business which is moving into concrete molding and casting. I knew my mom would thoroughly enjoy it and immediately bought a copy for her as an Amazon gift. She LOVES it and immediately began playing with concrete using some of her ideas for her desert garden. So thinking about it...I decided to buy my own copy! Next summer I plan on doing several of the creative ideas in it, but with my own artistic twist. I can't wait!

So purchase a copy and get ready to play in concrete knowing all the details necessary to have a successful, artistic outcome!

Many years have past since I wrote this review...yet I had to add more after seeing what my mother created based off of ideas from this book. She created several fan and leaf-shaped pieces ensuring that the base has a moderate slant serving as a drain system due to the rare monsoon rainwater that drips off her adobe-style home in Arizona. Using a water-proofing medium provided a sealant allowing these pieces to survive not only the water, but the extreme 100 degrees Fahrenheit temperatures that are often a daily occurrence in the summer. These are not only decorative but extremely functional. Other items she made based off of the book are also incredible and useful. Definitely a great purchase for DIY projects!
on November 15, 2008
I was looking for a book to teach me how to make hypertufa pots for the garden. This book not only does that, but it has all sorts of projects made out of concrete. It contains several different concrete "recipes" for making these projects. There are about 25 projects in the book, with complete step-by-step instructions. There are lots of full-color pictures, which I think is essential for a good crafts book. In addition to the projects, there are many photos of works by other artists which is great if you're looking for inspiration. The author has even included their website addresses at the back of the book.
on August 24, 2007
I really enjoyed this book. It is detailed and the projects are vastly different from one another. What I also appreciated is the emphasis on doing things right, such as waiting for the concrete to set for 24 days is an example on an item. More emphasis on the internal structure using wire, rebar, etc. I would highly recommend this book and I am anxious to put into use what it taught me.
on April 7, 2007
The author is very thorough on this subject and provides extensive desciptions of concrete ornament projects and concrete mixes. The only frustration I had was that in most examples a picture of the completed project was not included until the final chapter. It would have been more helpful after the description of 'how to' make the project. I think most would find this book extremely helpful by taking you from start to finished project.
on October 4, 2009
I have searched the web, researched via Youtube and taken classes. This book is no doubt the best manual if you are interested in making items using cement. The recipe pages were especially helpful. Equally good for the novice and the experienced craftsman.
on April 10, 2012
Great book. This is the second book by Sheri Hunter I've purchased. I'm a concrete repair contractor, and find a lot of her information practical and useful in my business. Very helpful for sculpture too!
on June 28, 2008
This book contains many "recipes" for making concrete containers and concrete art. The book contains many full color photographs to guide you through each project step by step. The instructions are thorough and easy to follow. I've already made the hypertufa planters and stepping stones. The author also included numerous photos (and website links) of other artists' works. I found this book to be very inspiring.
on November 5, 2006
I love cement and this book inspires all my creative juices. It's a rare find as there are hardly any books out there on this subject. Easy to read, easy to do. The projects are simply inspiring!