Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Creative Fitness Door Gym Extension Bars
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

on June 20, 2008
I was really excited to get the door gym, but when I first put it up I noticed that my door frame was just slightly too wide. If the door gym was about an inch or two longer on either side I would have been set. So I purchased these extension bars and, guess what, the previous reviews are right - these extension bars are worthless. I junked them and instead made my own extension bars that have worked out GREAT! I purchased two 1/2" by 12" steel tubes from my local hardware store (plumbing section) and slid them into each end after removing the end caps. They slide in perfectly and stop when they hit a set of screws. To tighten the fit and to make them just a little bit longer, I used electrical tape and taped three nickels to each end and slid them again again (nickel side first). Perfect! Then I just put the end caps on the the exposed threaded end of the steel tube (the end caps go OVER the steel tube) and slid the piece of foam back over the exposed steel. You would never even be able to tell that these were extended!

The bottom line is that if you door is too wide for the door gym (which again is an AWESOME product), don't stress, but also don't buy these. 1/2" steel tubing works great, can be had for under five bucks and can be as long or as short as you need them to be.
review image review image review image
2020 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2008
I bought the Creative Fitness Door gym because it was the only pullup bar that would fit a large door frame -- with the addition of these extender bars.

However, the extenders secure to the main bar by a thread (LITERALLY) inside and you are supposed to twist them until the thread weaves and tightens around the bar. As you can guess, BOTH the threads broke on the bars after I bought them.

While the CF Door Gym is a good product, don't buy it if your door is bigger than the recommended width and you are planning to use these extenders.
on July 8, 2009
Ok, I really would like to thank O. Ivy for his DIY alternative. Screw spending $20 on extenders! I did exactly as he said, bought 2) 13"x 1/2" black pipes, put them in the hole, and electrically taped them together when the orginal bar ended and the home bought bar protruded. However, I found a much better solution to the nickels. Instead, I used 3/4" white rubber chair leg tips to go over the exposed end of the bar. Works great!!!! Don't buy the extenders! The bars, tape, and rubber tips cost only $5.34! Thanks again Ivy. Do it yourself is the way to go.
on August 30, 2010
I bought the IronGym extreme and my door frame was a bit too wide. Instead of buying the extension bars that got poor reviews I read what O.Ivy suggested and tweaked it a little. Worked perfectly and cost me $2.50 and was not difficult to do. I took off the caps on the ends and bought (2) 3/4" diameter steel pipes from home depot that I had gotten cut to a length of 5.5". Simply plugged in the pipe which fit pretty snug, electrical taped the steel bar and the original bar together and put the grip from the old end to the new steel bar end. Fit perfectly. FYI, IronGym extreme offers an extended long bar for 17 dollars but I could not find it on the website. It is on the mail-in offer sheet they give when you buy the product.
on April 13, 2012
I have purchased the iron gym pull up bars while I was away on a field team, I was staying at a hotel for two weeks. Didn't realize the standard width wasn't wide enough for the door frame at the hotel. What a bummer. Two weeks w/o pullups. Bought these. They work great fit like a champ. The iron gym does come with a mail away extension set also. But that was after the fact. So. All in all. They fit the iron gym pullup bars and work!
on March 20, 2009
I do not know what problems the previous people had, but I followed the directions precisely and had no trouble, whatsoever. It takes a little finesse to get the extender threads in, but after that, worked like a charm.
on September 24, 2011
They didn't come with instructions and they are clearly not made by the same company. They fit loosely on the original apparatus, but your weight holds them in place, so they do the trick. I'd just prefer something that was made specifically for the original product.
on August 3, 2010
I needed extenders for my iron gym pull up bar I bought from target. These fit just fine.
on May 11, 2013
Just follow what O. Ivy said and buy Two (1/2)inch pipes. (Yes 1/2 inch is fine, 3/4 might be too wide) and electric tape.
It works like a charm and is a fun/rewarding project to do in a weekend afternoon.
on May 24, 2009
I don't really understand all the poor reviews for these extensions. I was quite nervous buying them given the poor feedback, but I decided to give them a shot as they weren't too expensive. I'm really glad I did!

The extensions work great on my door (36" wide), and I'm amazed by how stable the whole bar is once its up. There is no movement at all when doing pull ups, but the bar is still really easy to put up and take down. I did notice that the extensions felt a little loose when I first put them on, but after twisting them around a few times they locked on tight. (There is a string inside the extension which I assume is meant to wrap round the main bar once the extension is attached - hence the need to twist the extensions on.)

The instructions about how to attach the extensions aren't very clear which is the only reason I'm giving 4 stars.

See 1 answered question